Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > 2884 new topics

nutter driver

969 Posts
Member #: 47
Post Whore

Not very sunny swanage

2884, that's how many new topics it says there are..... It would seem that it's a while since I last logged on!!

Back in the day, about 2004, I decided that I really ought to replace the rotten floor plan, so took the car off the road....... That snowballed like so many projects do, and I ended up with the car completely stripped, loads of new panels, a roll cage and a metro turbo engine.

Engine is a bit of a miss mash, essentially a standard turbo engine, but with a t2 from a montego turbo diesel on a set of homemade adaptor plates meaning that I could use a standard metro turbo manifold and downpipe. Cylinder head was cut by me, I remember that I did a really good job, but I suspect that may not be entirely true, at some point I'll pull it and have a look. I do remember that I was trying to get the comp ratio down a fair it, and spent a long time making sure that all the chambers were matched. Runs mega jolt lite jr ignition, using ford edis module and coil pack, although I never got as far as actually setting it all up properly, so it was just running in the edis map. Fuel pump and fpr were taken from a Renault 5 turbo that a mate was breaking at the time as I never had the metro stuff. Sierra cosworth inter cooler (2wd I think, although I have/had both a some point).

Sometime around 2008, I bought a house, and chucked the mini in a shipping container for a month or so whilst I sorted the house out. Somehow that ended up taking me until Thursday last week when I thought it was about time it saw the light of day again. Battery was flat and the fuel pump didn't want to play, but a set of jump leads and a borrowed fuel pump saw it start up for the first time in the better part of a decade. Unfortunately, the clutch was seized and the brakes non existent, which meant i had to push it into the garage where it currently sits.

Planning on sorting it all out in the near future, starting soonish, so thought I'd do a bit of reading to try and reacquaint myself with a few bits. Expect I'll have some questions, but I do know how to use the search button first, so hopefully won't ask anything too daft!!

And on the 7th day........... God created turbochargers!

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Good to see you back.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

theoneeyedlizard

7261 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Welcome back!

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

I wouldn't bother reading them all, not a lot has happened.
Super Adam was probably the highlight

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

Welcome back!

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

On 22nd May, 2017 Nic said:

Super Adam was probably the highlight

That and Turbo Phil's sister

nutter driver

969 Posts
Member #: 47
Post Whore

Not very sunny swanage

Lol! Cheers guys, nice to see some familiar names!

I've had a little play with the car already, established the the clutch slave was junk, so a new one is on its way. Taken carb off after establishing that the reason it stopped running was lack of fuel only to find that the bottom of the float bowl was full of treacle like mess..... Now I'm certain that I bought a rebuild kit and stashed it somewhere safe, so I'll locate that and dull a full strip,and rebuild. Was looking at the pictures in the FAQ of the carb connections, and noted that a couple of them need blanking. Do people normally drill and tap these and fit proper blanking plugs/grub screws, or some other method?? Was thinking I should do it all in one go really.....

Also been looking at ordering a few bits to finish the roll cage off, and arranged to have the shell properly blast cleaned when I'm ready to start work on it properly.....

And on the 7th day........... God created turbochargers!

Shauna

1043 Posts
Member #: 10424
Post Whore

Swansea boyo!

Welcome back! There's me thinking 486 new topics since I last logged in was impressive! Much for the same reason, we bought a house back in January, minis been tucked in the garage apart from a few occasions since but I took him to work today, loved it and though christ I need to get myself into gear for the TM day in Sept!

They don't die, they just get faster!

Home > General Chat > 2884 new topics
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: