Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Dual wideband and other stuff

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 16th Sep, 2015 Paul S said:
But a misfire and partial combustion are two totally different situations.

All the sensor measures is excess oxygen....where that oxygen comes from it really doesnt care ?

So to the sensor any non fire event will appear the same ? ie excess oxygen passing through.

As for hydrocarbons, raw fuel...again, the sensor has no ability to monitor or measure this so should be irrelevant ?

For a full picture a proper 4/5 gas would really be needed.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Stevie, with respect, your understanding of how a wideband sensor works is incorrect.

Just occured to me that I do have AFR data, upstream and downstream of the turbo from the 2009 rolling road day.

From the tailpipe sensor:

From an average of the logged AFR data:

Not a lot of difference, peaks and troughs in the same locations and generally similar values.

Edited by Paul S on 21st Sep, 2015.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

If it doesnt measure excess oxygen, what does it measure then ?

And certainly it does not give any reading that corresponds to raw fuel.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

The carbon and hydrogen in the exhaust gases are also involved in the wideband sensor measurement process. Have a look at this: http://www.megamanual.com/PWC/LSU4.htm

And the issue is not a non-fire event but rather an on-going combustion event, i.e. , what happens when you measure gases that are still combusting. There's also the question of whether or not this is the case in the setup under test.

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thanks Jean, I was looking for something to explain how the wideband works. It does not measure Oxygen, just uses it to determine the pre-combustion AFR.

In fact, at anything richer than Stoich, there should be no Oxygen in the exhaust gases. Seeing as few of us would benefit from running lean, then we are principally only interested in the rich, oxygen free, condition.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 22nd Sep, 2015 Paul S said:
In fact, at anything richer than Stoich, there should be no Oxygen in the exhaust gases.

Not necissarily,
Given that,

Vizard says A series like to run on large droplets of fuel rather than a perfectly atomised mixture,

Fuel injectors don't atomise, because they are designed to dump fuel behind a closed inlet valve when running at their normal 80% duty cycle,

We run very low duty cycles to try to hit open valves so the droplets will be even bigger,

All that suggests to me that even in lean conditions there could still be un-burnt fuel hitting the LSU(s), especially the ones near the exhaust ports.

So back to your original theory.

Anyway, back from beer festival so should be able to test a bit more this afternoon (weather permitting).

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Interesting idea (I purposely used the word "should")

However, in the case of a lean condition and unburnt fuel, I would expect the wideband to read lean.

The upstream Nernst cell will firstly sense the oxygen as a result of the lean condition and will then use the "pump" to determine how lean and ignore the unburnt fuel, will it not?

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 22nd Sep, 2015 Paul S said:
Interesting idea (I purposely used the word "should")

However, in the case of a lean condition and unburnt fuel, I would expect the wideband to read lean.

The upstream Nernst cell will firstly sense the oxygen as a result of the lean condition and will then use the "pump" to determine how lean and ignore the unburnt fuel, will it not?

I really don't know, it's not my subject of expertise, but I would think there is a lot of difference between the traditional "rich misfire reads lean" - which I believe we all understand and accept - and a complete combustion of a lean mixture (ie, excess oxygen which should be seen at the LSU) but with an added bit of unburnt fuel because the droplets were too large and the LSUs are too close to allow the remaining bit of fuel to burn in the exhaust stream despite the excess oxygen.

As we have said before, testing is the only sensible thing to do to provide real data. At the moment I have data that is confusing.

Graham T

604 Posts
Member #: 1106
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

I do not know whether this helps but some datalogging.
It is not a finished by any means, but here is a graph from the datalog from my 16PSI rolling road run.

Correlation between sample chamber and common LSU has always been a bit "random".
When I say that, I mean the common reading has never been all richer or all leaner than the sample chamber readings.

The Dyno I was at does not have any way of logging AFR, but the operator told me he was seeing around 1 AFR leaner readings on his LM-1 with 4.2LSU stuffed in the tail pipe, than I was getting on my Common LSU.
I have 4.9LSU's in the Sample chambers and 4.2LSu in the main exhaust (next to the gear stick).

’77 Clubman build thread
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=618189

Siamese 5 port EFI testing
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=611675

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thanks for sharing that with us Graham.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

It may be that what I've seen over the last week or so is because the engine wasn't under any load.

The dynamics of combustion will be very different on a dyno (where it really counts).

My real surprise, hence why I started this thread, was the apparent difference with 4.2 and 4.9 LSUs.

Having Jean's new stuff to test was what caused me to try the 4.9s

As soon as I can modify my own 14point7 setup to take the 4.9s (relatively easy, I have the parts, just not the time, usual life story) I may be able to add some more info.

Graham T

604 Posts
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

Once it stops raining (so probably next May at this rate), I'll take a run out and check that I have got my boost back, then take a log with the 4.9LSU's on the road, where Air temp at the air filter will be down below 30degC, rather than the ~50degC on the rollers. (hence AFR distribution will be different)

Then I can swap the LC-2/ 4.9 LSU combination for the LC-1/ 4.2 LSU combination in the sample chambers and take another log so that there is a comparison.

’77 Clubman build thread

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Well, after a couple of week's life getting in the way, I finally got on with trying this out.

Since last time Jean has added EGT and RPM as options.

I also re-configured my test display to be added to the data chain (mine is the crappy one on the left).

So that's EGTs, AFRs and LSU temperatures left to right and RPM on each of the bottom displays (the blank one third down on the left is deliberate).

This was, again, just at idle, the EGTs deviate a lot once the RPMs rise (as Paul and I have seen before).

LSU running temperatures are well within limits (the first two are the newer 4.9s so should be 780C, the third an old 4.2, 750C, both +/- 25 according to Bosch but actually +/- 2 with the 14point7 controllers) and everything else reads as expected.

Data refresh rate is very fast, and a lot more stable than the trial version I've been using the last year.

A bit more to test/try yet but, all things considered it looks very good.

Then it will be off to Graham T to do some serious testing (mine's not road legal at the moment but his is).

More later.

Graham T

604 Posts
Post Whore

Hungerford, Berks

Nice work Rod and Jean.

Just to confirm, Your EGT monitoring is at the manifold, not at the sample chambers?

’77 Clubman build thread

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

so rod is that saying 12.8 13.2 and 14 .9 from the pre turbo 2 take offs and the post turbo take off ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 11th Oct, 2015 Graham T said:
Nice work Rod and Jean.

Just to confirm, Your EGT monitoring is at the manifold, not at the sample chambers?

Your turn next.
Yes, original EGT thermocouples in the manifold back from the days when we were experimenting to see if AFRs could be implied by by EGTs (like they sometimes do on V8s). They can't on a centre siamese exhaust, although the photo above makes it look like there is a correlation, that was just at idle, once RPM/load rises the EGTs deviate a lot (and get a lot hotter than in that photo) but the AFRs (pre-turbo) don't.
I haven't installed the thermocouples in the sample chambers yet but the LSU temperatures imply all is well.

On 11th Oct, 2015 robert said:
so rod is that saying 12.8 13.2 and 14 .9 from the pre turbo 2 take offs and the post turbo take off ?

Robert, yes.
I've allways had the post turbo one read higher than the average of the other two (lots of debate in the past as to possible causes).
The interesting thing at the moment is, since changing the two LSUs before the turbo to 4.9s, the difference seems greater.
I'm waiting to do a direct comparison, literally waiting - for a new controller board to come from Alan in Canada - as I killed one of mine last week by wiring up a cable wrongly (in too much of a hurry) and my spare is currently making up the numbers in Jean's box.

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Dual wideband and other stuff
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: