Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Go pros some help needed

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

I need a little bit of help, when reading this just think I am a bloke that only got a smart phone a year and a bit ago, and only uses it to call, text and look at face book! As I can't tell you what most things do on it! I have never had a playbox or an X Wii and I have a mac book still in the box as I give up on it,

Ok then this is something I have looked at getting for soooooo long! But I am a bit of a tec biff as you can see and think they are a bit of a mine field.. As I could use it a lot in my line of work with the weird stuff I get up to!

The one I have been looking at the new one hero session, I am wanting one that I can use the app on your phone and can also use the remote.

Also do I need to be some sort of edit legend, as I am not really up to speed with this sort of thing *oh well*

Any help and advice on these would be sweet *smiley*

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GoPro-HERO-4...OMAAOSwsFpWS2AE

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

I have one of the fairly new ones but doesn't have the app or remote compatability.

They are great, the worst bits sorting out what your doing with the videos after you've taken them. They take up so much space.

They do there own software to edit the videos on which makes it a bit easier and its free. A fast PC definately helps as the files get pretty big. Along with an external hard drive to store them. Also make sure you get decent SD cards as cheap ones can't write fast enough for the quality.

Shauna

1043 Posts
Member #: 10424
Post Whore

Swansea boyo!

About time! I control my hero3 from the app but it does drain the battery pretty quickly from the wifi. The app is really easy to use though and you can change all of the settings on there rather than scrolling through the camera by two buttons which is a bit awkward. Make sure you get a high speed SD card for it too!

Edited by Shauna on 25th Nov, 2015.

They don't die, they just get faster!

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

How larger are the files? Mb per min?
My current one is not even great quality claims 720p and is about 1gb per 20 min video

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

t@z

2054 Posts
Member #: 452
Post Whore

Chester, UK

i wouldnt get the session. picture quality is not that great. you are paying for the small form factor. get a hero4 silver, better mula spent.

happy customer

www.twitter.com/lilpinkiy

mini93

834 Posts
Member #: 2017
Post Whore

Warwick.

I wouldnt get the £100 one (or what ever it costs)

although neat and a nice entry camera, it doesnt have the facility to change the battery, which isnt much use when they do drain quickly.
I think the session has the same issue.
Plus is the break the case or scratch the lens your buggered as you cant swap them out the case.

I have one of the Hero 3 Blacks when it first came out, got 3 spare batteries with higher amp-hours than the go-pro made ones off ebay. Also with a wall charger.

Make sure you get a decent sized memory card (again the lower spec go-pros actually limit you to 32gb where you can get higher than that) I'd recomend a class10 Sandisk one ither 32gb or 64... more if you arent tight!

As for filming, really for most applications filming at 720p is enough for most laptops, reasonable sized TV's. This will allow you to shoot with better frames per second and not get that choppy effect with viewing fast shot stuff. and even the ability to slow the video down if you so want.
Issue I had with shooting in 1080p with higher FPS, 1. the available FPS drops the higher def' you choose... such as shooting in 4k is something like like 12FPS... much much good for anything but time lapse i'd imagin.
2. When shooting higher quality with higher FPS the file size is massive, drains the battery, drains the memory card slot.
3. My laptop is reasonable spec, but not too swish... Trying to play a video back on the laptop through the memory card resulted in being able to hear the Audio but only seeing a black screen. You can work around this by pulling the files off the card to your desk top so you havent got the throttle of the USB or card drive, but its not a smooth play. I can't image how long it would take to render a video if you had anything useable.

I try to only use the WIFI when setting up any shots, such as mounting the camera to a rollcage mount, ensuring it actually points out the window. Tighten the thumb screws with a philips screwdriver rather than by hand! you'll get better clambing force and then when you turn off the WIFI on the side of the unit, you havent accidently adjusted its position.

So basicly I'd advise not bothering really to get the newer units. Get something like a Hero3+ Black (or possibly silver) edition. They will be cheaper and you aren't likely to use the top end features the newer units provide, such as higher quality and higher FPS at each given quality.

David.

jamiestevenbell

336 Posts
Member #: 9941

Derby

I personally think it's down to how much your planning on using the camera it self, I have a sj4000 and think it's brilliant the picture quality is great I've done some really good scuba diving videos with it and used it in my car with good results! The price difference massive between the sj4000 and the go pro, I wouldn't think twice about buying another! They can be controlled remotely from you phone too and have a Lcd screen to watch videos back

Smackfiend

33 Posts
Member #: 9867

Completely agree with jamie - it depends how much you're going to use it.

Don't be put off with the cheaper versions of the GoPro. I bought a sj4000 for under £60 earlier in the year and it's spot on.

It came with 2 batteries and you can link it to your phone. They're that good they even make fake ones if them.

Compare with a GoPro:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e7gtYOIj_uY

I bought mine from here as I believe it's not fake:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-SJCAM-SJ...EQAAOSwvt1WRq0K

Hope this helps,
Ian

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

+2 on the sj4000

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

The SJCam's on ebay seem to be a very very good value alternative to a GoPro, and in some ways better specced.

Picture maybe not quite as good as GoPro, but still very good.

But I'd nearly hold off, and consider some of these new 360 cams !!
Some arent even that expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdZ02-Qenso

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

jamiestevenbell

336 Posts

Derby

Have you seen what the 360 degree cams are? You buy a holder and fancy software for 1500 quid then have to buy 10 gopro cameras!! Well out of the average persons budget

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 25th Nov, 2015 jamiestevenbell said:
Have you seen what the 360 degree cams are? You buy a holder and fancy software for 1500 quid then have to buy 10 gopro cameras!! Well out of the average persons budget

Not as fancy as some but still gives all round view options

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-camc...071673-pdt.html

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

jamiestevenbell

336 Posts

Derby

I personally don't call that a true 360 degree camera like the one in above video

monsterob

264 Posts
Member #: 11029

Crewe

i bought a £26 waterproof one off wish with all the mounts took a while to come but its pretty damn good takes whatever size sd card you put in it and it has an lcd scree

https://www.wish.com/search/hd%20sports%20cam#defaultn built in .......

Outside the box

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 26th Nov, 2015 jamiestevenbell said:
I personally don't call that a true 360 degree camera like the one in above video

It does seem to cover all angles in a single video though ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

jamiestevenbell

336 Posts

Derby

Does it though as the plane video is done using gopros

Home > General Chat > Go pros some help needed
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: