Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Beginners Tech > fabricating a turbo manifold

benspickup

43 Posts
Member #: 9608

Lincolnshire

Hello all
I'm looking at fabricating my own manifold in stainless. I want to produce a similar version to the mirage one so I don't have to modify the bulkhead. However I'm somewhat confused. On my N.a mini engine, it's important to get the exhaust manifold pipes all similar or the same lengths. How does the mirage one get round this as the centre port has very little length to it at all compared to the outer ones

Hope someone can explain this to me!

Many thanks!

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

it dosent,

its compromised due to the packaging, but it still works,

to look at it another way, whats going to make more power, a 1 litre engine with a tuned exhaust, or a 2 litre with a cast log type production manifold,

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Turbo manifolds do not have to look pretty to be very functional.

It's nice if they are...but in no way needed.

Even a horrible looking manifold will still have the engine making tons of power

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

I know people on here are looking at longer, equal length runners and I don't doubt there're gains to be had; But until they're built, tested and proven, you won't go wrong copying the Mirage.

Edited by PhilR on 7th Jan, 2016.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

There are easy gains to be had with longer and equal length branches, but when you can easily over perform the engine as far as grip and handling is concerned, the log type manifolds are more than adequate.

The Turbo Minis tenth comandment is a load of bollox, its just bragging rights.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

I'd really hope a better manifold would give better off boost performance and boost sooner.

If the gains were just at peak bananas, then I can't see the point either.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Metro turbo manifold seems more than adequate for most folks with over 200bhp available - and with less time spent in the workshop it means you are on the road quicker and enjoying that great feeling as the boost comes up.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Also,

unless your doing this for the engineering exercise, Matty on here now does manifolds, and would be able to sort you out.

https://www.facebook.com/fusionfabs/

http://www.fusionfabs.co.uk/

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 8th Jan, 2016 PhilR said:
I'd really hope a better manifold would give better off boost performance and boost sooner.

Depends on your definition of better ?

Better for spool may not mean better for power

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 7th Jan, 2016 benspickup said:
On my N.a mini engine, it's important to get the exhaust manifold pipes all similar or the same lengths.

The theory would suggest that the same benefits of fitting an LCB on an NA engine can be attributed to a tuned length turbo manifold. I've seen enough evidence to convince me that this is a very cost effective aproach and will yield more performance gain per pound spent than almost any other mod, particularly if you have the tools and skills to make it yourself.

I don't agree with the approach that the metro turbo manifold or a log style manifold is good enough. That's the same as saying that a standard head is good enough. You can gain as much power from a tuned length manifold as a modified head.

Neither do I agree that the engine will make too much power. What utter bollox. You can just turn the boost down to a safe level and glow in the knowledge that you are running a higher VE than the other guys. No need to brag, the numbers will speak for themselves.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

PhilR

696 Posts
Post Whore

Birmingham

On 8th Jan, 2016 stevieturbo said:

On 8th Jan, 2016 PhilR said:

Depends on your definition of better ?

Better for spool may not mean better for power

Not everyone's goal is more power; I want a quick road mini that's still enjoyable on a morning commute. If that's Paul's findings, then yes, I would call that a better manifold.

Paul, any updates on the side-mount? Any data, a VE table?

Edited by PhilR on 8th Jan, 2016.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

No data, just an opinion.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Wintersurfers car makes much more power than mine (when running the same boost). The only major difference is the long exhaust manifold (a chopped about LCB). He even has less cc's than me.

Same cam, similar head, similar CR, same inlet, carb etc.

Edited by theoneeyedlizard on 8th Jan, 2016.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Even F1 cars have used log manifolds to good effect in the last few years.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The winners use tuned lengths.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

I fail to understand how people who recommend using a well modified cylinder head don't seem to see any benefit in a well designed exhaust manifold. It all works on the same principle and they are well proven.

The idea that more boost will compensate is not correct because you introduce more heat and more stress on the engine. And it will be less efficient.

Of course, it can be more complex and costly to use the better design but the argument here is that it's not important. And that is not true.

http://www.jbperf.com/

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Case in point of why no one posts on this forum anymore. Just my opinion.

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

On 8th Jan, 2016 Paul S said:
The winners use tuned lengths.

Ooooooof... what models engine bay does that beaute live in?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Callum

450 Posts
Member #: 10396
Advanced Member Formerly mk2turbo

Stoke-on-Trent

That's the v6 f1 engine I believe, so Hamiltons *happy*

wil_h

9258 Posts
Post Whore

Not in the first year they didn't

And they weren't the only ones. There was a very good reason to use the log manifold, but this year they changed if for other equally good reasons I'm sure. I could go and dig out the reasons a log manifold has advantages, but I can't be arsed.

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 8th Jan, 2016 Sprocket said:

Just to be clear, do you mean that my post would turn off people from posting here? If so, that says more about others than it does about me, but that's just my opinion.

http://www.jbperf.com/

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I could reply with a come back, but I can't be arsed

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

On 8th Jan, 2016 Sprocket said:

Really Col, it's just a bit of an interesting debate as far as I can see.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

wil_h

9258 Posts
Post Whore

By the way I'm not arguing against a fancy manifold. But cost and packaging etc may mean a simpler manifold is the best solution in many cases.

more power at less boost is great. But the same power for £500 less and slightly more boost is still a result!

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

wait a minute why argue about the type of manifold rather than the guy is wanting to keep the turbo behind the engine and not cut the fire wall
so its really a matter of first if he wants to make it or buy it and then if he makes it how fussy he wants to be id think they should be a way to add some length in the center runner if you wanted it bad enugh but honstly getting the center runner to the same length as the outters probaly whont make much diffrance the gains you get from the length is to do with pressure pulses caused buy the valves as wel allready know so to get the advantage we need substansaly longer runners than can be fit behind the block this is the reason you go for a side mount or top mount creation and my self in my opion going side mount was a mistake i should have gone behind the block and keep things as simple as i could as ive made everything far to tight and difficault to work on

i think you can get good off boost power by useing a decant compression ratio like 10-1 or maby more depending on fuel and boost after all the metro ran 9.75 and what 7 pound? a good head and cam choice can produce varry good resolts with out getting all compcated

Home > Beginners Tech > fabricating a turbo manifold
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: