Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > Rear callipers

paul wiginton
Forum Mod

5933 Posts
Member #: 784
9 times Avon Park Class C winner

Milton Keynes

I know there are some clever technically minded folk on here so have a think about this, Im pondering my new rear trailing arms and calliper position, previously my callipers were at the back of the hub but am considering front of the hub, above the hub and below the hub. What are the effects of these positions on the brakes and attitude of the back end of the car?

I seriously doubt it!

fastcarl

6962 Posts
Member #: 507
Fastest A Series Mini in the World

leeds/wakefield.

Paul

cars with big overhangs have a high polar moment of inertia, IE it breaks away sooner and progressively, callipers at the rear of the car would put you in this group theoretically, but on a mini it won't make a fuck of difference where they are fitted.

I have fitted the callipers on my new car under slung to lower COG.

carl

WWW.FORCE-RACING.CO.UK PLEASE CLICK HERE

Aubrey_Boy

690 Posts
Member #: 9962
Post Whore

Paul, Funny, I've been looking at the same this week

As Carl says there is an effect on vertical CofG - lower is better so below the wheel centre and there is a fore / aft CofG effect, As your's primarily for drag use you want as much weight forward as possible, so on the side view I'd say at sort of 4 - 5 o'clock depending on clearance to the trailing arm - this is where I am looking to fit them myself. Also moving it forward reduces pitch inertia

We used to do the same on the Suoer Touring cars for the same reasons.

Bear in mind that most calipers are designed with bleed nipples expecting them to be fitted at 3 o'clock or 9 co'clock, but it just means you have to disconnect the caliper from the trailing arm to 100% bleed it but no big deal.

As far as it's effect on the 'attitude' of the car, there is none, the caliper forces react relative to the hub centre I guess you are specifically interested when you preload the rear with the handbrake? Just position them as low and as far forward as possible is what am doing.

paul wiginton
Forum Mod

5933 Posts
Member #: 784
9 times Avon Park Class C winner

Milton Keynes

You read my mind perfectly. It is the handbrake I was specifically thinking of and wanted to see if anyone would confirm my thinking without me prompting it. The position you suggest is exactly where I have mocked it up. Thanks

I seriously doubt it!

Home > Technical Chat > Rear callipers
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: