Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Mini gearboxs

uk boy

32 Posts
Member #: 10074

new Zealand

Hi guys... quick question what gearboxs are you using under your turbocharged minis?? And what power are you making??

Trying to decide what to do with my gearbox...
Thanks in advance 😀

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

On my road car, running 10psi and making at a guess 110 it's totally standard. Up to 130 bananas I be happy to keep it standard.

On my race car making over 180 I run the Minispares ST SCCR set. Never stripped a gear, but eaten may baulk rings!

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

generally people are mostly running the minispares clubman kit, and putting lots of oompf through it, certainly it will take 200 brake reliable as long as its built right.

as Will i use the ST abbingdon kit, which is pretty much the same but it includes a new 1st gear rather than reusing the std one as per the clubman kit, it might be slightly stronger or the same... i use it because Im ion a remote box so have to.

apart from that theres not really any stronger options, unless you go to a dog kit, bit then your looking at closer ratios so its not as nice on the road.

there is a new minispares helical kit which has wider gears thats meant to be stronger, but TBH whats the bearing side loading going to be...

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

uk boy

32 Posts

new Zealand

Thanks for your replys guys... I only have a factory 1275 gearbox I don't have a factory turbo box will this be a problem. Or will mine be ok?? Il have a look at the clubman kit now

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

The turbo box was just a standard box, nothing special.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

uk boy

32 Posts

new Zealand

I see ,that I didn't know.... not many turbo here in nz so not much info on turbo engines /boxes unless reading in a magazine..... I'm hoping for around the 120-140hp Mark so maybe itl be ok with a factory box then...just saw that clubman kit that seems ok.. So do you guys use just the standard diffs as Well??

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

No, an uprated diff with the turbo torque is pretty much essential. The standard diff can give problems in a normally aspirated 1275. The 4 pinion diff a good starting point.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

uk boy

32 Posts

new Zealand

Maybe for a start if I use a standard gearbox with a 4 pin diff?

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

I've managed to destroy a standard box with mine running perhaps 130bhp. I'm now running SC box with 4 pin diff however using helical drop gears

Edited by Rob Gavin on 20th Jun, 2017.

uk boy

32 Posts

new Zealand

Just trying to get people's opinions on what to do...

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Apart from the internals, if you haven't already (and assuming we're talking rod change boxes), try and source the later DAM5626 casing, not the early DAM2886.

The early ones with a four bolt 3rd motion shaft retainer plate have a habit of cracking around the bearing, so much so that, even for the standard engine, Leyland/Rover thickened the casting over the top of the bearing and deleted one of the bolts (the steel plate still has four holes but the casting only three).

And, as the others say, definitely a cross pin diff.

Otherwise I'm on helical gears but the early "A" sets in both my boxes, they have a shallower helix angle so are theoretically slightly stronger than the A plus ones.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

gdouglas

9 Posts
Member #: 11577

I went with Minispares ST SCCR also and so far I have no issues with it.

hpal

5 Posts
Member #: 12060

If you are in NZ probably not many A+ boxes there, I'm in Australia and building a turbo 1275 but I've got an earlier rod change box, not a+, do people reckon I'll be right with jus a moderate increase in power on the standard pre a+ rod change, but with a cross pin diff? I'm probably thinking 120hp but that's just a guess.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Mini gearboxs
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: