Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Introduce Yourself > Hello there! 998 Turbo?

ImSteah

7 Posts
Member #: 11170

Hi! Im Tom,

I own a 1989 "racing" (jeez i hate using that word to describe my less than fast mini) green!

it recently decided, in ringwood, about 50 miles from home, "nah, screw you, imma blow up" so when better to do a full engine rebuild! (i have since discovered the head had never been off, original head gasket, all the gaskets were original actually, and besides me changing the rad about 6 months ago, its never been touched) I figure, while its in bits, on the garage floor, why not 'beef it up' a tad! with a turbo! *evil*

she is (very surprisingly) rust free! so i actually have a good basis to start from! despite no MOT, or tax or insurance, but that means i can spend my summer holidays making boost!

so yeah, err? what the heck do i need to do, do i need to touch internals? does it have to run a megajolt, i do motorsport at college so fairly switched on, but always best to get some advice from people who have actually done it! experience over theory! i have been told a 998 is fairly bullet proof, so i was thinking about just leaving it stock inside, fitting a suck through system, and leaving it, but obviously i wouldnt be here if i was stubborn enough to just try and probably cause more damage...

here is "Henry" as he sat before le 'splosion

oh and being 18 i really dont care about practical, or legal for that matter (obviously i will declare to insurance) but if the exhaust just has to come out of the centre of the bonnet (all of the back pressure there...) so be it *smiley*

Anthony30

144 Posts
Member #: 10828
Advanced Member

Rainhill, Merseyside.

Nice car. Good luck anyhoo. *smiley* *Yes*

On 18th Nov, 2014 D4VE said:
went down to my local hydraulics place and he gave me a suitable replacement larger nipple *smiley*

ImSteah

7 Posts

Thank you! *smiley* im actually learning a lot just looking around now! boost is looking more and more promising! *happy*

Mike-998

882 Posts
Member #: 9774
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Lots of good write-ups on here and http://www.turbo-mini.com/index2.html, theres a 998 build documented on there and many people have completed it before. The show us yours section has the build threads in it. Mine is in the link below, may be of some use to you.

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...tid=469104&fr=0

Anthony30

144 Posts
Advanced Member

Rainhill, Merseyside.

Are you planning on cutting the bulkhead, or squeezing it in with a Matty manifold? *indifferent*

went down to my local hydraulics place and he gave me a suitable replacement larger nipple *smiley*

ImSteah

7 Posts

squeezing it in *smiley* not sure what you mean by matty manifold? but it will be jammed in where the carb currently is, sitting probably just proud of the bonnet, hence my lack of care for the exhaust routing up :)

kinda like this, but obviously the turbo facing the other way, to pull the carb away from the rad... but would the extra heat from the rad not help to prevent icing or am i having a blonde moment?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=385826

JT

2742 Posts
Member #: 637
Post Whore

Hertfordshire

welcome to the club mate!
Plenty of information on this site

My build thread..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=542985

Anthony30

144 Posts
Advanced Member

Rainhill, Merseyside.

On 5th Jul, 2015 ImSteah said:
squeezing it in *smiley* not sure what you mean by matty manifold? but it will be jammed in where the carb currently is, sitting probably just proud of the bonnet, hence my lack of care for the exhaust routing up :)

kinda like this, but obviously the turbo facing the other way, to pull the carb away from the rad... but would the extra heat from the rad not help to prevent icing or am i having a blonde moment?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=385826

Matty, Fusion Fabrications, designs custom exhaust manifolds to fit the turbo behind the bulkhead, without any mods.*happy*

ImSteah

7 Posts

was just gonna custom fab myself one :) and rotate the compressor housing so the exhaust ejects out of the bonnet, right in front of the windscreen, obviously i will not use my good bonnet, ill buy a fibreglass one and chop it

ImSteah

7 Posts

run a stack made out of a cherry bomb would be something different XD

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

Welcome. Its always nice to work on an engine that no one has taken apart before you. How many miles has it done? Do you know what went bang?

ImSteah

7 Posts

surprisingly 27000, 2k of which was me *smiley*

and it was only the head gasket, but i have had numerous little problems before so when better than now to do a full rebuild and make sure all is good *smiley*

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Bit of a silly idea having the turbo sticking out the bonnet side way if it shits itself it's gonna cover your window screen.

ImSteah

7 Posts

True Chalkie, but i dont mean sticking out of the bonnet though... just the housing edge sitting proud... and the exhaust. it doesnt have to, its just for ease of install, i dont want to try and cram it in somewhere it doesnt belong... that will just cause me more problems, i know i can buy stuff to do it, but i want to try something different (i know im making more problems doing that, contradicting myself) but i will learn the idiotic way as per usual *tongue*

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

a warm welcome

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

thats one stand out thing about the don turbo in front of the window

i will say that a x pin diff center might be worth doing

Home > Introduce Yourself > Hello there! 998 Turbo?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: