Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > metro turbo engine fitted with supercharger

stuart3925

11 Posts
Member #: 11213

Today I bought a basket case with a 1275 engine in it after getting it home i check out the engine number and it showed that it was a turbo engine, so i took off the rocker box and checked the valves and found it is defiantly a turbo head so I can only assume that it is a turbo engine converted to NA. as I don't have the turbo, manifolds and other bits i was thinking of bolting on an m45 i have kicking around the workshop. can anyone tell me if they have done this? also is there any way I can check to see if the dizzy is for a turbo engine? and lastly what boost level to run at safely with a standard engine as I don't want to spend any real money on it as its only a temporary engine while I build up my 16v engine.

Stuart.

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Even the Turbo compression of 9.4-1 will be to high for all but the lowest boost using an M45. You could take some material out the chambers to drop it to something more sensible. Also the Turbo dizzy will be nowhere near for your application unfortunately.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Yeh, seems like a waste of time to me, you might be able to run it at something like 5psi with a NA style dizzy retarded quite a bit but i dont think it would work very well.

theoneeyedlizard

7260 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Depending on what's left of the turbo setup, it'd probably be easier to slap a turbo on.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

ian2000t

143 Posts
Member #: 2764
Advanced Member

Halesowen

On 20th Sep, 2016 Turbo Phil said:
Even the Turbo compression of 9.4-1 will be to high for all but the lowest boost using an M45. You could take some material out the chambers to drop it to something more sensible. Also the Turbo dizzy will be nowhere near for your application unfortunately.

Phil.

Just interested, but why would you need lower CR for a supercharger than a turbo, assuming the same boost level is used on both?

1994 Mini Mayfair, 1330, Mspd Ph2 cam, Benross turbo head, 9:1, GT1752, TT Intercooler, MegaJolt, BMW M3 leather seats.

stuart3925

11 Posts

As I said earlier this engine is only going to be in temporary so I don't want to waste time and money on it. As for the dizzy all I wanted to know is there a way of telling if it was for a turbo application or is it a dizzy for a N/A? Setting up the dizzy is not a problem on a supercharged engine for me. I'm curious to know why the downer on superchargers? I know they don't have the efficiency of the turbo but if you have a power figure in mind and you can achieve this with a mechanical blower why not as there will be no lag?

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Nothing wrong with using a supercharger and if you've got a sensible power figure in mind, I'm sure it will work ok. The Turbo dizzy is identifiable by it's part number, which I can't remember off the top if my head.
The M45 is very inefficient compared to a decent turbo. Hence recommending a lower compression ratio for the supercharger over a turbo.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

I can see sorting the belt drive being more hassle than is worth it, but if its a chuck together afair... slap 2 headgaskets on there?

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

stuart3925

11 Posts

Ok, thank you all for your responses, I think I just need to do this and find out how well it works.

Stuart.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Read the turbo engine myths thread. The turbo engines were not that special. You'd be better sticking it on ebay where they go for decent money rather than trying to melt it with an SC.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

we ran 2 he gaskets on johns engine with no problems ,until he hit 15 psi lol.

i would lock out the dizzy timing to be fixed ,eg take the springs off and weld the mechanism to its stop ,then try 20 to 25 degrees and see what doesnt knock ,

on 10 psi from the blower it should be a hoot .

i think at amd they were running those eatons up to 20 psi and making 240 odd bhp ,so they do work .

regards
robert.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

stuart3925

11 Posts

Thanks Robert you've been most helpful.

Stuart.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > metro turbo engine fitted with supercharger
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: