Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Supercharger with TBi

Arnoud

160 Posts
Member #: 1085
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Hi all,
Time to finally get rid of the HIF44 on the 1293 with M45 compressor (poorly made V-max clone setup). Already running a Megasquirt but only for ignition. The plan is to fit twin TB's off a BMW Rt1150 bike and let one run from 0-max revs and let the other kick in from about 2k onward. Has anyone tried this?

1963 Cooper
1975 Pick Up

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Just go all out injection on it and take a look at podifold. Be a better option than youe saying imo

Arnoud

160 Posts
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Got it going:)
Current issue is the front TB's butterfly isn't sealing at idle but otherwise quite pleased with myself*wink*

Attachments:

1963 Cooper
1975 Pick Up

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Looks interesting. Is it two TBs in series, one without a butterfly?

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Arnoud

160 Posts
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Correct. Still needs fine tuning but looking for another TB first; this butterfly is leaking so bad that I can't get it to idle below 2k.

1963 Cooper
1975 Pick Up

wilsonc001

45 Posts
Member #: 11333

Are those TBs from a BMW boxer? (e.g. RT1150) - Ignore this, I'd somehow missed the OP saying they are from an RT1100.

I've never been a fan of draw-through setups but I'm interested in how the Megasquirt handles what is effectively an 'electronic carb'?

Edited by wilsonc001 on 8th Sep, 2016.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

simple really, the squirt looks at the pressure/vacum in the manifold and rpm and injects the appropriate amount of fuel from a look up table.

admitedly slightly more complcated than that as there are temp calculations ect involved, but thats the basic principle.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Arnoud

160 Posts
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Sofar it's running fine. There's a Pressure and air temp sensor in the inlet manifold. I found a Volvo coolant temp sensor which goes where the old one was. First cold start is still an issue and it seems to run out of steam under max throttle but both are solvable. I'm getting another R1100 TB because the current one leaks massively past the butterfly so idle speed is 1500rpm atm.

1963 Cooper
1975 Pick Up

wilsonc001

45 Posts

On 7th Sep, 2016 Joe C said:
simple really, the squirt looks at the pressure/vacum in the manifold and rpm and injects the appropriate amount of fuel from a look up table.

I understand the principle but I've not seen the reality.

It's something that I've been discussing recently with a friend and I'm not sure why it hasn't been a more popular solution. While it's not as 'good' as multi-point injection, the easier fuel control must make it better than a carb (at least in that regard). So really what my original question should have been is - if this is working well, why aren't 'electronic carbs' more popular for FI engines?

There is also the quite high probability that they are popular and I've just not seen them!

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 8th Sep, 2016 wilsonc001 said:

It's something that I've been discussing recently with a friend and I'm not sure why it hasn't been a more popular solution. While it's not as 'good' as multi-point injection, the easier fuel control must make it better than a carb (at least in that regard). So really what my original question should have been is - if this is working well, why aren't 'electronic carbs' more popular for FI engines?

If by "electronic carb" you mean one (or more) injector(s) in a single loaction where a carb would normally be, then lots of early injection systems were like that.
As it's a Mini forum, just use the SPI Mini or the early Metro K series engines as an example.

Most manufacturers moved to port injection because it's more efficient (especially if sequential and timed) and can meet modern emissions regulations more easily (hence Rover moving from SPI to MPI to keep the Mini on the road for a couple more years).

The potential issue with single point injection is that all EFI controls the amount of fuel by a series of pulsed openning of the injector(s) each pulse being a calculated duration, short ones at low loads, long ones at high loads. A real carb delivers a continuous flow of fuel of a varying volume/mass. Thus SPI doesn't mix the fuel/air as well as a carb so the mixture distribution between cylinders can vary, especially on a normal 8 port engine where the distances to the outer cylinders is greater than the inners on a traditional manifold. That bit doesn't apply to the A Series engines, they have their own unique issues with mixture distribution but, as you say the ease of changing fuelling from a laptop rather than messing around with needles or venturis and jets, means I would never use a carb again.

And there are several people on this forum using an SPI type setup (usually referred to as "wet manifold") and several others who are using a fully sequential timed port injection setup.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

wilsonc001

45 Posts

On 8th Sep, 2016 Rod S said:
That bit doesn't apply to the A Series engines, they have their own unique issues with mixture distribution

And to refine my question even further, this is really what I was getting towards.

I've owned SPI cars myself (early 90s Vauxhalls) but it's the combination of the 5-port head with it's charge robbing nature and forced induction - do they make fuelling using a single injector difficult? So difficult that a carb is easier? Is there just a lack of compatible hardware?

The difficulties of injector timing with multiple-point injection on a 5-port engine (although solved by a number of ECUs now) would seem to make SPI a good 'Plan B'.

Again, it could just be that I've not read enough build threads to spot it's usage. But thanks for the replies so far *smiley* (and apologies to the OP for diverting his thread).

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 8th Sep, 2016 wilsonc001 said:

Again, it could just be that I've not read enough build threads to spot it's usage. But thanks for the replies so far *smiley* (and apologies to the OP for diverting his thread).

Yes, you have rather hijacked Arnoud's thread although I do see the link between your question and his TBI setup.
There is plenty of info on this forum as to what we have all done with EFI so I would suggest either search or start a seperate topic/thread with your specific issues/thoughts.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Supercharger with TBi
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: