Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > 12g295 unleaded conversion

steve2016

81 Posts
Member #: 11403
Advanced Member

Going to get a 295 head reconditioned but didn't know if I should do an unleaded conversion as well at the same time.

Is it right that 295 heads are known to crack after having an unleaded conversion done? Don't Want to end up with a big bill and a cracked head at the end of it!!

Also its going to be turbo powered as well could that add more strain on the head making cracking more likely?

Thanks

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Because the inserts are an interference fit there's always a chance of the head cracking, more so on the prehistoric 295 heads.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

steve2016

81 Posts
Advanced Member

Would you recommend leaving the head leaded and just use an additive instead?

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

It doesn't help if they are put in with too much interference so get someone who knows what they are doing.. I dont think theres much more chance of the 295 head cracking than the 940 head tho is there? Is the material that different??

I wouldnt hesitate to do it to my head. Done plenty before with no problems.

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

It will most likely be fine, but it is something to be aware of. I think it's the age of the head and the many heat cycles they've been through that can increase the chances slightly. 99% of the time there's no issue.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

steve2016

81 Posts
Advanced Member

Would running an additive cause any boost problems if I decide not to convert?.

I don't bother with additive in my standard 998 head but with this being a 295 head I thought I would look after it better...

Thanks

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

I think you'll need to do many many thousands of miles before you'll need to do anything about valve seat recession. Just chuck some additive in once every now and then, not sure if premium unleaded helps these days or not with it, always run anything i care about on vpower or bp ultimate if i can't get to a shell garage anyway.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

On a 295 turbo, I'd fit seats to reduce the likelihood of cracking.

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > 12g295 unleaded conversion
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: