Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Short Stroke - Project - Dyno-tastic

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

hi graham , in total how will this differ from your present engine,and what sort of power will it have ?i am guessing more capacity and a higher max revs ? what cam ,and what head spec ? :)

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

On 8th Sep, 2016 robert said:
hi graham , in total how will this differ from your present engine,and what sort of power will it have ?i am guessing more capacity and a higher max revs ? what cam ,and what head spec ? :)

Hi Robert, well I understand this is an expensive way to get a similar amount of power to the current spec, but then I think the current 1060 over performed when we had it at the Dyno, it exceeded my expectations. However I have wanted a square engine, since I was 17, and I guess sometimes life is too short not to do these things. I'm trying to build to a reasonable budget.....

Off of the top of my head it will be a little over 1100cc
1275 bore +040
6cc dished Pistons
6" rods (Calver didn't seem to like this idea sure to the rod stroke ratio, but did understand why I was doing it)
Re13T at 112deg LCA
A turbo Phil 5 port head (so my current one with the inlet valve sizes increase 35mm inlet and 29mm ex) I will leave the rest to Phil as the current spec has worked so well.
I will leave the box as is with the 3.1 diff just upgrade to hardy spicers

I'm going to bolt all of the injection, supercharger and water injection kit back on.

Target power is the break the 100bhp at the wheels at 11 psi.

Whilst everyone talks about the magic 10k rpm's... I realise that's just a pipe dream, but I'm guessing 8k -8.5k must be do-able?

So why do all this? So that when your asked, so mate what under the hood, It's 1071 baby.......

I'm trying to build for a reasonable budget, swinging some spanners myself. So far:

Re-ground, and checked crank £200
6" rods £250
Pistons £270+ £72 for the clip job
Block bored to +040 £50
ACL Mains, big ends, thrusts and gaskets, £100
Centre main strap and dowls from swiftune circa £50 posted
Conversion kit from auto to manual including shipping from Aus and the new spool £50
Mpi spare steel backed oil pump £35

I still need to get the dip stick hole drilled, and one of the 11 stud holes seems to be a bit wonky so I will need to get the machine shop to helicoil it

And I was going to burn another £90 on a cometic gasket as the one on the 1060 has been bomb proof.
Plus the head will need new inlet valves and some work from the world famous Turbo Phil...

So it's not change you can find down the back of the sofa, but it's not going to be the most expensive build in the world.

Must be mad to spend all that cash for 40cc 😀🤑🤔

Edited by gr4h4m on 8th Sep, 2016.

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

You could be right Dave.

On 7th Sep, 2016 D4VE said:
Aint damico who do SC's work too?

JetBLICK

243 Posts
Member #: 1261

Droitwich

I think if ur supercharging it your going to end up with something very unique and id say worth the hassle. It'll be so smooth, so nice to drive with such a huge power band.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

What's the rod/stroke ratio on formula1 engine?

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

well thats interesting, because I remember a Calver article from several years back where he was banging on about having a SA 1071 crank and 6" rods in his road car and how fucking fantastic it was...

Keith is a very knowlegable guy and does some great stuff, but i do wonder if his mouth and brain are attached sometimes. LOL

On 8th Sep, 2016 gr4h4m said:

Hi R
6" rods (Calver didn't seem to like this idea sure to the rod stroke ratio, but did understand why I was doing it)

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

To be fair, he's been great with me, I have seen a calver engine one of the lads has got one in a local club and it was a work of art.

The comment on the ratio was:

Not sure the 6" rods are going to help performance much though. With the standard centres rods they are over 2.0 rod length to stroke ratio.... going 6" centres takes that out to 2.18.
I'm not sure but everything else I have read has said that it's a good idea. Plus it's kind of lacked in in terms of my build. He understood that I didn't want to chop the deck height down.

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

thanks graham ,good explanation .maybe a different cam for the different rev range ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

What would you recommend? I have been looking but it's hard to find something that has a wide Lca. The boys down under recon it will Rev in a small bore

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Robert will have better input on this, but you might be better of without the wide LCA in this case, the wide LCA will tend to bring the peak power down, a 266 might be better, and also a bigish turbo for the CC, perhaps a 2056.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Joe I'm using an evil suck through supercharger, it didn't work too well with a 266. The re13t on the wide LCA was a big improvement.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

sorry, Of course you are! I knew that honest!

ok, not so critcal cam wise then. but a set of 1.5 rockers might be worth a try if you cn borrow a set

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

We'll have to consider some new valve springs to, if you're going 8k+

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Agreed Phil, I can't remeber what's in the head now tbh.

Joe so more lift should increase the rpm a little.
The re-13t pulls the 1060 to 7300 with ease at the mo, on the track it always felt like it wanted more, I forgot the laptop at blyton or I would have upped the limit😀

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

yeah it can do, essentially it just makes a cam a bit more agressive,

it would be worthwhile looking at cam timing too, maybe worth a couple of degrees of retard

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

On 8th Sep, 2016 Sprocket said:

Dam you Colin, I've spent the last hour reading articles on F1 rod/stroke ratios (I was surprised how much Google through up) and now my brain hurts, a lot, but I've come to the conclusion that the rod/stroke ratio on F1 engines is choosen to reduce the tensile stress on the rods which is driven by the choose of rod material, or I might have cooked my brain and got it all muddled up.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

where was pk power on the dyno graham ?

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Looking at the picture of the graph it was zoomed in and out of scale. The limiter was at 7300 in the ecu and the graph was still on the uptake that rpm, but the line was starting to dip off, peak torque was at about 6500 ish where it was at 90 BHP ATW at 7300 it was at 96 BHP ATW

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

This was one of the many threads I was reading that led me into the wider LCA used on the v8's. I then found out that you could get the RE13T in a wide LCA.

http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/page/p...prod/prd120.htm

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 9th Sep, 2016 Rob H said:
On 8th Sep, 2016 Sprocket said:

Dam you Colin, I've spent the last hour reading articles on F1 rod/stroke ratios (I was surprised how much Google through up) and now my brain hurts, a lot, but I've come to the conclusion that the rod/stroke ratio on F1 engines is choosen to reduce the tensile stress on the rods which is driven by the choose of rod material, or I might have cooked my brain and got it all muddled up.

*happy*

Its got a lot to do with the dwell at TDC and BDC too. While mid stroke piston speeds might increase, the piston speeds are reduced nearer the top and bottom of the stroke, meaning there is more time on the dwell periods, which helps in the higher rpms, but not as good in the lower rpms.

I really dont think the 6" rod on a 1070 crank would be any worse than the 5.875" rod on the 970 crank, infact its better if you're that hung about it. Thing is, the 970 S was apparently the mutts nuts so couldnt have been all that detrimental?......

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

So I might have the start position of joining the secret cam brigade... Thanks to Robert....

Anyway the block is at the machine shop to have the dipstick hole drilled, a new top hat bush put into the gear I smacked it up on when I ran a 1275 primary on a 998 crank. So they have my beautiful crank...

The Pistons are being Machined and once I get it all back its, cleaning, pairing and spanner swinging time...

That will also mean I have to pull the old lump out and get the head to Turbo Phil..

Omg the dream is slowly becoming a reality...

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

Update, Pistons arrived Friday last week, should be back to me by Wednesday.. Pics when they arrive...

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

so..... after a load of messing about I have collected the block from the original machinist who after three months hadn't touched it.

I have also managed to get my grubby hands on another block, manual this time. so this is now going hopefully tomorrow to the bloke Sprocket uses, for a re-bore, deck, and some 11 stud action... Then I can swing some spanners and hopefully get it in the car...

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

A main strap would be pointless on this.

Regarding revs. I've revved, Miniminor63's SA crank 9400, so it can be done *wink*

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Post Whore

Chester

V why do you say that?

Home > Show Us Yours! > Short Stroke - Project - Dyno-tastic
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: