Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > Offset rockers

masterchief

117 Posts
Member #: 7308
Advanced Member

Devon

Hi folks,

I'm just messing about with some old mini bits that I have laying around in my shed and I have found a spare set of later type rockers (standard lift) and I remember seeing that you can get a offset bush kit for the early pressed style rocker assembly, has anybody ever given it some thought about machining the later type to give higher lift? Please don't shoot me down too much here as I'm only doing at as a engineering excercise and not going to use it on a engine....I do have access to mills, lathes etc so no problems there....any help or measurements for machining will be great.

Thanks

Paul

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

I maybe wrong but surely offsetting them would put the pushrods at a weird angle?

Also don't think it's worth the hassle. Just get the right cam for the engine build.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I have a set of the forged rockers with offset bushes in my engine that has now done over 7K.

Received wisdom from Vizard is that you drill out the rocker posts to move them to align everything.

The tricky bit is getting the offset bush in exactly the right place in the rocker. I broached mine rather than reaming them.

TBH, although they have given me no problems, I doubt if I would bother again.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

IIRC they dont exactly give much more ratio do they? somthing like 1.3 to 1.35

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

I did some once with pressed steel. Didnt have a problem. Just aligned the bushes by eye. Marked each rocker and marked a line across the offset bushes before I parted them off to align when pressing them in, then honed to size. The tolerances are poor in the first place I think so you never going to get it spot on..

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

No, they don,t Joe, but at the time I was scratching around for anything. I was a turbo virgin and had no ideas except what was given to me on here.

Not much better now !

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

To go from 1.23 ish to 1.40 I estimate that you'd have to move the pivot 2mm back. If you're talking about later sintered (non-bushed) rockers, you'd now need to allow for a bushing too. I can't see there would be much metal left on the rocker's underside for any half decent change in ratio.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I never use the sintered ones.

I have two sets of forged ones and some of the pressed steel ones,which can be reinforced with weld, a la Vizard.

Both I suspect are lighter than the sintered ones which were just a cheaper production alternative.

Home > Technical Chat > Offset rockers
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: