Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Projects > The Pub

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Came twice *blush*

Edited by D4VE on 17th Jan, 2016.

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

On 17th Jan, 2016 Turbo This.. said:
in aus our sheds are usually make from color bond and galvanized/zinc plated steel on a concrete floor

most guys have 6mx6m or bigger

i know your only doing a small budget shed but timber would be my last choice in a cold damp place?

As in england? Haha!

evad1980

1142 Posts
Member #: 10165
Post Whore

Stansted, Essex

Lol yes as in england!

Well thanks chaps for the suggestions.. I have the bits already for the felting and as long as it lasts a few years I'll be happy. If I'm still here in 5 years time and it hasn't fallen down by then I'll upgrade it..

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Lol i do find it funny that in a 'cold damp place' (england) nearly everyone has a shed that 9/10 rots away before your eyes... yet in aus and other hot places they use the stuff turbothis posted..

Edited by D4VE on 17th Jan, 2016.

evad1980

1142 Posts
Post Whore

Stansted, Essex

I think we may have it the wrong way round eh??

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

There is nothing quite like an uninsulated metal shed for giving the joy of indoor rain from all the condensation you get in our cold damp country.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

exactly

On 17th Jan, 2016 metroturbo said:
There is nothing quite like an uninsulated metal shed for giving the joy of indoor rain from all the condensation you get in our cold damp country.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Ah... didnt think o' that.... *happy*

evad1980

1142 Posts
Post Whore

Stansted, Essex

Well, this will be fully insulated with double glazed windows and door or a patio door on the front, not sure yet.. Cladded outside all treated and painted accordingly.. So, with a wall heater or two in there it should be quite cosy for one to retreat and ponder on his next project ha...

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I have a friend with a metal garage - the walls and roof are double skinned with 1" of polystyrene insulation between the skins and he has added 2" Tyvek insulation and ply linings all round and in the roof. By my reckoning it will be better insulated than my house !

It did cost a bit more than a wooden shed though.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

I built mine a few years back
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...id=492713&fr=25

The floor has 100mm of insulation and the walls 100mm wool behind the membrane; roof also has 100mm. windows and doors are all good quality Norwegian double glazed timber. I have no doubt this is a more comfortable environment than the house.

cladding is a heat treated softwood so doesn't need any additional treatment and has silvered down quite nicely since the photos.

wood burner is still great too

evad1980

1142 Posts
Post Whore

Stansted, Essex

Oh thats nice Rob.. a decent size! Wood burner… hmmmm… now your giving me ideas… the ultimate in cosy!!!

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

The burner is simply a converted gas cylinder. I did spend a couple of quid on a twinwall flue though

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium

Was thinking of getting back to a woodburner. I have a gas burner tube since the wood burner fell appart but getting head pains and sore trought from the burned gasses. Since you need to buy gasbotles here instead of renting i have plenty of those... good idea.

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

we have a similar gas bottle wood burner at the workshop which we have been using for the last 8 months or so since the old oil burner stopped working. Its good but takes a bit of time to heat the space.

Having tidied up a couple of weeks ago, we dug out our old gas burner which we stopped using a good 6 years or so ago as it cost us a fortune in gas. The plan was to fire it up and take some photos of it working so we could sell it on, however it clearly heated the space in a couple of minutes so we have decided to keep it to use to initially heat the space then rely on the wood burner to keep the heat going. Having used the gas burner at the weekend, its noisy and, yes, my eyes were affected quite quickly too.

On 18th Jan, 2016 Rammie2000 said:
Was thinking of getting back to a woodburner. I have a gas burner tube since the wood burner fell appart but getting head pains and sore trought from the burned gasses. Since you need to buy gasbotles here instead of renting i have plenty of those... good idea.

evad1980

1142 Posts
Post Whore

Stansted, Essex

Ya looks good, might be easier if I stick to an elec heater though lol....

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

I paid full price for the twin wall flue which was about £70 if I recall. The burner was off ebay for £26.

evad1980

1142 Posts
Post Whore

Stansted, Essex

I have been looking at them already *hehe!*

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Post Whore

belgium

Looks good to. Has it a roster to burn on?

On 18th Jan, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
we have a similar gas bottle wood burner at the workshop which we have been using for the last 8 months or so since the old oil burner stopped working. Its good but takes a bit of time to heat the space.

Having tidied up a couple of weeks ago, we dug out our old gas burner which we stopped using a good 6 years or so ago as it cost us a fortune in gas. The plan was to fire it up and take some photos of it working so we could sell it on, however it clearly heated the space in a couple of minutes so we have decided to keep it to use to initially heat the space then rely on the wood burner to keep the heat going. Having used the gas burner at the weekend, its noisy and, yes, my eyes were affected quite quickly too.

On 18th Jan, 2016 Rammie2000 said:

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

i find it hard to believe timber can out last powder coated or zinc plated steel ? evan if it was in a damp environment

as far as insulation goes most guys will use fiber glass batts and line it to keep the heat out..

we find timber dosent last at all its a waste of time and takes to much to keep in good condition it needs to dry out or it just rotts away in no time unless its H4 treated

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Post Whore

belgium

The correct wood would outlast your kids... i am a (woodworker) carpenter... i helped making stuf that needs to be in sea water 90%of its life... the previous onces they had wore 150 years old.. i even make bathtubs showers and shower floors washbowls etc in wood. No problems with the right wood. (Look at wooden boat's) but the right wood for the right place...

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I agree Rammie. My father in law bought a secondhand shed in 1955. We moved it to a new location 9 years ago and it is still going strong.

Maybe in Oz the termites are more of a problem ?

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Maybe all the rotten sheds growing up as a kid has scarred me into my fear of having a long term wooden garage?

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

The problem isn't keeping the heat out, it's stopping it from getting cold and covered in condensation. Loads of effort and expense on a metal building, or just build it from timber and condensation is not a problem. It does need retreating from time to time, but there is no reason a well built timber building won't last a lifetime.

On 19th Jan, 2016 Turbo This.. said:
i find it hard to believe timber can out last powder coated or zinc plated steel ? evan if it was in a damp environment

as far as insulation goes most guys will use fiber glass batts and line it to keep the heat out..

we find timber dosent last at all its a waste of time and takes to much to keep in good condition it needs to dry out or it just rotts away in no time unless its H4 treated

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

second hand sectional concrete garage off ebay .then lined with old marquis flooring and rockwool behind dustheets . works well.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Home > Non-Mini Projects > The Pub
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: