Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Turbo Pistons - Whats current Options? and MG Metro Turbo Challenge Pistons

skolawn

270 Posts
Member #: 69

Coventry

Hi

The ERA blocked its auxiliary Radiator feed pipe which has the electric fan switch in, no flow no switch hot ERA, ERA then booted temp gauge didnt get hot but number 4 did and popped head gasket and put a dozen micro detonation holes on the edge of piston. Melted the tip of number 4 plug too.

Stuck a new gasket on it as next day was Stanford hall and its been driven gently since. Doesn't smoke at all cold or hot, doesnt get hot all good. But you know if I boot it hard number 4 will melt like a candle.

I have got hold of a standard turbo piston from a good low mileage engine, but need rings or I can go new pistons but last time I checked standard size was unobtanium, or I can go overbore.

I have been offered a set of MG Metro Turbo Challenge Pistons in +30 on peened rods never used, but not sure I want to go +30 and never even heard of +30 has anyone else? is it a bad move if they do exist will I end up with an odd size and then cant go 40 in future....?? Thoughts would be appreciated.

Paul

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

If the bore is still okay, I'd be tempted to swap the old rings over to the good piston and fit it, it should be like simply removing and refitting the piston, as long as the rings fit, then the rings and bore remain matched up. Should prolong its life until you do need to overbore.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

If your bores are good, get some totalseal rings and rebuild it to standard spec with your new piston.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

I'd agree with Andy

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

As said on here before, those Metro turbo pistons will stand a lot of abuse,so just make sure ignition and fuelling are right and you will be good to go - fast !!

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Yep, well in excess of 25psi of boost on an engine built by a pair of monkeys and setup by said apes and the standard turbo pistons were clean as a whistle upon inspection.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Alex

690 Posts
Member #: 1851
Post Whore

Woolavington, Zummerzet

+.030" used to be a standard overbore size - gave 1302cc from memory.

Metric is for people who can't do fractions.

skolawn

270 Posts
Member #: 69

Coventry

I recall plus 30 from years ago, but last 10 or more years generally 20 40 60 on bores. I would be concerned going 30 as if in future it needs rebore then it wouldnt go to 40...

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Turbo Pistons - Whats current Options? and MG Metro Turbo Challenge Pistons
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: