Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Good Garages & Parts Suppliers > AC Dodd

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

I'm out of words.... I only build engines for a hobby as well, but I bought a jig because that's how you do it. This other socalled method is just worthless inaccurate rubbish.
Stop it for fucks sake!

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

ACDodd

10 Posts
Member #: 11490

No need for that language. The good thing here is people have choice. They can choose where to go to get work done and have a discussion with there engine builder about what methods are used. There are many ways to do many engineering processes, and each have there pros and cons. I certainly do not go around saying my methods are better than anybody elses. At the end of the day its these choices that need to be made which form the foundations of a good build for the application required. I continue to learn and apply new techniques as time goes on, the art of a successful engine builder is to change and adapt as new technology and materials are produced. One of the reasons I looked into producing my own cam range was a realisation that better profiles were too be had, and finding more power and torque. Now maybe there is power and torque hidden in changing my method of balancing rods. I suspect should I experiment in this area the gains would be much much smaller that a decent cam profile over and older version. Until the point other areas of development which are open to me are exhausted or it becomes a problem due to mechanical failure I will continue to use this process as it has served me very well for 20 odd years I have been using it. There are many more areas in the a-series engine that cost people a lot of power. Difference in conrod balance methods pale into insignificance against a fundamental flaw as insufficient counterweights in the stock crank for example.
This will be my last post on this subject.

Ac

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

Really well put and brilliantly concise .good man .

On 25th Dec, 2016 ACDodd said:
No need for that language. The good thing here is people have choice. They can choose where to go to get work done and have a discussion with there engine builder about what methods are used. There are many ways to do many engineering processes, and each have there pros and cons. I certainly do not go around saying my methods are better than anybody elses. At the end of the day its these choices that need to be made which form the foundations of a good build for the application required. I continue to learn and apply new techniques as time goes on, the art of a successful engine builder is to change and adapt as new technology and materials are produced. One of the reasons I looked into producing my own cam range was a realisation that better profiles were too be had, and finding more power and torque. Now maybe there is power and torque hidden in changing my method of balancing rods. I suspect should I experiment in this area the gains would be much much smaller that a decent cam profile over and older version. Until the point other areas of development which are open to me are exhausted or it becomes a problem due to mechanical failure I will continue to use this process as it has served me very well for 20 odd years I have been using it. There are many more areas in the a-series engine that cost people a lot of power. Difference in conrod balance methods pale into insignificance against a fundamental flaw as insufficient counterweights in the stock crank for example.
This will be my last post on this subject.

Ac

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Got a MED flywheel here.

Not checked it or anything. Built an RTS onto it with no issues and it feels fine and balanced up well at KAD.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

all fine and well making the flywheel flat before bolting the diaphragm and pressure plate up...... the 200 odd pounds of pressure is surely going to distort the whole thing much like the ring gear does. agreed if the run out is all over the show to begin with, but a little tension from the ring gear isnt going to hurt.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

dazibee

553 Posts
Member #: 1356
Post Whore

TRURO, CORNWALL

On 25th Dec, 2016 Vegard said:
I'm out of words.... I only build engines for a hobby as well, but I bought a jig because that's how you do it. This other socalled method is just worthless inaccurate rubbish.
Stop it for fucks sake!

There is not much posting going on here any more, somebody new joins and you scare them away with your rudeness, well done!!!

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Dazi, Vegard's a good old boy.
He's just passionate about his rods that's all. Having seen AC being excessively anal about a lot of stuff in the past, I'm surprised he doesn't do his rods end-to-end, but he's explained his reasoning. I'm sure if someone REALLY wanted end-to-end balanced rods, in their engine, he'd happily send them off to be done so long as the customer paid for it of course...

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

Sorry, not trying to be rude but I'm quite anal with rods..

Oh....

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 28th May, 2010 Sprocket said:
Balancing Rods?

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 28th Dec, 2016 Vegard said:
Sorry, not trying to be rude but I'm quite fond of anal with rod s..

Wait, what?

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

oh nooooo....!

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Home > Good Garages & Parts Suppliers > AC Dodd
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: