Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > winter storage

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

well its coming to that time of the year again. The mini was foolishly left out in all weathers last winter on the drive and suffered as a result. Given the weather is clearly on the turn, I'm thinking what to do with it this year.

I've not got a great deal of space at the workshop to store it there (although I could if I had to) as it would take up valuable work space for the other cars. This would be the best place for it though

Other option would be to get a good tailored cover for it for sitting on the drive. Does anyone have any recommendations for one? I know i'm going to have to pay a bit for a good one.

Final option would be to build a carport to keep it under at the side of the house; time is probably not on my side for that one but I would like something like that longer term.

Thoughts?

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

I think your options go

1. Inside

2. Carport

3. Umm cover it up !

Im not a fan of covers for outdoor, ive got a super soft cotton cover for mine but for inside. I no they say they let them breath but im still not convinced .
Carport i like , the car doesnt get wet but it can have a good circulation of air arround it

Callum

450 Posts
Member #: 10396
Advanced Member Formerly mk2turbo

Stoke-on-Trent

What about a big tent? No connection with myself

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/182287864773

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

The motorbike swing over covers are probably best... in one of the pics on ebay there is a mini in it! Were about 150 last time i looked

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

that's my thoughts too. the tent idea wouldn't work as as I don't have the space up the side of the house to erect one and still be able to get past it. Also don't really fancy the idea of it flapping about in the wind (similar issue with the cover to be honest.)

I'm going to price up the carport option as it could go up pretty quickly if I put my mind to it

On 27th Sep, 2016 cossierick said:
I think your options go

1. Inside

2. Carport

3. Umm cover it up !

Im not a fan of covers for outdoor, ive got a super soft cotton cover for mine but for inside. I no they say they let them breath but im still not convinced .
Carport i like , the car doesnt get wet but it can have a good circulation of air arround it

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

I built a carport for mine, few bits of timber, a few brackets. Some plastic corrugated sheeting and bolted down to the slabs, even sheeted it up with tarps and got a thick clear plastic tarp off ebay for the front, it's taken everything the weather has thrown at it after redoing the roof to make it stronger (i rushed it first time) and could easily be done in a weekend.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

I'd also go with the shakey structure, built from all sorts as long as it's weather tight.

Edited by minimole23 on 27th Sep, 2016.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

mines been outside for the last 30 years, another winter wont hurt *hehe!* *hehe!* *hehe!* *hehe!*

although it is very sheltered it still gets rained on :(

i realise though this doesnt help you much *happy**happy*

Edited by Brett on 27th Sep, 2016.

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

I've got a monsoon car cover. Best I can do at the moment. My mini has been under it since it came off the road about 4 years ago. Not as good as it when in but nothing a good wash a polish couldn't sort out. There is very slight rusting where water has collected. But nothing to warrant panel changes etc merely just a quick run down and spray with a touch up can

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

Looks like i'm going for the car port. Spoke to the planners this afternoon so no issue there. Just need to come up with a nice design now. I need to keep access for painting, window cleaning etc on the gable of the house so the roof is going to have to withstand ladder loads as a minimum and i dont want it to look like something steptoe built

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Rob, can't you just make it so the roof sheets are removeable in the case of needing ladder access? Would allow the frame to be a lot less substantial.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

I could have tom but one of the benefits of making a deck out of the roof is that its bit easier to get to the apex for painting too. my existing triple extension ladders are a metre short.

got a revised plan for a nice architectural designed steel frame which I can get galvanised before it goes up. Not sure it will all be done in time for this winter but will see

Home > General Chat > winter storage
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: