Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > fuel filters

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

I have a fuel filter like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-0450905021...=item58a83f1260

I'm planning to put this before the pump rather than after is it should be. Is this a good idea? can anyone see any problems with this?

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

That is a bit fine for pre-pump use.

We use the Merlin/Sytec bullet filter with a 55 micron element before the pump.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

I use these. Flow rate doesn't change between the 30 and the 100 micron. So I went for 30 pre and 30 at the carb.

Not sure if that's right thing to do but made sense to me.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-6-AN6-Black-Ano...6.c100408.m2460

Edited by jonny f on 20th Oct, 2015.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I ran out of fuel flow on those Torques filters on a 205 turbo (injected, 3bar fuel pressure) at about 190 horse, so just be careful.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Interesting, it get blocked up?

I've used one with 100hp on a mechanical pump.

theoneeyedlizard

7260 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Interesting Tom. Was that with it after the pump?

I've got one on mine and have had a few fuelling issues since.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

It didn't block, it just restricted flow. The car was plumbed in an6 fittings so we were able to easily plumb in a pressure sensor and the log fuel pressure alongside everything else. Pressure kept dropping off at higher revs but not consistantly. I thought the pump was suspect so we pulled it off the rollers. However as soon as John Sleath saw the fuel filter he said "I bet that's it". Drove car home, it was leaning out and misbehaving. Changed filter and tried it, it didn't lean out then. Changed the pump more as a precaution really.
I reckon they are good for up to about 130-140bhp. The filter area just isn't big enough.

Like fuel 😂😂

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

To add, yes Gary after pump before fuel rail. 205 is in tank pump with a strainer built into the pump cartridge inside the tank.

Like fuel 😂😂

theoneeyedlizard

7260 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Same as mine now then.

I'll give it a go without. Cheers.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Dont forget, it's a hell of a lot easier to pump through the filter as the pump is designed to pump, than for gravity to feed fuel to the pump.

EFI pumps do not suck well, and do not like any restriction at all prior to the pump.

That would make me wary of putting any small filter or filter with small fittings prior to the pump.

And after recent experiences with the Torques 30 micron filters.....I honestly dont believe they filter for shit.

For a pre-filter, I'd be looking towards Earls/Holley filters or Aeromotive etc.

And not the shitty little Earls one designed for a dead end carb application as opposed to a full flow/return that you will be using with a turbo mini.

The Bosch one would be ideal after the pump though.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Bugger haha. I better buy something else.

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

Thanks for the advice guys. maybe I should just rely on the inbuilt filter in my facet lift pump as a pre filter

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

what about two filter in parallel twice the filter area ?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Just to be clear, are we talking about these filters:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/sytec-...ils-inj-filt-f1

or these:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/sytec-...filter-ff-inl-5

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I bow to superior knowledge on flow rates etc and the restriction they might pose to high power but I use one of those Bosch filters before the pump. I feel it is a good idea to protect the pump.
The only thing I notice is that if I do run out of fuel I need to bleed fuel through to the pump as it won,t prime, even although both pump and filter are below the fuel level. I only have around 140bhp so the possible restrictions won,t bother me.

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 21st Oct, 2015 Paul S said:
Just to be clear, are we talking about these filters:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/sytec-...ils-inj-filt-f1

or these:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/sytec-...filter-ff-inl-5

I wouldnt use either of them pre-pump.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

How about this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEROMOTIVE-AN-6-...FcAAOxy2d9SZRfX

Only £150......

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Whats wrong with the throw away cans?

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I'd personally use a strainer on the tank pickup and a freely available disposable filter from your choice of mass produced vehicle, fitted after the pump.

The strainer protects the pump from debris, and the filter protects the pressure regulator and injectors.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

Sprock, that's what I used on the car above. A throwaway canister filter with s couple of male/male adaptor a from 14x1.5 to AN-6.

Like fuel 😂😂

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 21st Oct, 2015 Paul S said:
How about this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEROMOTIVE-AN-6-...FcAAOxy2d9SZRfX

Only £150......

I used one of those in front of my 044's for a few years with no problems, with just the 100 micron only. The same filter is now on a friends car and been racing it for 2 years with no issues.

About 3 years ago I changed to a pair of the 40 micron Holley filters, one before each pump.

ie this type, cheaper too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331519827297?_tr...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

With both I've never had any injector problems or filtration issues.

On the other hand, another friend has a pair of these claiming to be 30 micron each....so should be quite fine on their own. Filter is huge, as is the stainless mesh element inside.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-JIC-12-ORB-12...=item27c9be42e2

So far it has now clogged up about 4 sets of injectors. IMO there is no way in hell they're filtering anything near 30 microns..and I'd struggle to believe they'll even do 100 micron.

Given the large flow of the Holley/Aeromotive types I'd think even a 10 micron in front of the pump would pose no issues at all.

And certainly about 17 years ago when I first fitted an Aeromotive pump/filter to my car I did use the paper 10 micron filter pre-pump, and did for a few years before I realise people said not to do this. It never presented any problems for me though.

If you want to buy UK Earls sell the Holley stuff although given their vast range they might need to order your specific needs in.

Edited by stevieturbo on 21st Oct, 2015.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Miniwilliams

5329 Posts
Member #: 140
Proven 200+bhp & Avon Park 05,06,07 Class D 3rd place

Jim, you could just use 2 paper cheap as chips filters the ones you get on the metro and other old cars. Just like I use.

Best 1/4 mile 13.2 seconds @116 mph
First 5 port miniturbo to make over 200 bhp on a carb?
First 5 port miniturbo to make over 200 bhp on Injection?

http://www.mattwoodsphotography.com

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

On 21st Oct, 2015 Sprocket said:
I'd personally use a strainer on the tank pickup and a freely available disposable filter from your choice of mass produced vehicle, fitted after the pump.

The strainer protects the pump from debris, and the filter protects the pressure regulator and injectors.

↑ Exactly this↑

A pump can create several bar of positive pressure at its output, but can never suck more than 1 bar, after which, cavitation occurs. Replace the strainer with a finer (more restrictive) filter and you're asking for trouble (also, the post-pump filter is now redundant). It may function, but it's just not designed to work like that.

I measured the flow rate of my fuel system...

Standard unbranded filter (15k miles),
7mm fuel lines,
SPI pump after (95k miles),
1 Bar regulator.

Flow rate is 1700cc/min... That's good for 250bhp. If most road cars can clock up countless miles with average filters, irregular servicing and unknown fuel quality, it doesn't matter whether you can buy a finer filter - it's not needed.

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 6th Feb, 2016 PhilR said:
On 21st Oct, 2015 Sprocket said:

↑ Exactly this↑

A pump can create several bar of positive pressure at its output, but can never suck more than 1 bar, after which, cavitation occurs. Replace the strainer with a finer (more restrictive) filter and you're asking for trouble (also, the post-pump filter is now redundant). It may function, but it's just not designed to work like that.

I measured the flow rate of my fuel system...

Standard unbranded filter (15k miles),
7mm fuel lines,
SPI pump after (95k miles),
1 Bar regulator.

Flow rate is 1700cc/min... That's good for 250bhp. If most road cars can clock up countless miles with average filters, irregular servicing and unknown fuel quality, it doesn't matter whether you can buy a finer filter - it's not needed.

OEM filters will usually filter down to a very low level, 10 microns or so anyway so do tend to be very good quality. And as you say almost any OEM filter these days will cope with 200hp or more without any concerns at all. Subaru external filters are tiny, 8mm push on barbs and will easily handle 4-500hp. And aftermarket ones are cheap.

But some injectors are definitely more fussy than others with regards filtration...of course as my previous comments about some aftermarket filters...there is no way some of them filter to the level they claim either.
OEM will nearly always be good and often better than aftermarket in that respect

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Think I've got oem filter off a focus, I think turbo Dave mentioned it was what he used so just went with the same or similar.

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > fuel filters
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: