Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Non-Mini Discussion > Are montego bits thin on the ground now? UPDATE it lives!.. rehomeing?

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Is there a need of bits?
Is there crazy people like us on a montego forum?
Are bits worth saving?

Heres the story people... my Dad used to chug around in a old diesel montego estate and he was known for it too! Basically being the last siting of a montego round here... and making people wonder how that things still on the road! Well few years back it came off the road for some reason!? And i couldnt let it go to the scrapper so i said shove it on the field at the back of my gaff!! Its slowly returning back to mother nature but i know for a fact it wouldnt have any trouble starting and pulling itself out of its hole! I would of happily let it sit there forever as a garden feature but it may have to go if my place sells...

I still cant see it get taken to the scrapper so its either gonna get sold/stripped for parts if theres a need? Or its gonna be ragged around my sisters field dukes of hazard style and jumped as a send off?

Id like to see bits go off to keep others on the road either way... but i dunno if theres a need?
Anyone?

Edited by D4VE on 9th Oct, 2017.

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Don't know, but the steering columns fit nicely on a mini to get an extra joint. Used in a few kit cars too.

I have many fond memories being in the back of my dad's two-tone (blue over grey) saloon.

Edited by wil_h on 9th Jan, 2017.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

The Maestro and Montego owners club is still on the go.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

On 9th Jan, 2017 wil_h said:
Don't know, but the steering columns fit nicely on a mini to get an extra joint. Used in a few kit cars too.

I have many fond memories being in the back of my dad's two-tone (blue over grey) saloon.

Indeed i did see someones pics on here the other day with a column fitted from one... forgot whos? That shall be kept atleast if it gets stripped

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

That turbo diesel was still one of the best, most efficient engines ever. I can only imagine what it would have been like in the Monty if they'd intercooled it... That really was, a good honest car back in the day.
For some reason, I never found one quite good enough to pull me away from the sierras though.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Yeh still sort after cars. I'm sure there's somone out there that would take it off you for parts. I'd have another one if I could find a turbo diesel for decent money that wasn't rusty as hell. I'm on pug 405s at the moment as they can still be had for decent money in good condition. Had a 1.6 petrol monty for a while but was just too juicy. Otherwise it was bang on!

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I don't know if it's still the case but way back when I got my old Series 3 Land Rover (probably 20 years ago), fitting the Montego TD engine was a popular conversion.
IIRC it's a Perkins engine (not something Leyland cobbled together) and there used to be a couple of companies that did the conversion kits (adapter plates, mounts etc.).

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Back in the day I used to use the T2 from the Montego on the Mini. Used to get them from the scrappy for peanuts.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

was going to say the same thing but I think the disco engine is the one of choice now

On 10th Jan, 2017 Rod S said:
I don't know if it's still the case but way back when I got my old Series 3 Land Rover (probably 20 years ago), fitting the Montego TD engine was a popular conversion.
IIRC it's a Perkins engine (not something Leyland cobbled together) and there used to be a couple of companies that did the conversion kits (adapter plates, mounts etc.).

turning to the car, there are very few left now. I was watching on ebay not that long ago and it went for quite good money - suppose it will depend on condition

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

On 10th Jan, 2017 Rod S said:

Yeah known as the Perkins Prima diesel but it was derived from the the O-series.
A joint cobble job by AR & Perkins. Despite it's origins it is supposed to be a decent lump (for its day)

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Update- my place has been sold now and my dad called the scrappers for the old montego without me knowing! Fate stepped in tho and the scrappys tow truck broke down on the way to collect it! THEN i found out n cancelled it in anger!! So we went to it today and it must of sat there for maybe 5 years?? And it fired up on the first turn of the key n dragged its ass out of its hole! With mice and spiders the size of mice jumping from it!

Now i just gotta find somewhere to store it!

steve1275

849 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

For the record the engine was developed entirely by Perkins, but using castings supplied by Rover, which were a right load of old crap. Also the stillborn diesel version of the V8 was developed in Peterborough.

'Where does the engine go?'

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

From my recollection of the Perkins Prima you could hear them coming from a quarter of a mile away !

steve1275

849 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Even worse from inside David.....

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

On 25th Sep, 2017 tadge44 said:
From my recollection of the Perkins Prima you could hear them coming from a quarter of a mile away !

Welll... funny u say that.. in my head thats what i remembered!? But it sat there purring away n i culdnt hear that over my dads mondeo!! So compared to that n works van n neighbors octavia the montegos a singer sewing machine!!!

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Remember montys were before the acoustic blankets and other junk they put on cars a few years after to reduce the noise. I seem to have a recollection that the ones from the last years of production were notably reduced in the clatter compared to the first years. Not massive; kind of like the difffetence between a 200 and a 300tdi - still very diesely; just less clatter...

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I have a few LRO mags where they covered the iceberg V8s in different levels of detail.
I think the engine would have been great in principle, but one article said the only V8 diesel injection system was indirect, and the same system GM used on their v8 diesels (which you never hear anything good about).
Shame they didn't just use two of the Lucas/Bosch mechanical pumps from the prima on the V8; that would have been odd, but likely made it a success.
Then again, i think it was actually killed as part of the restructuring that meant the old v8 engine line that was going to be used for the diesels became un-available.
Just imagine how different many things would have been if that did make it into production and was a success... then again, that 2.4vm really helped the Italians figure out what didn't work lol...

On 24th Sep, 2017 steve1275 said:
For the record the engine was developed entirely by Perkins, but using castings supplied by Rover, which were a right load of old crap. Also the stillborn diesel version of the V8 was developed in Peterborough.

Edited by TurboDave16V on 25th Sep, 2017.

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

I think another reason the perkins prima engine was so clattery, and so efficient, was that they went with direct injection when everybody else was still using indirect. It did end up getting improved as the later L series diesel was an updated prima montego diesel engine.

steve1275

849 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

The v8 was killed by the then head of Rover less than 12 months before production. The good news is that all the tooling was later used to improve the petrol v8.

nutter driver

969 Posts
Member #: 47
Post Whore

Not very sunny swanage

About 15-20 years ago when they were still common place in scrappys we used to pull the engines out of rusted out wrecks and fit them into a boat a mate of mine had. It wasnt the best conversion to start with and had some teething problems which killed a few engines before we got it all dialed in, but since we used to pay £20 each for them it was no great dramas......

Interestingly (or not) the last engine we fiited, (15 yrs back) is still going strong as far as i know, they were getting killed by oil starvation, which to be honest, should have been fairly obvious to us (even then, although we were pretty inexperienced and succeded in spite of ourselves) since the engine was sitting on an incline in the boat. It was a brilliant conversion, and meant we could run the boat for hours for pennies, compared wiht everyone else who had 5.7l v8 petrols etc...... great fun times!!

And on the 7th day........... God created turbochargers!

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Edited by D4VE on 13th Oct, 2017.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

I love how things always come up trumps for me! N im such a jammy dodger because after trying my best to find a home for the montego before my house went i finally found a place BUT when i take the old thing down to its new resting place i find its gonna be sharing its new place with 2 mk1 coopers, 2 pick up and 2 estates all in a bad way but rust free as theyve recently been imported in... what a find 👍

Home > Non-Mini Discussion > Are montego bits thin on the ground now? UPDATE it lives!.. rehomeing?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: