Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > New to EFI conversion

Barrieri

307 Posts
Member #: 11231

Hi guys, I have a stock 5-port classic Mini 1275cc engine running an original Lucas Distributor and an HIS38 carb. I am now thinking on converting it completely to EFI using a Megasquirt III. I'm new to the EFI idea and I'm currently doing a thesis on Engine Management, hence learning along.

I've been discouraged a lot to do an EFI conversion to a 5-port A series because of the problem of the Siamese Ports.

What do you guys suggest ? I'm not looking at power at this moment. All I'm after is a proper startup, and smooth drive so that I can learn the basics of EFI conversions and mapping.

Best Regards and thanks in advance

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

The MS3 and the 5 port are made for each other. The siamese port issues are easily dealt with. Have a read of this:

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=541366

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Barrieri

307 Posts

Hi Paul, first of all thank you for the thread you linked. I read it and I understood some of it. Well I hear you're one of the best guys in these EFI conversions *wink*

So I have some questions that I need to ask:

1. Up until now I have only considered a single point injection like the kit SC components have. What are the advantages of doing a setup like yours with a mini mpi manifold with two injectors, one per inlet port... Assuming a naturally aspirated engine.
2. Secondly, how would you orientate the ECU ? Sequentially inject the injector when each oiston is in its untake stroke ?
3. What size of injectors ?
4. What size of throttle body ?
5. And how do you tune the engine without a dyno ? Some of my mates did conversions on other cars and what they did was to lift the car on stands and apply the brake with different pressures to reach different points of the map.

Regards

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

1. You can ensure that you are getting the correct amount of fuel going into each cylinder with a couple of widebands.
2. use a cam sensor.
3. std MPi injectors will do up on a standard 1275.
4. any 50mm tb will do.
5. drive the car on the road to set it up.

Have a read of this:

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=408438

Edited by Paul S on 15th Oct, 2015.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

I understand you need to drive the car on the road to do some of the setup even when you have been to the rollers.

It must be very hard to map the higher end of the map? After spending most of the day at the rollers with mine even on autotune it was stepped up the map virtically.

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On mine, the top end of the map is pretty flat. No wild changes in fuel required.

On road tuning is a two man job. One driving and the other making changes to the injection timing to equalise the AFRs whilst autotune does the business with the overall fueling.

A short drive to Stanford Hall in the 30 the other weekend with the laptop on my lap and we had made quite an improvement. You can't feel much of a difference with the way the car drives though *frown*

Barrieri

307 Posts

Has anyone tried doing an mpi manifold with 4 injectors (2 on each runner) squirting sequentially ? (For a Naturally aspirated engine). I think this would relax more the injectors and maybe the size of injectors can be reduced

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes:

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=571531

You cannot reduce the size of the injector because you still need to fill a cylinder on the intake stroke.

Barrieri

307 Posts

What size are the injectors ?

Barrieri

307 Posts

Its a really nice job I must say :)

Barrieri

307 Posts

I've just bought a megasquirt ms3x v3.0 today :) Now waiting for the fun to begin *wink*

Barrieri

307 Posts

By the way, what is the difference between ms3x v3.0 and v3.57 ? is it just the orientation of the board ? or does it have a functional difference as well ?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 17th Oct, 2015 Barrieri said:
What size are the injectors ?

Those on that one are 600cc/min. That would be enough for 150hp though. Running them two primary and the secondaries staged in on boost.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 17th Oct, 2015 Barrieri said:
By the way, what is the difference between ms3x v3.0 and v3.57 ? is it just the orientation of the board ? or does it have a functional difference as well ?

The v3.57 board is factory assembled, whereas the v3.0 board is for DIY assembly. Same functionality.

Barrieri

307 Posts

Guys I'm doing the conversion on a naturally aspirated 998cc with sequential-staged injection. Can I get the code from somewhere ? I will be running Ms3x

Edited by Barrieri on 17th Oct, 2015.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

In a few days you have gone from this:

On 14th Oct, 2015 Barrieri said:
All I'm after is a proper startup, and smooth drive so that I can learn the basics of EFI conversions and mapping.

To sequential & staged injection *frown*

It's quite a learning curve but you will need to start with a simple setup and develop it from there. Using the standard MPi manifold and injectors is the best starting point.

Besides, no need for staged on NA. You only need staged injection if you cannot get the range of flows from a single injector in each port. Because of the relatively short pulse width required at full throttle, idle pulse widths get very short, OK with NA and low boost but not at high boost.

I can provide a suitable .msq file when you need it, provided you share your build and experiences on here first.

Barrieri

307 Posts

Of course Paul, I will, but I'm lacking both knowledge and time. At the moment I'm carrying out my thesis and a I have very little time for this project. However I intend to buy all the stuff needed during the winter so that in summer I'll begin the conversion.

My problem mostly is that I cannot understand the main concepts of injection. What I have understood so far is that I need both a crank and cam sensor for sequential injection. Now the cam turns 1 rev every stroke (ie. 4 revs per engine cycle). Thus if use only two injectors (one injector per runner), each injector has to squirt two times consecutively due to the siamese problem.

Am I getting this right ?

Edited by Barrieri on 18th Oct, 2015.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 18th Oct, 2015 Barrieri said:
Now the cam turns 1 rev every stroke (ie. 4 revs per engine cycle).

No, the cam turns once per engine cycle or two revs.

On 18th Oct, 2015 Barrieri said:
Thus if use only two injectors (one injector per runner), each injector has to squirt two times consecutively due to the siamese problem.

Am I getting this right ?

That's correct though.

Instead of two consecutive short pulses in each port, you can use a single pulse for both cylinders. In fact, that is how I have done mine in the past with great results.

Barrieri

307 Posts

Hmm, you're right about the cam, I got confused. So like you're saying in the quote below. Then each injector has to squirt 1 long pulse per crank shaft rotation right ?

On 18th Oct, 2015 Paul S said:

Instead of two consecutive short pulses in each port, you can use a single pulse for both cylinders. In fact, that is how I have done mine in the past with great results.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

1 long pulse per cycle, 2 revs.

Barrieri

307 Posts

Exactly, injector 1 injects one long pulse during the first rev of the crankshaft and then injector 2 injects 1 long pulse during the second rev.

Barrieri

307 Posts

And this can be done with MS3X combined with 600cc/min injectors, right ?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes and Yes

Barrieri

307 Posts

Thanks Paul *wink*. I will start buying all the staff and let you know when they arrive.

Barrieri

307 Posts

By the way, this is my Mini in its current state *wink*

Attachments:

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > New to EFI conversion
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: