Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Beginners Tech > Saab gt1752

benspickup

43 Posts
Member #: 9608

Lincolnshire

Hello all,,

I've tried using the search button to find out but have failed. I'm looking at using the above turbo on the mini and just wondered. Which model Saab they fit? Any advice will be greatly received!

Cheers. Ben

mossy2a

389 Posts
Member #: 9751

Derbyshire

typing saab gt1752 into google brings up all the models they were fitted into and all the links imaginable to buy one.

benspickup

43 Posts

Lincolnshire

Happy days. Top idea. I'm aiming to use one with a custom manifold to avoid bulkhead chopping.

Are all gt1752. Turbos suitable?
Thanks. Ben

fixitphil2

116 Posts
Member #: 10945
Advanced Member

scarborough/ northyorkshire

The ones from the 2.0 2.3 petrol model is the one you need, there's plenty about, I'm using a new Chinese one from eBay, not had any problems as yet.

benspickup

43 Posts

Lincolnshire

I did see those on ebay for around the 100 pound mark, brand new! What sort of boost are you running?

Maybe not as good as a garret but if it's got a warranty surely better than a unknown one from a braker?

Thanks for your thoughts

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

I bought a £100 Chinese one. Quality appears to be very good. It runs fine and although it's very early days yet, there are plenty of people using them with no problems. Just study the pictures first to make sure it's got the flanges that you need as I've seen a few Chinese ones listed wrongly.

While it's perfectly OK to buy a balanced core or bearing kit to rebuild a knackered Garrett you have to realise that you're likely buying Chinese parts from the same factory and putting them into a Garrett shell (if the previous owner hasn't already).

benspickup

43 Posts

Lincolnshire

I think it makes sence to go for the Chinese copy then unless you want to go for a brand new garret, I guess even they could source parts from China though!
Is it just that they are lighter weight compared to the older t3 etc that makes them perform better?

A friend of mine has a old h reg celica that's a turbo and it's really Laggy. I'm after something that's not to nasty to drive but still delivers

Thanks for your thoughts

Cheers Ben

benspickup

43 Posts

Lincolnshire

I think it makes sence to go for the Chinese copy then unless you want to go for a brand new garret, I guess even they could source parts from China though!
Is it just that they are lighter weight compared to the older t3 etc that makes them perform better?

A friend of mine has a old h reg celica that's a turbo and it's really Laggy. I'm after something that's not to nasty to drive but still delivers

Thanks for your thoughts

Cheers Ben

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

On 1st Jan, 2016 benspickup said:

It's partly that the internals are smaller and lighter, but it's mainly a much better impeller design and it being better suited flow wise to the size of the engine.

The Celica will be old school 'fit a big turbo to make power at the expense of a high boost thresold', things have moved on a lot with turbo technology.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

From reading an article about these Chinese copy turbos and working for a manufacturer of what is pretty much a huge centrifugal supercharger, the important difference might not be instantaneously obvious.

the thing most of us cannot easily determine is the unit's efficiency. The Real GT1752 is a fairly efficient unit to begin with. I'm not so sure that the Chinese ones will be as efficient, that is not to say they do not work, but rather, that they do it by producing more heat for less mass air flow.

The things to look for are how sloppy the bearings are to begin with. A sloppy bearing on a new unit will require a larger impeller to shroud clearance to prevent them touching, and it is this clearance that reduces the efficiency significantly. In fact, the bearings needn't be sloppy for the impeller clearance to be a bit baggier than it aught to be. A subtle difference not many people would consider.

At work we've rebuilt machines in the past that had less than desirable impeller spacing on tear down see a significant reduction in discharge superheat when rebuilt within tolerance.

As such I'm still not convinced these budget turbos would be better than a good used unit. I remain skeptical.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I agree 100%.

One GT1752 I rebuilt had some marks on the compressor housing from contact. When rebuilt it ran OK, but I kept having to bleed more and more to maintain boost as the blades got more and more clearance to the housing.

I,d rather have a good genuine Garrett than have to change the turbo because the Far Eastern version fell short of expectations.

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

I'm pretty cautious and sceptical too, so I took my Chinese one apart before using and measured against a Garrett. As good as i could measure, the housing clearances were identical and general machining appeared to be excellent.

Tadge44, surely that's all the more reason NOT to buy a used Garrett (it was also the reason I couldn't use the eBay Garrett I bought).

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

Edit: (Double post)

Edited by PhilR on 3rd Jan, 2016.

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium

Like anything there probably will be good chinese copys as there are bad ones. Do think with the original there will be the same types.

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

OK Phil, I did have to buy three Garrets before I got one I could use, but still feel happier with that than a Chinese one.

I also have some concern with Chinese ones about the materials used. I do know that some Chinese cast iron discs are well below material spec compared to OE.

If you use a Chinese one and it works for you - and for as long as you need it to - then that is fine.

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

I suppose you could get lucky or unlucky which ever route you chose.

Would be interesting to hear of any Chinese turbo failures if anyone on here has 1st hand experience

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 3rd Jan, 2016 PhilR said:
I suppose you could get lucky or unlucky which ever route you chose.

Would be interesting to hear of any Chinese turbo failures if anyone on here has 1st hand experience

I think in the main, no one on here uses them, except perhaps you *wink*

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Comparison of a GT1752 impeller sat on top of an impeller from one of compressors, which is half the diameter of its biggest sister.

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

On 3rd Jan, 2016 Sprocket said:

I'd imagine there are as many on running engines as there are shagged Garretts in peoples scrap bins! Speaking of running engines Sprocket, how's your build coming along *wink*

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 3rd Jan, 2016 PhilR said:

On 3rd Jan, 2016 Sprocket said:

I'd imagine there are as many on running engines as there are shagged Garretts in peoples scrap bins! Speaking of running engines Sprocket, how's your build coming along *wink*

be patient *wink*

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Post Whore

belgium

Don't want to start a new topic for a quick question so sorry to barch in here...

Is this one good like it is? Hardly no play doesn't touch the sides but did see the rotor has very slight scuffing.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Looks as if it has been grit blasted !

Probably because it was run without an airfilter

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

Been ran without a filter, and if your 100% certain those blades arnt touching the housing then yes itll be fine.

Chinese turbos are a mixed bag, i have had plenty i have been happy with, my 530d has a gt2260v i rebuilt with chi ese wheels and bearing kit and its fine. I rebuilt all the turbos i ran on my mini with chinese kit and they were fine too, however i got a turbo last month for a golf tdi and for some reason it didny seem right, stripped it down and it had a 180 degree thrust bearing!!! So salvaged the wheels and seals and built em into the old core(was for a mate who was skint rather than a customer) and thats been fine since but i bet as-was it wouldnt have lasted long.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Post Whore

belgium

How do you balance them or do you have the stuff at your work. 100%sure its not touching.. i wiggled and turned and looked with a monocul. Even placed sigaret paper between the blades and house while turning it.

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

Rammie, you need to pull it apart and look at wider part of the blades also. Last one I pulled apart, had the turbine all chewed up, but you couldn't tell from the outside.

Looking at the photo, have the blades rubbed on the top most section? It looks like there's a shadow but I can't see why, as its well lit.

Home > Beginners Tech > Saab gt1752
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: