Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > How To > Simple Coil Bracket

seahuston

168 Posts
Member #: 10666
Advanced Member

California, USA

Built myself a nice little bracket today. I picked up a cheap brake and drill press a few weeks back and have been having fun figuring out how to make all these little brackets.

Here is it is all fitted up:

The bracket mounts on the two empty bolt holes of the flywheel case and then shares flywheel->block bolt for support.

Materials:
-16 gauge steel
-4x 10-32 1 1/4" screws and nuts

Tools:
-Drill
-Shears
-Jigsaw (or other metal cutting device)
-Brake (or vice and wood)

Disclaimers:
I didn't take a ton of pictures but I think you can figure it out.
This one I ended up making a ton of mistakes on so don't exactly follow my lead.
Also, I don't see why this wouldn't fit in the engine bay but let me know if I've made some kind of poor location choice.

Ready to continue?
I didn't take any measurements but traced out the coil on sheet of card board. Next I folded it up in a U so that it would sit up higher than the depth of the coil. To mark the bolt holes I used a bit of paint pen on the holes and then pressed the cardboard down. You can get more creative on the cutting and the corners but here is how my template looked:

Next, transfer to sheet metal, I used 16 gauge. If you have a larger sheet, I find it's easier to drill the holes first. I used a 3/8" drill for the big holes so that I would have some slop for mounting. Then, cut along the lines. I used my shears for most cuts and jigsaw to get into the corners.
To do the clearance area in the middle, I drilled a hole in each corner and then connected the corners with a jigsawy
Nearly complete:

Next, bend along you bend lines. Make sure you bend in the right direction!!!! I finished all my bends, went to install it and found I had done them all the wrong way. *angry* I didn't want to start a new one so I fought to flatten and bend the other way but it didn't come out as well as I would have liked.
Once it's bent, bolt it up! I found it was easiest to to the block bolt last and let that pull the bracket as needed.
Mounted up (not the most pretty bends):

Coil gets mounted up with some machine screws and you are good to go!
*tongue*

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

In that first picture it looks like your heater hose goes to the wastegate actuator.

Never seen that before - does it work well ?

seahuston

168 Posts
Member #: 10666
Advanced Member

California, USA

Just a trick to the eye. Heater hose runs over the bracket and connects to the turbo.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Just as well, I suppose !

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

Nice bit of fabrication. I need to make something similar for the metro but not sure where to mount it yet

Home > How To > Simple Coil Bracket
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: