Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Beginners Tech > fabricating a turbo manifold

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

OK, OK, point taken. I'll climb back into my hole.

I'm not getting enough daylight which seems to be making me grumpy and miserable.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Handbags away.... i was enjoying what i thought was a healthy debate

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 8th Jan, 2016 Paul S said:
The winners use tuned lengths.

Do you think he'll manage that without cutting the bulkhead ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Excuse my dumbness here... but n/a in theory is the '3 branch into 1' manifold better/equal length compared to the lcb type?

Edited by D4VE on 8th Jan, 2016.

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

Vizard states LCB has more torque from 3-6k rpm. After that its pretty even, but with a slight advantage to 3 into 1 when using long duration cams.

And this is my point. There's been a shit load of research and testing by DV and others to work out how to make the best NA exhaust. No single person here could recreate that if it wasn't already known and it's no different for a turbo manifold. Knowing a few simple rules like "equal length is better" is a long way off actually proving that you can make decent gains.

Until someone presents a VE map comparing the two manifold types, no one knows.

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 8th Jan, 2016 PhilR said:
Vizard states LCB has more torque from 3-6k rpm. After that its pretty even, but with a slight advantage to 3 into 1 when using long duration cams.

And this is my point. There's been a shit load of research and testing by DV and others to work out how to make the best NA exhaust. No single person here could recreate that if it wasn't already known and it's no different for a turbo manifold. Knowing a few simple rules like "equal length is better" is a long way off actually proving that you can make decent gains.

Until someone presents a VE map comparing the two manifold types, no one knows.

It may not be different to a turbo manifold....but turbo cam profiles will be very different which in turn will affect which type of manifold works best...as will cylinder head, type of turbo, boost, inlet etc etc.

Cant really consider just one aspect when there are so many other variables.

IMO keep it simple, he doesnt want to cut his bulkhead and a tiny manifold and a turbo will spool fast and still be able to provide enough power to grenade most engines or gearboxes if you really wanted to push hard.

Win win really. Cheap, simple, it fits, no cutting and it works. Lots of win there !

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

i agree simple is best for 90% of people if you want that last bit you'll really have to work for it

i really regret making mine over complicated! simple is easy to work on, easy to build and much cheaper

benspickup

43 Posts
Member #: 9608

Lincolnshire

Thanks for your input guys. I guess it's important to know the restraints of a build.
I won't in any circumstance chop the bulkhead. The project is my old cooper so I really don't want to ruin it.
I've got some budget but want to spend on some omega pistons and parts I cant make myself
I fabricate things in stainless steel for a living so I'll certainly be making my own manifold. Bad job if I can't

What size tube and thickness flanges are regarded as the best?

Thanks for all input!
Cheers

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

IMO I'd always like 1/2" flanges or more, but thinner have worked for people.

As for pipe diameter, no reason at all to go for anything bigger than the readily available 1.5" OD

If goals are low-moderate you could even go a little smaller without any concerns

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

No bigger than 1 1/4" OD or the pulses will be next to non-existant.

I use 28mm bore Schedule 10 stuff.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

I use 29mm ID for mine. It's just as important to have smooth joins and smooth welds internally otherwise yours just going to cause turbulence everytime the gases pass over a weld.

Edited by matty on 10th Jan, 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

benspickup

43 Posts

Lincolnshire

Agreed, it's the same on the food grade production lines I fabricate. We tend to purge the gasses on the inside of pipes and tanks.

Out of interest,, how much do you charge for a manifold for a gt1752 that requires no bulkhead mods.
Had a look on your site but failed to find it.

Thanks

Ben

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

They are £250 Ben for the manifold.

On this page *wink*

http://fusionfabs.co.uk/stainless-range

Edited by matty on 10th Jan, 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes, back-purging will help with the inside of the weld.

I also have some blocks that I use to stop the flanges from curling. Saves a lot of time later sorting the flanges out.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

benspickup

43 Posts

Lincolnshire

I was going to bolt it up to a head before welding to try and stop it pulling too much.

I'll attempt making one as all it will cost is time, if I make a hash of it, I'll be getting my cheque book out!

Cheers Ben

Home > Beginners Tech > fabricating a turbo manifold
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: