Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Projects > Old fart going mad again

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

The A35 van, after three years of slaving over it, had t and have almost finished the rebuild had to be be converted back to NA and standard steering to sell it and it went back in March.

I still have the Magnette, now with discs brakes, performance manifolds and exhaust and have almost finished the rebuild on a slightly tweaked MGB 1840cc engine to be fitted shortly.

However, the oldest member of TM (allegedly) has now had another brainstorm and bought an MX5 for trackdays.

Presently in the workshop having all new brakes and a set of suitably sticky tyres being fitted.

If you see me out there maybe give me some room eh ?

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Well I have to say I was really hoping for the two words "Magnette" and "turbocharger" but "MX5" and "track days" will certainly do! I like MX5's they are good to drive, and that later one being an 1800 has enough puff as well. I have to say I think I'd want a roll at of some kind though to seriously do trackdays in one.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

That should say roll bar.

Like fuel 😂😂

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Rollbar, full harness (FIA approved) and racing suit arriving next week.

My US friend is very insistent that I should accept one of his Judson superchargers but I don,t think I want to go down that route (yet )

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

These are pretty easy to turbo and that gives very decent results.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Get thee behind me, Satan !!

I think 146bhp is quite enough to get me into trouble.

The A35 was fun on track but is basically unstable so I thought I would try something more up to date with pretty much the same power.

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

Definitely turbo worthy, mighty car mods turboed one and it looked laughably easy to do.

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

I got a 5, great fun!

I'm using ns2-R on it at the moment and they're really good on track.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I decided to use the control tyre from the MXcup series.

Really surprised me that they use a tyre like the Federal 595RSR

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

Always liked to throw our 1.8iS about. Was good fun but not fast enough to get you in real trouble. Its the one car the eife eould have bavk in a heartbeat

1293 sprite

536 Posts
Member #: 5449
Post Whore

Melton Mowbray

Which tracks are you thinking of doing? May well see you about next year. We started out in an mx5, sold it after a season and bought a full on track e36 :). Did love the 5 though, great feel and very predictable

On 25th Sep, 2009 mini13 said:
cool, i'll pop over with my tool and some lube, lol

1293 88.8hp 82.2ftlb

17.3 1/4 @ 78 mph

Naturally Aspirated (for now)

steve1275

849 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Nice one David, friend had one with a turbo and it was FUN. One or two of us might challenge you on the oldest member....

'Where does the engine go?'

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Favourite tracks are Oulton and Cadwell, in that order,bu Donington and Mallory are in easy reach too.

If I can get it sorted in time I will probably try Abingdon and/or Bedford as they are so close to me,just for a look see.

Steve, challenge?, maybe, but this discussion took place some time ago. My birthdate is public knowledge on this site.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

Cannot comment on Abingdon, but Bedford is excellent, much MUCh better than I was expecting it to be.

Like fuel 😂😂

AlexB
Site Admin

6263 Posts
Member #: 1
The boring bloke who runs this place.

Berkshire

I love MX5s. I get told off for it a lot.

Enjoy :)

Oh, and Abingdon is a pretty good little track for an airfield. Not as good as a track (obviously) but it's normally a cheap day out.

Edited by AlexB on 30th Sep, 2015.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Good to have the feedback for Abingdon and Bedford - thank you gentlemen.

madonminis

644 Posts
Member #: 9371
Post Whore

East Yorkshire

Nice looking toy, can't believe you sold the van though.

BHP sells engines, but Torque wins races!

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

TBH I found I did not like driving it with it,s restricted rear vision.(I have to reverse quite a way down my drive to the workshop)

I also had a problem keeping three cars which needed to be under cover - the MX5 can live outside,with the hardtop.

1293 sprite

536 Posts
Member #: 5449
Post Whore

Melton Mowbray

On 30th Sep, 2015 tadge44 said:
Favourite tracks are Oulton and Cadwell, in that order,bu Donington and Mallory are in easy reach too.

If I can get it sorted in time I will probably try Abingdon and/or Bedford as they are so close to me,just for a look see.

Steve, challenge?, maybe, but this discussion took place some time ago. My birthdate is public knowledge on this site.

My parents have just bought a house between Blyton park and cadwell, so that's where we'll be mainly, but we loved Bedford too, a little long if anything. Snetterton is one of our favourites too

On 25th Sep, 2009 mini13 said:
cool, i'll pop over with my tool and some lube, lol

1293 88.8hp 82.2ftlb

17.3 1/4 @ 78 mph

Naturally Aspirated (for now)

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

I too have to admit fondness for the mx5's... i walked past my local garage and there was a track ready one outside.. new tyres, brakes, roll cage, bucket seats, firmer suspension, full stainless exhaust... apparently a old boy raced it at snetterton but died so the widower got garage to come collect it.. id seen it just as it arrived so waved 500 in his face n he shoved full mot on it n i drove away... GREAT fun!!! I got a load of stick for it tho!!!! And i struggled to sell it, but prices have gone up since then... looking forward to what you do with it!

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

I'm selling mine if anyone's interested in one, shameless plug I know!

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

SO .....

Decided that Abingdon and Bedford were likely to be a bit soul less so went to Cadwell today.

Surprisingly, track almost dry first thing, only a few drops during the day and the strong wind dried it out completely.

I had the benefit of my friend the racer with the V8 Sierra as a coach, even although our combined weight is well over 200 kg. Poor Mazda.

However, with his encouragement I got a good deal faster than I had ever imagined and was using all the kerbs and the tyres were phenomenal, never letting go (probably not going fast enough) and very pickled up with large sections of melted rubber swapping places on the tread - you know what I mean.

Even managed some overtakes !!

By the end of the day I had moved from a tense and tentative driver to a relaxed and smoother driver, with the benefit of much faster progress, of course.

Car is bog standard, with all new discs and pads and a set of Federal RS tyres, the control tyre for the MX5 race series.

Just shows how much fun can be had with a very ordinary car.

Got the bug now !!

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

Give Bedford a try, you will like it. Cadwell is my favourite too though.

Like fuel 😂😂

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

After my spin at Goodwood, on a separate thread, I went to Snetterton on 8th March.

Ice all over the paddock, and track obviously a bit tricky at first,so I celebrated (!) by spinning again - on the sighting lap !
Ultimate shame. No excuses, just too much throttle at the wrong time.

I had offered the passenger seat to several people, all of whom took up the offer (must be strange people up in NorfolK) and spun again, this time with a passenger.

Checked the car over in case it was something other than just me but no it was just stupidity.

Track dried out and we got cracking properly and I began to learn the circuit as this is my first time at Snetterton since about 1964 -in an A35. No more spins and got the car moving about quite a bit, Discovered that it understeers very strongly on slowish sharp corners - could never make the apex at Agostinis.

About an hour before the lunch break some kind person laid oil almost the full length of the track, with about 45 minutes of down time.

After lunch the track was all dry and we had three red flags in ten minutes which delayed my ride as passenger in the V8 Sierra. was worth the wait though as we never got overtaken and were overtaking others 3,4 and 5 at a time. Makes the corners come up incredibly quickly.

Ended the day with about 6 laps with the Sierra owner, a very experienced racer ,in my passenger seat and who gave me more very valuable pointers and I achieved some pretty reasonable laps with no drama - even used some kerbs.

Next outing wil be back at Snetterton on 9th April, but only as pit support for the Sierra as it is a race meeting not a trackday.

I expect to be spinning at Oulton Park on 26 April next !

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Keep up the 'madness'. It sounds like a lot of fun.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Home > Non-Mini Projects > Old fart going mad again
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: