Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Lambda / AFR Gauge only

nky_84

218 Posts
Member #: 9213

Scotland

Hi guys,

I'm looking to purchase a AFR gauge, but all the ones im looking at seem to come with sensors and controllers and do fancy things i dont need. I already have a sensor and controller from 14point7 but i didnt buy the gauge for some reason....

Anyone any suggestions on where i can buy a gauge on its own that is compatible with the above. When i last looked on 14point7 it said they were out of stock http://www.14point7.com/products/solid-afr-gauge. They now seem to be in stock but i could do with it early next week and it seems a bit OTT to get what i thought would be a an easy find, shipped from half way round the world...

If anyone has any ideas or has a 2nd hand one FS, please let me know!

Thanks,
Nick

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

I think innovate sell gauges seperately, Youd have to check compatibility of course

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Assuming you just intend to use the 0-5V analogue output of the controller to drive the gauge you need one with the same scaling as the 14point7.

For some reason the different manufactures have slightly different ranges of AFRs that 0-5V covers, 8-18, 9-19, or 10-20 being the common ones.
I can't remember of the top of my head which 14point7 is (I use their stuff but I use the digital outputs) beut you need to check before considering someone else's gauge.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

nky_84

218 Posts

Scotland

So ive had a better look at this and the 14point7 gauge is Analog Input, 0[v] @ 10AFR linear to 5[v] @ 20 AFR

and the innovate gauges are
0v = 7.35 A/F and 5v = 22.39A/F.

Think i'll just purchase the gauge from 14point7 direct as it works out pretty much the same cost and avoids compatibility issues. Has anyone used any of the eurpean 14point7 dealers or best to go direct and wait out the postage / customs surprises...

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

Customs will definitely catch it and charge you VAT plus an £8 fee. Delivery for me was VERY slow from Canada, and probably not helped by customs. There were also errors with my kits that caused more delays, but I'd hope there's a lot less chance of problems if your only ordering a single item.

At the time, I'm pretty sure there was no-one else stocking 14point7 products over here, but I can see headportingsupplies.co.uk currently has a range.

http://headportingsupplies.co.uk/index.php...ategory&path=85

I just compared a single product, and after VAT, fees and postage you'll save maybe 20% by ordering from them. Have you spotted any other dealers?

Edited by PhilR on 18th May, 2015.

nky_84

218 Posts

Scotland

When i bought previously from 14point7 direct it wasnt caught by customs but it did take while to arrive.

I cant find any official UK dealers, although there are a few in europe according to http://www.14point7.com/pages/14point7-dealer-list

I had a look at headportingsupplies and when you try to add the gauge to basket, it says its not in stock. I've sent them an email, so will see what comes back.

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

Ok, just had a quick search and there looks like there's a £135 cut off point for customs...

http://www.dutycalculator.com/help_center/...xes-are-waived/

Edited by PhilR on 18th May, 2015.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I've never been caught by customs from Canada but Alan is now (I think still, he did with me last time) shipping through the USA so the risk is higher.

He seems to have a business model along the lines of what do the worst companies do and I'll see if I can take the ball even lower.

A real shame as the products are good.

I doubt anyone serious in the EU would take on his business, he's not big enough and his reputation for customer service now is well known.

But if you're patient, and use PayPal properly, it's worthwhile IMO.

nky_84

218 Posts

Scotland

@rod - do you know if the innovate gauge would be compatible given the above voltage ranges and output values. Is there anything clever in the controller that would sort the slight discrepancies? I have a 14point7 controller currently wired to the ecu but i want to control via a gauge.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Depends which 14point7 controller you have.

As far as I'm aware, all his current stuff is fixed at 0-5V = 10-20AFR but I'm fairly certain some of his earlier controllers could be be programmed, just like early Innovate stuff, for a different voltage vs AFR range.

Obviously, if the one you have is re-programmable, you would also have to reset the curve in your ECU to match its new output range.
But the innovate curve is also very common so if your 14point7 is one of the earlier ones that could match that curve your proposed gauge would be no problem and the ECU should already have the Innovate curve as an option.

Check his website for the model you have, it should be clear in the documentation - that is one thing he is quite good with - whether your model can be re-programmed.

EDIT - typos, grammer

Edited by Rod S on 18th May, 2015.

nky_84

218 Posts

Scotland

cool, thanks for that. Will take a look tonight.

Home > General Chat > Lambda / AFR Gauge only
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: