Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Oil drain not low enough

ian2000t

143 Posts
Member #: 2764
Advanced Member

Halesowen

Well, my Mini is run in now, but I have 2 problems - oil leak from turbo oil drain somewhere even parked up, and the exhaust oil smoke which was getting better is now worse than ever!

I've been talking to Doug Sport in Wordsley - very helpful guy who gas said the following about my setup:

- engine breathers too small. Thinks crack car pressure may be building and trying to exit through turbo return, stopping oil returning properly.

- return point is too high for the turbo. Our home made manifold seems to sit the turbo slightly too low to return to the fuel pump blank without it going slightly uphill.

His suggestion was to turn the fuel pump blank into a breather, and drill/tap the block lower down for a turbo return. Had anyone ever done this before on here? Or is there somewhere lower I can return to than the fuel pump hole?

1994 Mini Mayfair, 1330, Mspd Ph2 cam, Benross turbo head, 9:1, GT1752, TT Intercooler, MegaJolt, BMW M3 leather seats.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

On mine I had breather issues that caused smoke. It turned out that my little filter on the catch can had become saturated with oil and would hold just enough pressure to make it smoke. A baffled catch can and rerouted breather setup has solved it.

As for the return it must be downhill. Maybe best to return it into the gearbox?

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

On 27th Nov, 2016 ian2000t said:

- return point is too high for the turbo. Our home made manifold seems to sit the turbo slightly too low to return to the fuel pump blank without it going slightly uphill.

this could well be the entire problem,

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Carlzilla

3673 Posts
Member #: 9300
Post Whore

Quarry Bonk

I don't think there's anywhere else you can fit it without disassembling the engine now, I would have a good look at seeing if you can improve the oil return, failing that, it would be modify the turbo manifolds, less hassle than removing, dissassembling, modifying, reassembling and reinstalling the engine and gearbox.
Failing that, you could fit a scavenging pump and return to a breather hole elsewhere.

Edited by Carlzilla on 27th Nov, 2016.

On 26th Jan, 2012 Tom Fenton said:
ring problems are down to wear or abuse but although annoying it isn't a show stopper

On 5th Aug, 2014 madmk1 said:
Shit the bed! I had snapped the end of my shaft off!!

17.213 @ 71mph, 64bhp n/a (Old Engine)

ian2000t

143 Posts
Advanced Member

Halesowen

As much as I would rather not remove the engine, I'm not scared to.

By returning it to the gearbox, is it possible to do that above the oil level? I assume there are no current places you can tap into without drilling and tapping?

Will have a look at the breathers, see of they're clogged!

1994 Mini Mayfair, 1330, Mspd Ph2 cam, Benross turbo head, 9:1, GT1752, TT Intercooler, MegaJolt, BMW M3 leather seats.

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Simple question..does the turbo have a good, free flowing gravity drain ?

Doesnt matter whether it is high or low as long as you can answer Yes to the above question.

If you were really really really stuck and didnt want to pull the engine or other stuff, you could use a scavenge pump to evacuate oil from the turbo and then return it to the engine. Not really the cheapest or neatest solution on all cases though. Usually only essential for low mount turbos where gravity drain is impossible.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

ian2000t

143 Posts
Advanced Member

Halesowen

Well, it should be able to drain by gravity OK, it is downhill and it's a good size - 19mm. But, it does kink up slightly which would at least hold oil overnight.

I'll check the breathers first, might help.

Had anyone made a breather out of the dizzy blank plug?

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

On 29th Nov, 2016 ian2000t said:
Well, it should be able to drain by gravity OK, it is downhill and it's a good size - 19mm. But, it does kink up slightly which would at least hold oil overnight.

My breather system returns to dizzy 'ole

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

MikeRace

6549 Posts
Member #: 1149
#1 Basshunter Fan

Force Racing ICT Dept Manager Miglia Turbo Am frum Yokshyer tha noes!

I returned my oil to the Speedo Drive hole when I ran a side mount and it never gave me any issues.

1/4 Mile 14.3secs 96Mph Terminal 10psi of boost.

Fibreglass Parts? - http://www.tdkracing.co.uk/
Split Rims? - http://www.force-racing.co.uk/

theoneeyedlizard

7260 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Speedo drive could possibly be done with engine left in too.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

ian2000t

143 Posts
Advanced Member

Halesowen

On 29th Nov, 2016 D4VE said:

On 29th Nov, 2016 ian2000t said:

My breather system returns to dizzy 'ole

Do you have any pictures of how you did it?

ian2000t

143 Posts
Advanced Member

Halesowen

On 30th Nov, 2016 theoneeyedlizard said:
Speedo drive could possibly be done with engine left in too.

Not a bad idea. Would you just use an electronic speed sensor then instead?

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

U can see it in my thread on first page if ya look close... but its as simple as catch can bolted to drivers brace bar, return to dizzy hole, and other to rocker cover and one to just below of intake filter

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

ian2000t

143 Posts
Advanced Member

Halesowen

Quick update:

Breather canisters are now venting straight to air temporarily, and the smoke has reduced massively. Not gone completely, but the inside of the exhaust is coated with oil, which isn't burning off quickly! So, it might just be that I'm seeing now - we'll see.

But, the breathers were definitely a restriction. Basically, we had used the normal breather pipes Tee'd into the 6/8mm pipe that normally connects to the Carb, but connected this straight to the Air filter feed (so it doesn't get pressurised by the Carb/inlet). But, I hadn't considered that there is now nothing putting the breathers under vacuum like there was before, so teh 6/8mm pipe is just a massive restriction.

It's due an oil change this weekend so I'll get that sorted, and use Millers CTV. Then, see how it goes after that.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Double and triple check the oil pressure

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

ian2000t

143 Posts
Advanced Member

Halesowen

Oil pressure is 20psi at idle hot; 40psi at 2000rpm+ hot.

Not to jinx it, but haven't seen any smoke the last few times I've been out. Before, it was constant!

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Oil drain not low enough
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: