Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > i feel like ive gone back in time!

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

GONE are the days of stripping a mini and sending it off to the scrappy?
The days of finding them minis in someones garden? The forgotten ones... cos no one really scraps minis now days? Rotten minis still go for hundreds on ebay etc.. most have been found etc etc...

Until this evening!! I was at MiniWorld live on sunday when i bumped into a guy i recognised from my hometown.. began speaking and he said his mrs' father inlaw passed away and are clearing some cars from his back garden, including a couple minis... i was warned they were rotten! But was hoping maybe that was just his version of rotten.. but then also i was hoping that they were rotten so they could only be parts cars and i wouldnt feel bad about stripping them!

Anyways... me n my friend laurie went round this evening to a house i must of gone past 100's of times!! And there they were.. returning to the earth! A 79 clubby 1100 and a 79 brown city.. been sat there since mid 90's.. you could literally pop the roof skin off the city (actually didnt have the keys so just pulled on the rear valance and the boot fell off!)
The clubbys b pillars are non existant! Safe to say they would brake in half if u moved them.. so parts cars they are!..we have free range of the garden this week to strip what we want before they go off to heaven.. the clubby reads 10,500 miles and it could be right cos silly stuff like all the shear bolts on the steering column were like new and just came off so easy..

Anyway! It just feels like ive gone back in time to the days u saw a mini in the scrap yard n sat there robbin bits.. or the time you used to knock on a grannys door to ask if you could buy the mini on the drive.. its sureal that theyve been there all that time n no ones got to them years ago! Im just having fun stripping these minis like i used to when i was a kid.. its just an extra bonus that im getting some needed bits *smiley*

Ill get some piccys up during the week..

Forgot to say apparently a jeep and some other old car has been collected by the local scrappy/skip hire in exchange for a couple of skips to clear the yard... but we also learned that they also took a autograss mini with a few trick bits?! So i'll try hunt that down too...

Edited by D4VE on 6th Jul, 2015.

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

I does still happen from time to time. I'd grab everything you can, no matter how bad you think it is. No doubt, it will come in useful in a few years when simply standard bits get harder and harder to get hold of

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Yeah me n laurie are going back tonight we literally are getting every lil nut bolt bracket etc we can... its just we have to make an offer to the widower for the pile of bits we make... id love to get everything and then offer what i dont want on here but i have a feeling id be stuck with a lot of stuff haha.. theres a 72 vauxhall firenza that also is rotten that my friend steve will be either taking away if it moves or stripping

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

worst case, anything you don't want you can do a joblot on ebay or weight it in

Adam_R

603 Posts
Member #: 1938
Post Whore

near Dundee

On 7th Jul, 2015 Rob Gavin said:
I does still happen from time to time. I'd grab everything you can, no matter how bad you think it is. No doubt, it will come in useful in a few years when simply standard bits get harder and harder to get hold of

this is the mentality i have at the moment with bikes. everything is getting rather expensive and only going up and up in price, unfortunately I'm quickly running out of space.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Just back from our second evening of mini picking, managed to lift the clubby shell up n off from the front subby with 1100 engine, shell was so rotten the roofs the only thing connecting the front to the back! And it even creased when we lifted it.. loz has most of everything! Lol, ive only got couple steering columns, couple clubby grilles and bumpers, some opening rear windows and a good set of 10" steelys n 1 random weller, still gotta cut out the steering rack mount of one shell, and a nice non speaker holed rear parcel shelf outta the other

Home > General Chat > i feel like ive gone back in time!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: