Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > No or very little oil pressure

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Americans do some strange things at times.

What do you think a copper gasket would achieve ?

And are you worrying about cranking pressure only, or have you actually run the engine to see what it is actually doing ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Steve220

244 Posts
Member #: 11017

Shropshire

On 28th Oct, 2023 stevieturbo said:
Americans do some strange things at times.

What do you think a copper gasket would achieve ?

And are you worrying about cranking pressure only, or have you actually run the engine to see what it is actually doing ?

I concur. However with owners sometimes blowing the oil pump gasket, it was merely a strength thing, however a bit of wider material between the inner part of the pump and its seat against the block could potentially help - again, this was inner musings.

I am. I've not run the engine, mainly as when i had a new KAD pump on the previous build, i made 80psi on cranking alone. Appreciate ive got more parasitical add ons, but even still, i'm sure its not supposed to be that low.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

do you know if there is a pressure valve in your oil jets? I recall mine wont open below 30psi so it ruled out impact on low pressure at idle

Steve220

244 Posts

Shropshire

On 30th Oct, 2023 Rob Gavin said:
do you know if there is a pressure valve in your oil jets? I recall mine wont open below 30psi so it ruled out impact on low pressure at idle

Yeh, valves in all

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

What he said. If your jets are opening at 30psi (if), added to that all the other parasitic losses 30psi cranking would be acceptable. Once your engine is running expect that to climb instantly. I mean whats your cranking rpm 500-600rpm vs your engine idle which will be around 1000.

Edited by Mr Joshua on 2nd Nov, 2023.

Own the day

Steve220

244 Posts

Shropshire

Cranking is 250rpm, I guess you're right, but I did have a panic it took so long to get ANY oil pressure

Mr Joshua

2486 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

250! That is slow. Is your battery new?

Own the day

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 6th Nov, 2023 Mr Joshua said:

My V8 cranks under 200 rpm. Recent S&J turbo Cossie engine was 180rpm. Subaru build some time ago around 150rpm first cranks.

IMO 250 isn't low at all

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Steve220

244 Posts

Shropshire

On 6th Nov, 2023 Mr Joshua said:

New battery, charged, no plugs in. 250rpm on both OEM and aftermarket (pattern) starter.

A colleague that is going through something similar with the KAD pump has helped do some research:

Me - pulled the turbo pump apart to check sizes. The rotor and annulus are approx 50% taller than the OEM, and approx 0.5mm wider. There is a groove between the high and low pressure sides of the base under the rotor - Some sort of bleed/pressure control? The cap has 2 'pockets' in it that match up to the high and low pressure sides. No hole for rear cam bearing oil feed.

From KAD - The race pump is thinner than OEM and super finished to prevent cavitation at high rpm. The pump is designed to live around 6-8krpm crank (3-4rpm pump speed). Flow at hot idle will always be low because of this. Flow is less than the OEM pump (approx 5gpm from what i've read online)

AC Dodd - 'Don't use a thinner oil pump for a turbo engine!'. He recommends an OEM size pump on a turbo engine, or a turbo pump if using oil jets. He MAY look at doing zero tolerance turbo pumps in the future *Clapping* Not sure if any of you are on the classic mini turbo supercharge group, but i showed the pics of the new pump I got from MS, the base around the rear cam bearing is much larger now than previous iterations, however it is missing the rear cam bearing oil feed hole. AC recommended drilling the same size hole (1.5mm) in the same location. This information will be passed to MS to hopefully improve the design. The pockets in the cap are 'wells' to aid flow.

I hope this is of some use to peeps.

Edited by Steve220 on 8th Nov, 2023.

Steve220

244 Posts

Shropshire

For some reference

KAD pump on the left, OEM on the right.

OEM on the left, turbo pump on the right.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > No or very little oil pressure
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: