Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > 7 port info

Adam_R

603 Posts
Member #: 1938
Post Whore

near Dundee

Hi all,
I've had A LOT of time on my hands recently and of course started looking at all things mini engine related. (the last thing to build for my mini)

As it happens it was Wolfie's thread about thinking of selling up mentioning 7 ports that got me looking in this area.
originally i had planned and acquired a fair few parts for a K1100 build but the machining, costs and knowledge left me out of my depth.
So i now found myself looking at just fitting a STD 1275 and being done with it. but like i said I've had plenty time to look at things, and have been looking at 7 port options.

I know that possibly the best bet for a n/a engine is probably the SC head with injection but this is also the most expensive option.

I've been looking at the Webcon option but have read the extra machine is required.
do we have any idea what is actually required?
the price is tempting but would depend on the extra work required.

as i understand it the Webcon head is the same as the MED head albeit the MED version has been worked on.

I've also read that HRE sell these heads but cannot find any website that works, does this company still exist?

the initial plan was to build a strong bottom end and buy a modified 12g940 but the cost of the head caused me to look again at 7 port.

any help appreciated

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Paul at HRE doesn't come on here much now. He used to be able to supply the heads, but as far as I'm aware is unable to now.
There used to be a company selling them on eBay. You could look there. The issue is importing it, as once the relevant taxes are added it doesn't work out so cheap. They were also only selling them with the smaller 33mm inlet valve, which will limit power potential. They're also quite crudely cast, so require a bit if work to get the ports well.
For a hot road motor the SC head is ideal and has much better sized ports for road use.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Adam_R

603 Posts
Member #: 1938
Post Whore

near Dundee

The company that sold the heads on eBay, i can't seem to find them anymore. however webcon seems to offer the same head.

do you know what work is required to bring the heads up to scratch?

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

The webcon one is the same casting MED use, though theirs are sold in a finished state.
I've never seen one personally but have seen pictures and spoken to people who've bought them. It seems they're sold very basically cast and all the finishing of the ports is required. How much will depend on what you need out of it I guess. The flowbench is your friend here.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Member #: 1592
Smart Guy!

mainland europe near ze germans

It is possible to make a 5 port engine work well NA. I help out with a race mini and it has a very nice powercurve with a long cam (300+ Degrees) just sticking in a more sane cam would make it into a very fast ( albeit expensive) road engine.

the cast alloy head are from Pierce manifolds

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/category_s/53.htm

Edited by Sir Yun on 26th Sep, 2016.

That sir, is not rust, it is the progressive mass reduction system

http://aseriesmodifications.wordpress.com/

Home > General Chat > 7 port info
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: