Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Introduce Yourself > Gday all, newbie with a moke form oz!

Stonie

2 Posts
Member #: 11504

Gday all, quick intro ive recently purchased 1970 moke 998/ tired/ stock/ struggles with the hills etc.
Im a southern australian lad and live outer suburbs which means within 2 minutes im on 100km/hr roads.
Ive come over from big v8s etc so torque is my usual haunt so a moke is somewhat new to me lol.
I toyed with the idea of building a mild 1100 which im sure with a diff ratio change will most likely manage.
Being this is a budget build and1275's are like poison to buy here im considering either a draw through supercharger or turbo system.
The old sc12 toyota kits are reasonably priced however sourcing the supercharger itself is now problematic.
Im considering a very simple turbo setup, SU draw through/ non intercooled/ low boost etc just to bump up the torque.
Im not looking at spending big bucks on upgrading gearboxes etc.
Any advice from your band of most knowledgeable members would be greatly appreciated

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Welcome.

To go for a simple and reliable system I would use a Garrett gt15 turbo, knock up a tubular manifold to go with it and convert an Hif44 carburettor to blow through set up, using megajolt for the ignition. Simple, relatively cheap and will be nice to drive.

Search through some small bore build threads for inspiration.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Welcome. I would go blow through over suck through any day. A normal HIF carb can be converted if a Turbo one is difficult to source.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Stonie

2 Posts
Member #: 11504

thanks for the replies, If I were to go blow through, would I not have to use a boost referenced fuel reg etc, its not a huge issue to do this just more complicated and costly.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

yep you will need to change the fuel system, you cant run the standard 2-3psi system.

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Welcome

On 15th Jan, 2017 Stonie said:
thanks for the replies, If I were to go blow through, would I not have to use a boost referenced fuel reg etc, its not a huge issue to do this just more complicated and costly.

Yes but the ones designed for pressurised carbs (Metro Turbo and other classics of that era) are still available at reasonable cost (and still available new over here).
Forget anything modern (ie, fuel injection type regulators) as they are rarely adjustable and don't work well at the low pressures needed for a carb.
The main hassle is adding a return line to the tank (the type of regulator you need works by re-circulating excess fuel back to the tank). Probably a lot easier on a Moke than a Mini. And obviously a suitable pump (a small fuel injection one is fine as the regulator dumps the excess pressure).

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Welcome to TM

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

Home > Introduce Yourself > Gday all, newbie with a moke form oz!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: