Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > MS3 question

Smackfiend

33 Posts
Member #: 9867

Apologies if this is a dim question but I've a got a megasquirt 3 and plan to use it for just the ignition side of things for now, I plan on going injection at a later date.

Firstly is this possible just to run the ignition using a MS3?

Secondly, what is the best software / program to use?
I’ve got the Megajolt Lite Jr. Configurator which I planned to use to set the ignition side of things – (because it’s simple enough for me to get my head around) and all the base maps that I have obtained are on the mj lite software type.

But I also have TunerStudio MS installed for when I go injection. If I use this I’ll need to convert / write my own ignition maps.
Is there a better program / software to run the MS?

Cheers in advance,
Ian

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes you can use MS3 for ignition alone.

You will not be able to use the Megajolt software. MS3 can only be set up and tuned by Tuner Studio. You can probably import ignition maps if you can export from the MJ software.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

As Paul says, TunerStudio is the only sensible option when working with anything Megasquirt.

You can import and export the MS ignition tables (using TunerStudio) but the file format may not be the same as Megajolt.
However, you can open them in a spreadsheet, they are just basic CSV files with a unique suffix (remove it) and cut/paste between the files if they are incompatible for direct import or just type the new values into the MS3 ignition table inside TunerStudio. It's not going to take any more than 10 minutes to type it from scratch.

TBH I would let TS (TunerStudio) generate its own basic ignition map from the engine parameters you enter and then just compare it to the one you prefer to see it it warrants any changes. I'm still on the TS generated map with no problems.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Smackfiend

33 Posts
Member #: 9867

Cheers guys!

As you can probably tell I'm completely new to this and know I've got a lot to learn, especially when it comes to injection and the siamese 5 port head.

I've had a look at generating my own map using the engine parameters and I think I need the paid for version not the freebie one (Tuner Studio MS lite), is this the case? I don’t mind re-typing the map up if this is the case.

Thanks again,
Ian

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 10th Jun, 2016 Smackfiend said:
I've had a look at generating my own map using the engine parameters and I think I need the paid for version not the freebie one (Tuner Studio MS lite), is this the case?
You could well be correct there, I held off buying the paid version for ages after the historical change from Megatune but, once you go to fuelling, you will find the paid for version invaluable.

If you want to wait before upgrading, typing it in manually is no big deal.
But the table sizes may be different (16x16 vs 12x12 possibly?) so you may have to do a bit of interpolation to make it fit properly. That's where importing/exporting to a spreadsheet becomes useful.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > MS3 question
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: