Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Introduce Yourself > 1973 Mini MK2 project

Thumz

8 Posts
Member #: 11317

Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi guys just joined the forum and psyched to read and learn from you guys I have a '73 mini mk2 850cc
And it's been a joy, of recent though I've been thinking of making it go fast...really fast and want to do away with the standard motor I've had the car for 3 years now and can't make up my mind on what engine to put in...I've looked at Toyota and Honda but it all seems too common and would like something a little more unique I don't have much mechanical experience but have enough to get me by. I essentially want the car to do some 10 seconds below on a 1/4 mile stretch and be used once a while on the road so road worthiness is a must does anyone's car do that here would really appreciate any advice or suggestions on regard to the motor and whether I'm dreaming of 10 seconds or is it a reality. I am from South Africa and minis aren't that common here so original parts are a nightmare to source and privy to import but all advice is welcome it would be a great help making up my mind when I have advice from pros

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

The Don's for sale last time I looked. That will get you into the 11's

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

welcome! 10's is do able but far from reality for most.. theres a table on here of everyones 1/4 mile times

Edited by D4VE on 13th Feb, 2016.

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

A sub 10 decided nd car that is driveable on the road. Meanwhile in the real world...

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

paul wiginton
Forum Mod

5933 Posts
Member #: 784
9 times Avon Park Class C winner

Milton Keynes

On 13th Feb, 2016 Thumz said:
Hi guys just joined the forum and psyched to read and learn from you guys I have a '73 mini mk2 850cc
And it's been a joy, of recent though I've been thinking of making it go fast...really fast and want to do away with the standard motor I've had the car for 3 years now and can't make up my mind on what engine to put in...I've looked at Toyota and Honda but it all seems too common and would like something a little more unique I don't have much mechanical experience but have enough to get me by. I essentially want the car to do some 10 seconds below on a 1/4 mile stretch and be used once a while on the road so road worthiness is a must does anyone's car do that here would really appreciate any advice or suggestions on regard to the motor and whether I'm dreaming of 10 seconds or is it a reality. I am from South Africa and minis aren't that common here so original parts are a nightmare to source and privy to import but all advice is welcome it would be a great help making up my mind when I have advice from pros

lmao

I seriously doubt it!

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Is this a real post?

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

C'mon guys... welcoming

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Welcome!

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

Welcome, a 10s 8th mile is easily achievable, however a 10s quarter isn't within the realms of unachievable, but even 12s is a very very good effort, and expensive, and takes a lot of time with r&d. Realistically it would have to be 4wd or Rwd, and be probably 500hp at the very least to even think about those sort of times sub 12s

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Welcome along :).

I think your target is a little unrealistic for a mini.

Have a read around on here.

Put up some pictures of your car!

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

Oh dear my original post has disappeared.

lmao

Welcome Thumz. If you've got little experience with engine swaps, go for something that's already been done and documented to get some experience to build on. You're not likely to reach your goal in one step.

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

Dont you mean mk3? welcome to the forum, i hope your mini dreams are not to badly shattered.

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

Thumz

8 Posts

Thanks for the great welcoming guys and advice is greatly appreciated will be following more posts and getting some research done will create a thread as soon as the project gets started hope to get more advice and tips along the way once again thanks!

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

Welcome

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

10's is a serious number.

Don't underestimate how hard it is to even get into the 13's, a 13 sec Mini is a SERIOUSLY FAST road car.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

Welcome to TM.

we all like to have a goal! Go for it, although you are going to have to be totally committed to get those figures. I've seen guys work hard through the years (I remember when turbo minis first broke into the 13's over 10 years ago) and it probably took another 6-7 years to get another second off them. There are cars running much quicker now mind you

paul wiginton
Forum Mod

5933 Posts
Member #: 784
9 times Avon Park Class C winner

Milton Keynes

On 15th Feb, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
(I remember when turbo minis first broke into the 13's over 10 years ago)

I remember running 13s before any turbo mini with my n/a, thats what its all about - pushing the limits. Go for it Thumz

I seriously doubt it!

Thumz

8 Posts

Thanks that's really inspiring maybe if I hit 10s il post a link to the video I've been following pickles 1.8t thread on the 16v mini forum and I'm pretty sure he's on to something there once again thanks guys will be dropping the motor before the end of this month and sending her for some body work and paint in the mean time il be motor shopping

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Check out bretts on here.... my money on that doin a scary time

Home > Introduce Yourself > 1973 Mini MK2 project
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: