Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > bk 450 gaskets blowing at opposite ends of the head?

theoneeyedlizard

7262 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Because you could be hiding an underlying issue with CR or timing causing detonation. If you then fit a possibly more robust cometic gasket, you'll then start melting pistons instead of popping gaskets.

You need to check your torque wrench, ignition timing, fuelling and work out your CR.

I'm on 8.6:1 CR with 20psi with a BK450. So the gasket itself shouldn't be your problem.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

Has anybody actually had success using a copper gasket with a boosted A series? I seem to recall them not being up to the job when tried in the past.

Turbo Phil

4620 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Most folk don't have any issue with the BK450. Unless you've had one of the dodgy batch, it's not a gasket issue.
As I said in my first post 55ft/lb with ARP studs is excessive. You will possibly distort the block around the studs and you will distort the gasket by crushing the fire ring.
Also bear in mind what others have said, are there any signs of det ? If so what's your maximum ignition advance, was the fuelling correct, what's your compression ratio and charge temps ?

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

If Jimster is throwing 30psi down its neck at 260+ hp on a BK450 with extra holes punched in to it, there is not much wrong with the gasket really !

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Rammie2000

1750 Posts
Member #: 10190
Post Whore

belgium

oil on the gasket? i tought it needed to be as dry and clean as possible ( sorry to hack the post)

you can do anything if you set your mind to it...
i rather blow it up winning than keep it together losing.

finish date set for project 1... march 2018

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

I don't think the BK450 is your issue.

Confirm your compression ratio, if suitable reassemble to the correct torque.

Get your ignition timing correct.

Try running at 4psi first of all.
What boost level are you trying to run it at?

I think you have an underlying issue and throwing money at alternative head gaskets will not fix it.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

To answer the question about other gaskets. I use the AF460 gasket on mine (because the center fillet on the BK450 damages my alloy head).

Anyway I run 20 psi and it's not an issue. The BK450 is better than the AF460. So I concure with all the above, it not a gasket issue.

Although remember I use 11 studs. My gasket never failed like yours, it failed over a much longer period of time and the extra clamping of the outer studs cured it.

Edited by wil_h on 27th Apr, 2017.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

i only use 9 studs *frown* seems to work though *smiley*

Edited by robert on 27th Apr, 2017.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

cooperman1275

38 Posts
Member #: 11095

mold north wales

Ok I hear the voices loud and clear may be I am not cut out to build a turbo motor even if it is to standard spec, if all else fails I will have to go back to N/A
cheers
Roy

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

On 27th Apr, 2017 cooperman1275 said:
Ok I hear the voices loud and clear may be I am not cut out to build a turbo motor even if it is to standard spec, if all else fails I will have to go back to N/A
cheers
Roy

Why? People have told you what to check. Get on and get them checked.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

cooperman1275

38 Posts

mold north wales

AP I get what your saying mate but I have been pissing about with problem after problem building this car particularly with the engine /box/tunning its fought me all the way to the dyno.
After building minis at home for many years I decided that I was going turbo, so after this car landed
on my drive through circumstance I took it on BIG MISTAKE! its done more miles on the dyno than on the road.
I thought that rebuilding and setting up a turbo motor would be no more difficult than an n/a car
HOW WRONG WAS I but I have learnt a lot doing it
So ,as they say in Yorkshire, pull thee sen together get thees ass into gear and sort it out , thees acting like a lass lad is that the message AP?
cheers
Roy
ps how much are your butt plugs?

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

don't give up! think of the sense of achievement when you work it out and get it sorted. Took me a while to sort out niggles with mine (and a 15yr build!) but would struggle with an NA engine now.

get the compression ratio worked out as has been mentioned on more than one occasion and start from there. I don't think there is anything we haven't been able to work out on the forum other than Andy's desire for a supercharger

cooperman1275

38 Posts

mold north wales

Thanks Rob
cheers
Roy

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

It shall all be worth it once this niggle is sorted! Believe me! And since mines been off the road after its crash a year ago ive been running around in a n/a mini n as much as i love that one HELL do i miss boost!!

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

apbellamy

16540 Posts
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

My car took 7 years and has done 60 miles in the 2 years since.

i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I've done 300 miles in 3 years...

On 27th Apr, 2017 apbellamy said:
My car took 7 years and has done 60 miles in the 2 years since.

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

i'm very similar Jay. First year cost me £2/ mile just in tax and insurance

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Mate, have a look of my build page to see how much crap I went through, and it all came down to the CR being out.

Cost me..
two sets of pistons
A head
About 10 head gaskets
Some valves along the way

But with the help of people on here I got it sorted.

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

cooperman1275

38 Posts

mold north wales

Guys
Thanks for the reassurance but you get to a point with certain cars where you think why did I bother
I have a 73 bogo standard 850 van which I absolutely love puts a smile on my face every time I see it
and is a joy to drive , but the turbo , as yet, has not achieved that status and has a long way to go
Will keep you posted
cheers
Roy

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

I think we need to get you a drive in a turbo car then. That should give you a bit of encouragement!

get it back to basics and post up what you have. What work if anything has been done to the head? do you know the chamber size?

apbellamy

16540 Posts

On 28th Apr, 2017 Rob Gavin said:
I think we need to get you a drive in a turbo car then. That should give you a bit of encouragement!

we'd need to see some pictures of his sister first though.

*hehe!*

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

I've not really seen past half throttle, with a run-in map in the ECU and on medium boost but 5 minutes of driving that was enough to spur me to fight on!

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Through my ignorance and with the help and encouragement of many people on here I took almost two years to get my turbo running right. In that time I blew one piston, one gearbox and a diff,snapped a timing chain as well as setting the car on fire briefly.
Since then I have done almost 20k and it always brings a smile to my face when I hit boost. Keep going, it will be worth it.

cooperman1275

38 Posts

mold north wales

Well since fitting a cometic gasket and a set of ARP head studs the car is running perfect no issues
I have been running 45 miles a day to work and back home with a big grin on my face and over 500 miles on the car.
I must admit that when at idle in a long queue the engine temperature rise but I have a secondary electric fan that I switch on to cool her down so some work to do here intercooler?
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions but I think I have proved the cars reliability enough to be a daily driver
thanks
Roy

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

Glad got a solution

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > bk 450 gaskets blowing at opposite ends of the head?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: