Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Am I missing something here? (Oil pump)

Will

167 Posts
Member #: 11091
Advanced Member

MPI block
Metro turbo high capacity AP oil pump
And the standard rover gasket set

To me it doesn't look very efficient compared with a standard pump?
Quite abit of gasket overhangs the pumps channel
And as you can see isn't entirely open to the oil galleries?

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

When did you buy it and who from ?

There is a long sad history with the "turbo" pumps that certain suppliers were selling, just search and you will find it.

In all those previous cases the ports in the pump were too large so didn't seal against the block with the standard gasket thus losing prime and pressure.

Is your second photo (of the block face) from the new pump or the one you took out.

I'm guessing the latter.

Put a bit of engineering blue on the pump joint face (no gasket) and rub it around the block face then photo the blue marks on both the pump face and block face.

Ignore the gasket, the holes are plenty large enough, the mating faces between pump and block are far more important and engineering blue will show if you have one of the "fixed" pumps or one of the bad ones.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Will

167 Posts
Advanced Member

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/oil-pump-slot-drive-glp110.html

That's the one I got
All of the pics have the new pump in them, it's just the gasket resting ontop
And the block is the mpi one with cam in situ

Would that liquid gasket stuff be the Answer?
Not sure where I'd get some engineering blue though, any alternative's?

Edited by Will on 10th Jan, 2017.

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

The restriction is in the block tho. As long as the gasket doesn't over hand the holes in the block it won't make any difference.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...tid=581351&fr=0

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 10th Jan, 2017 Will said:

Not sure where I'd get some engineering blue though, any alternative's?

You could try a smear of plain paint of a bright colour that contrasts with the block face and pump face but, TBH, the real stuff is only £5 or less per tin or tube on eBay (search "engineers marking blue") and if you look at all the photos in the thread Rob has linked (starting about two pages down) you will see how usefull the real stuff is.
For peace of mind, with the history these pumps have had, I think £5 is worth it....

EDIT - a minor point but your pump doesn't match the Moss photo in the link you posted - no manufacturers part number on yours. That would make me even more suspicious and wanting to check it with blue.

Edited by Rod S on 11th Jan, 2017.

Will

167 Posts
Advanced Member

Yep
I read through the linked topic and is interesting but may have missed the solution?
What pump are people using? And wouldnt an oil pump that matches the block but isn't turbo specific cope?
Will order some engineering blue, I do have some plastigauge left but may be abit of a waste 😂

Will

167 Posts
Advanced Member

I know it's not engineering blue but my curiosity got the better of me
Using the graphogen building paste this is what I got
A gap starts from about the 4 and finishes by the corner again
Is abit thin on the other side too

Attachments:

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

engineers blue will give a clearer picture but it does look like a similar issue.

Will

167 Posts
Advanced Member

How did yours get resolved?
Thanks

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

the pump was replaced with an evolution one. I believe the turbo pump has now been re-engineered though

Will

167 Posts
Advanced Member

Cheap at 3x the price but if it's saves an engine it's worth it! Can easily lose over £2k in these
Will see if the new one has improved the situation and report back
How did everyone get on with minispares re; replacement?

Edited by Will on 13th Jan, 2017.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

If the pump has been re-engineered, as we are led to believe, then Minispares should have the corrected version.

Ring them and ask for Simon to check.

It could be Moss either aren't aware or just have old stock, I don't suppose they sell as many as Minispares.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

As said above, I think the current turbo pump is fine now so no need for the evolution pump; I got that simply because that's all that was available at the time

Will

167 Posts
Advanced Member

Great service from minispares as usual and are sending out a replacement!
Will do an updated pic re; fitment when it arrives on this and the other thread for people's reference

t3gav

2395 Posts
Member #: 229
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

No prob, I've copied my email reply so others can see the issue, for reference I notice in the other thread someone mentioned MS hadn't commented, I didn't realise that thread existed and the majority of the time the forum will not let me reply to threads or start new ones (comes up with error specify thread ID, Alex tried to fix it years ago but couldn't).

Hi Will, after a lot of head scratching and checking with the supplier we actually found the root cause of this issue lies with the variations in blocks not the pumps themselves. The original drawing was checked and the pumps matched fine, however the manufacturer actually went to Rob Selby pulled a load of blocks and found that it was actually the blocks that varied. Original turbo blocks seem to have no issue oddly. We have since changed the design to fit all blocks so if you have got a pump since March 2016 it should be fine.

Mike-998

882 Posts
Member #: 9774
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

On 13th Jan, 2017 t3gav said:

The original drawing was checked and the pumps matched fine, however the manufacturer actually went to Rob Selby pulled a load of blocks and found that it was actually the blocks that varied. Original turbo blocks seem to have no issue oddly.

How can that be the case? I can't see that there would be more than a 1mm variation in the diameter of the OD of the chamfer on the cam bearing journal (I would think that it would be more like 0.1-2mm at most), and as all the blocks use the same size cam bearing where is the variation occurring?

Even so, surely having a design where there can only ever be less than 1mm of contact area, depending on these block 'variances', in some places is just flawed, especially with a pressurised oil system, and on a critical component like the oil pump? I just can't see how this wasn't spotted before the parts were put into production? Surely when making a part like this you would check that there was sufficient gasket contact area to allow it to work?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...tid=469104&fr=0

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

Gavin

thanks for updating us. In the other thread, I didn't think it was appropriate for MS to comment as there was nothing confirmed at that point.

Noting your comments, I'm surprised that the issue lays with the block as mine was definitely an early turbo block (I pulled it from the car myself), however I've clearly not done the research you have. Simply glad its has cleared up a few issues for people.

Finally, I'd like to thank MS for the attention and response to the issue at the time. Clearly there was a genuine concern and want to resolve the matter

t3gav

2395 Posts
Member #: 229
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

Unfortunately we have used the same supplier many years before I even started my time at MS so can't comment as to why it wasn't checked all those years ago, strange we have sold them for 12 years without an issue until now. The difference was pretty big I recall, Selby was pretty amazed he had never noticed the issue before.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I have to say I'm with Mike-998.

This is not a block issue, the oversized cutouts in the defective pumps virtually overlap the cam bearing.

That space around the cam bearing does not vary from block to block, the only variation being how far the bearing is pressed in, maybe giving 1.5mm extra "safety" if it is pressed in flush with the surface.

I can't believe AR/Leyland relied on that....

The gasket width at that location was simply too small, non-existant in many cases.

It's good to here it's been fixed (waiting for Will to show us a blued one) but it's no excuse for it being wrong in the first place.

Granted you are in the hands of your suppliers to some extent but there should be an onus on you to get what you think you are getting.

Will

167 Posts
Advanced Member

The new pump has the green dot and the old pump has AP and the product code printed on the inside
New pump is abit tight in places but does at least cover the circumference of the camshaft bearing
New pump has the branding on the outside too for identification purposes

Part numbers on the box underneath the minispares sticker is;
A0P1134
L0916

Edited by Will on 14th Jan, 2017.

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

Thanks for the link to the thread . I should be fine , I have the same box etc in the last pic but couldn't tell you if it had the green dot ! I'm pretty sure it didn't have writing inside the pump as I've filled it with some oil and sure I'd of noticed! I think !!

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Am I missing something here? (Oil pump)
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: