Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Driveshaft/pot joint angles - lowered engine

adcyork

539 Posts
Member #: 6807
Post Whore

York

During the k1100 build I've decided to use an auto subframe to allow me to drop the engine down and gain bonnet clearance. I'm using a composite single skin bonnet so there is no gains to be had up top.

I've dropped the engine ~15mm which has solved the bonnet clearance issue. There is 5mm clearance from the cam cover to the underside of the bonnet now and I don't want to go any closer.

I haven't moved the engine forward or rearward from standard position and the driveshafts are currently parallel to the final drive axis in plan view.

After checking the driveshaft angles at full bump on the LH side (worst case, worst side because the shaft is short) I have found that the pot joints sit like this:

TOP VIEW

BOTTOM VIEW

I've canted the engine over on the adjustable top steady bar but even at the extreme this doesn't make a significant difference.

As they sit, I'm not happy with such a small amount of engagement. The centre of the balls at the bottom of the joint are only just within the pot itself so it really is on the limit.

What are people's thoughts? How do people manage to drop the engine down and make the driveshaft angles work?

Important to note that the joint is assembled correctly, ie not back to front.

Edited by adcyork on 8th Jul, 2015.

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Doesn't someone make the ball joint spacers think it's the Welsh guy who races them ah what's his name. The BMW mini suffers with this when you lower it alot so spacing the ball joints help move the hub up akittle and the bottom arm down

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

cut the shaft, and sleeve it.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

The ball joint spacers just change the angle of the lower arms to move the roll centre

On 9th Jul, 2015 Joe C said:
cut the shaft, and sleeve it.

This is the next option if there isn't any other solution

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I don't have that problem with Hardy spicers. It is now even easier to change to hardy spicers as Swiftune do output drive flanges that fit on pot joint splines. Clever!

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

On 9th Jul, 2015 Sprocket said:
I don't have that problem with Hardy spicers. It is now even easier to change to hardy spicers as Swiftune do output drive flanges that fit on pot joint splines. Clever!

Interesting... are all the parts available new to do this then?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

http://www.swiftune.com/Product/593/swiftu...diffs-pair.aspx

Edited by Sprocket on 9th Jul, 2015.

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Come to think about it, this is a similar problem to one that someone else posted recently and it was found that the cages were on back to font.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

good call on both counts, i forgot about the spicer adaptors.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

On 9th Jul, 2015 Sprocket said:
Come to think about it, this is a similar problem to one that someone else posted recently and it was found that the cages were on back to font.

In the first post up top I mention that the cages are definitely on the right way round.

I was considering spicers as opposed to the pot joints but compared to cut and welded driveshafts the whole assembly is not cost effective In my opinion. At just over £200 for the swiftune adapters plus £200 for a pair of spicer joints the cost mounts up very quickly indeed, for what is essentially an outdated design.

Callum

450 Posts
Member #: 10396
Advanced Member Formerly mk2turbo

Stoke-on-Trent

Spicer joints can be found for a lot less than that, my last set were £60. Just keep an eye out for them

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Are they not available new?

Callum

450 Posts
Member #: 10396
Advanced Member Formerly mk2turbo

Stoke-on-Trent

They are dave but £100 each

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

you should be able to lower the car untill the sump sits on the floor and still drive it ( as far as driveshaft angles go,
that pot joint looks like its been disassembled and rebuild with the internal cage back to front

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

On 10th Jul, 2015 Brett said:
you should be able to lower the car untill the sump sits on the floor and still drive it ( as far as driveshaft angles go,
that pot joint looks like its been disassembled and rebuild with the internal cage back to front

I was pretty confident it was on the right way but decided to remove and clean the crud off for a closer inspection. The pot joint is deffinelty assembled correctly:

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Ill agree that picture looks correct

Weird then

My previous comment was based on the fact ive done both lol
With masses of negative camber too and that would make the situation worse
I smashed a pot joint pulling onto a trailer thats how i found out they were 'inside out'

Edited by Brett on 11th Jul, 2015.

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

are you running metro hubs or anything like that?

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

I don't know what's involved in doing the automatic subframe swap and you haven't said what the other side looks like... Is there any chance your engine is now offset to the right?

Edited by PhilR on 11th Jul, 2015.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

To run the auto frame i take it your running blocks to compensate the difference? Could that be throwing it out?

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

How is the engagement on the other shaft as a comparison? Just wondering if the others have picked up on the possibility the engine is offset

adcyork

539 Posts
Post Whore

York

I'm running mini hubs so there's no trickery going on there.

To run the auto frame with the engine dropped I've got 4mm of spacing on each side so the engine is sat central in the frame.

I've confirmed the issue on the other side this morning which at full bump looks like this.

Top,

Bottom,

I also can't get full droop on the RHS as the shaft catches the bottom of the hole in the subframe, I'm confident there's enough meat for some local relief before it hits the bottom arm pin though.

Edited by adcyork on 12th Jul, 2015.

JetBLICK

243 Posts
Member #: 1261

Droitwich

Did you solve this? I've got the same problem.. I didnt know if there was anything like a metro or whatever with slightly longer drive shafts?

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I had similar issues when lowering my engine for my K build.
I found there is some gains in your rocker cover choice meaning a reduction in the required drop to allow clearance. the LT cover gives a height reduction of 5mm over the RS item, the 8V being the lowest (clearance issues were only discovered when making the transition from 8v to 16v).
I also fell foul of having the engine onset to the offside.
Shane

Attachments:

Edited by shane on 27th Jul, 2020.

JetBLICK

243 Posts
Member #: 1261

Droitwich

For me its more the fact the cars lowered too much. I haven't actually lowered the engine, as much as id like to.

I can make the whole problem go away by lifting the motor and that also gets rid of the disgusting drive shaft angles too. But I'm keen to experiment with this to try and keep the engine low, for COG purposes and also so i dont have to have a huge bonnet bulge.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Driveshaft/pot joint angles - lowered engine
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: