Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Meight the mini. Now mini van

BronkoMini

301 Posts
Member #: 10610

Wiltshire

Found the best thing for leaning the bike on(dud engine)*wink*

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

So just added up the costs from where we had the car restored in 2012, it came to £4296.00 that's before replacing all the rusty extras like the exhaust, brake lines etc, now in 2015 it's gettjng a complete restoration again, so at the rate this is going to be one expensive mini city E. It's going be around the 10 grand mark by the the time I have finished it this time! :( I'm sure it's nothing compared to what most of you lot have spent on yours though. #studentproblems

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

So today I took the glass out, and took the doors off, I can see why people get fibreglass doors now:

One slight hiccup, whilst removing the windscreen, it was very well sealed, the glass was stuck to the rubber with black sealing stuff, bugger!

I then got my driver (brother) to drive me to Somerford minis with the well suited speed bumps for minis!

And I came back with these:

With the car mostly stripped I don't think I'll need a whole new floor, should save a fair bit of time and money:

Once I've welded them in it shouldn't be long until I can take the sub frames off and complete the rest of the welding ready for it to be sent off to get the cage fitted. The glass is cracked if you cant see it.

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

So today I got the mini out of the garage cut out the drivers side front floor bit, then the heavens opened, for flips sake!

Perfect for Fred Flintstone:

Also not had a reply from the place I was going to get the roll cage fitted, so I have though about getting one of these instead should be cheaper and as its not going to be a full race car I think it would suite my needs.

Any one got any thoughts on it?

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/...~cage.aspx|Back to shop

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

I had a look at the head today and noticed that between above the cyclender where the block was cracked and the gasket blew the cylinder head is really rough, is this a major problem or do you think a skim of the head would solve this, just hope this doesn't mean I'll have to scrap the head as that would scupper my plans.
Thanks

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

So managed to get a couple of hours on it today, did my first bit of welding on a mini today, wasn't the worst and wasn't the best, it was hard to get enough penertration without blowing holes, think I've got it sussed out now.

First patch, it was quite complicated with the angles and bend:

Then I ran out off cutting discs so I had to go and buy some more, when I got back I cut out the rough shape of the repair panel:

Oh the mini and his replacement:

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

So today I made the final cuts the the panel and tacked it in place:

I spent. Good hour with the off cuts trying to get the setting for the welder sorted, I can't seem to get the right settings as it either blows holes or doesn't penertrate, really annoying!

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

The panel fit looks good.

I would advise that you get a proper gas cylinder and regulator. The throw away ones are pretty inconsistent at best, so can affect your welding especially when out doors.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

On 8th Apr, 2015 apbellamy said:
The panel fit looks good.

I would advise that you get a proper gas cylinder and regulator. The throw away ones are pretty inconsistent at best, so can affect your welding especially when out doors.

Thanks, I've been told there not very good, but I don't have much spare room to store a big cylinder.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Heard same advice, but i wack my disposables on full n comes out perfect, panel fit does look good!

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

On 8th Apr, 2015 D4VE said:
Heard same advice, but i wack my disposables on full n comes out perfect, panel fit does look good!

I'll try turning it up to full, also looks like it's best to push away from the pool on thin metal, took me ages to get the fit right, spent basically a whole day fetling with it, hopefully I'll do the other side quicker.

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

So I managed to get the panel fully welded in, I just played dot to dot, in the end I went a bit overkill, just need to grind the welds down and do the other side:

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

Not so much of an update, but funds for the mini are slightly low as this happened.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Oops, sturdy gate post.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Gate post.... could of made something more interesting up lol

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

On 6th May, 2015 D4VE said:
Gate post.... could of made something more interesting up lol

To be honest a car was about to smash into a mother pushing a pram on the pavement, I saw this and managed to get between the car and the mother and saved the day. I didn't want to say this because I didn't want to seem big headed! :)
But seriously I've been getting so serious stick for this, everyone thinks it's hillarious.

Edited by BronkoMini on 6th May, 2015.

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

That will pull out its a defender

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Well u know u done a good thing! N aslong as the mother does too!... but back to the gate post, go back to it n say u done this youll fix it! Couple chains wrapped round to the right places n few hard reverses itll like new again! Find big muddy puddle to cover up the paint n jobs a good'n

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

On 7th May, 2015 D4VE said:
Well u know u done a good thing! N aslong as the mother does too!... but back to the gate post, go back to it n say u done this youll fix it! Couple chains wrapped round to the right places n few hard reverses itll like new again! Find big muddy puddle to cover up the paint n jobs a good'n

Haha, good ideas

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

Little update, finished uni for the summer so I can get sometime spent on the mini until I go away for harvest.

So I made him into Fred Flintstones car again:

Then I cut the panel to the rough shape:

Then got bored of cutting so moved meight next to Rosie for there first picture together:

Also if all goes to plan I shall be picking up a metro turbo engine and parts on the weekend so I needed to make some room for the engine, so I took my last engine I bought that ended up having a cracked block and split it in half:

Quite difficult on my own:

Everything other than the block is in really good condition:

And space for the new to me engine, ive got 3 engines now, I just hope this new engine will run well:

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

How do you change the topic title?

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

Any way had a successful trip, I am now the owner of a metro turbo engine:

Edited by BronkoMini on 13th Jun, 2015.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Go to your first thing you wrote and click on edit...

On 13th Jun, 2015 BronkoMini said:

I take it you took the crane to get it in the back?! How many pennys that cost?

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

Ok thanks, and we had three of us to lift it in the back, and it cost just a bit more than the 998 that I bought, it came with manifolds carb turbo plenum and intercooler and hoses, I think I got a good deal on it as long as it works fine, the build of the engine is on here and it looks like it was done well.

On 13th Jun, 2015 D4VE said:

Go to your first thing you wrote and click on edit...
On 13th Jun, 2015 BronkoMini said:

I take it you took the crane to get it in the back?! How many pennys that cost?

BronkoMini

301 Posts

Wiltshire

And it was £800

Home > Show Us Yours! > Meight the mini. Now mini van
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: