Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > 16v k1100 Build from NI

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Very very nice.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

jayme

84 Posts
Member #: 10547
Advanced Member

Northern Ireland

Interior wise it will be pretty minimal, fitted a KAD internal linkage that I stripped and sprayed satin black. Steering column will mount to the cage via an owens bearing, currently working on a second support and the rest of the column.

With the pedal box being inside I plan to hide the reservoirs behind the dash. In terms of servicing them I made some small brackets which hold the dash to the front cage legs, with the help of a electric screw driver it comes out in a few minutes. As a precaution I plan on fitting fluid level sensors and wiring them to some warning lights.

For the dash I bought a shell from Mini Sport before trimming it in some black suede, the dash will be a digital dash in the form of a dash 2 or Aim unit which I plan to fit to the steering column lugs.

The seat is mounted as low and far back on some custom brackets as I can get them, mainly due to the fact im 6ft 3 and I like to look over the dash as opposed to down on it.

Edited by jayme on 3rd Sep, 2018.

Instagram: bighill93

jayme

84 Posts
Advanced Member

Northern Ireland

With my shell being at my mates workshop for paint I decided to dig all the parts I had out of the boxes ive been stashing for the engine and gear box, currently the engine parts are with SC so this gave me time to build the box in advance.

Firstly I had all casings vapour blasted before giving them a coat of some paint o keep them fresh looking.

Then everything was set out for a final inspection

and a few hours later I had got as far as this

Ran into some issues with diff bearings, first went on as id have expected, second felt a bit tight. When I got it on it had a notch almost as if there was flat spot. Have a new one coming so will see how that goes.

Hopefully over the next few weeks I will be close to having my shell back to tie up a few loose ends before I have the engine finished.

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

looks good, engine bay looks tidy to. Is it going to be hidding wiring etc to?

jayme

84 Posts
Advanced Member

Northern Ireland

Yes, the plan will be to keep all as hidden as I can without loosing functionality. How though will be determined once I get a start.

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Nice project & welcome back.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

jayme

84 Posts
Advanced Member

Northern Ireland

Got a few photos sent through on Friday night of the shell in primer, hopefully have it home in few weeks.

Also hoping to have engine back with me over the next few weeks ready for assembly.

jayme

84 Posts
Advanced Member

Northern Ireland

Few photos from SC of the engine

Hope to have it back with me for Friday along with few other parts for the build, all being well I hope to have it all together by end of the month.

Cheers
Jayme

theoneeyedlizard

7260 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Coming along well

In the 13's at last!.. Just

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Looking good

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

jayme

84 Posts
Advanced Member

Northern Ireland

Not to much happening this month, Everything is out of my hands waiting on people and for parts.

Engine wise I've been collecting some of the smaller bits to finish the build, left to get is an oil pump and a centre main strap

Shell wise I have been waiting for a fella to do a mk1 conversion on the rear, This guy is a bit of a mini legend and metal work genius so I had to wait on him to have some free time

Left to do is remove the late badge, and weld up the final holes.

Also took the chance to have the rocker cover modified for some extra breathing, had a buddy weld some an fittings into the end, the cover will get powder coated and the fins polished. As a final detail I wanted a spark plug cover made to mount a plaque to thank my mate and his company for all the support, it will be mounted in the middle.

Hopefully have more progress soon

Thanks for looking
Jayme

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Looks very nice.

jayme

84 Posts
Advanced Member

Northern Ireland

Thanks Jonny

Turbo Tim

725 Posts
Member #: 177
Avon Park 2006 Class D Winner

Woburn Sands

Very nice

16V project underway

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

Lovely 👌🏻

jayme

84 Posts
Advanced Member

Northern Ireland

Havent hbeen able to do much at this over the last while, Car is with my mate getting painted.

Nipped around last week to final test fit the arches, with this done he can block it back and prime it again. hopefully be in paint in a few weeks

Got my rocker cover back from powder coating, all i need to do is polish up the fins on it.

Some of the final engine bits arrived

Just waiting on another set of mains bearings, last 2 sets have turned up new in box with marking. Anyone ive spoke to has said they have never saw it so I ended up ordering another set as im getting a bit fed up waiting. All being well we can bolt it together Monday.

Also opted for a billet fuel rail, I will run this with black fittings and line for a nice tidy stealth look

And lastly a wee side project I have been working on to add a finishing touch once its all done. Im going to have a friend 3d print this for me to mount on the boot as per the original austin cooper badge was.

Cheers for looking

Jayme

jayme

84 Posts
Advanced Member

Northern Ireland

Been a while since my last post, now have this finished waiting to drop in. Few things to finish off but im most of the way there

Cheers for looking

Jayme

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Looking swanky

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

burcy35

177 Posts
Member #: 10990
Advanced Member

Hornsea

Wow!
I would have that sat in the middle of my living room for a while before fitting it. Looks mint!
Well done fella.

Clubman s

6 Posts
Member #: 8476

Santiago, Chile

nice build! what radiator are you using?

1330 16V TURBO

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

very pretty

jayme

84 Posts
Advanced Member

Northern Ireland

Thanks fellas

I hope it goes as well as it looks anyway, have a few things left to make for it including a fill point/breather and a second mount for the alternator to suit the mpi block.

As for radiator, once I get the engine back in the shell for the final time with all the aux parts on I will confirm how much room ive got then most likely have one made to the max size. I did mock a fiat cinq on up before but its not going to fit well so it was binned after i tried to curve it to sit closer to the front grill.

Cheers
Jayme

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

I know I've got a different engine setup all together but I struggle with overheating using a decent side mount rad. If you can squeeze in a front mount at all it'll be worth it.

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

jayme

84 Posts
Advanced Member

Northern Ireland

Thankfully when I mocked the cinq rad up I cutout as much metal as possible out of the front panel. I also spaced my grill out on some machined threaded bosses to allow extra room. Plan is to get it all packaged nicely under the front slam and above the frame pushed as far forward to allow for a fan. I’m planning on plumbing all really neat with an inline filler to keep the engine bay as empty as I can.

jayme

84 Posts
Advanced Member

Northern Ireland

After a long wait my shell has now been painted, wanted to do something a little bit different so instead of a white, silver or black roof I opted to go with BMC Tweed grey hoping it would look a bit more retro

Personally im over the moon with the outcome, my mate made a brilliant job on it. Should hopefully have my doors and boot by the end of the month also.

On the engine side of things I had to have some parts of the belt drive side of things machined to solve the tracking issue, I also fitted up the alternator etc to check it.

Its not far of being ready to drop in now, few small blank plates to make to block of old sensors on the mpi block, Also need to get a small catch tank made to fit above the transfer case and plum the cam cover breathers to.

All being well I hope to have all fitted for the end of this month to be able to measure up for the front Rad and make a start on plumbing the fuel lines.

Thanks for looking
Jayme

Home > Show Us Yours! > 16v k1100 Build from NI
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: