Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Introduce Yourself > SU limitation

Gpametroturbo

1 Posts
Member #: 11572

By intro I race a GPA metro Turbo (computervision) and have problems with power delivery on anything that is not full throttle or on boost above 5000 rpm. I am thinking that the dash pot that lifts as a vacuum is created by Venturi effect is reacting unpredictably as the airspeed goes up to way beyond that designed. At 250+ Bhp (1.5bar) the airspeed through the carb could require a rethink of the jet bridge and Venturi holes under the dash pot piston. Is the airspeed under the piston drawing it and the needle down more than the vacuum is pulling the piston up? I will try to rig a simulator so we can phisicaly see what's happening but have any members come up with a solution already?

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

well, i'd start here...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SU-HIF7-Pair-Of-...pIAAOSwq1JZLa~f

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

The air speed is no higher than N/A with blow through, just the air density is higher.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

Have you tried a stronger spring in the dashpot, as used on the Maestro and Montego turbo? People have had them running over a bar boost still using the single SU on a 2 litre engine.

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

you need a stronger spring or springs, to make sure the needle doesnt rise to its maximum station before maximum air flow (not boost) is reached

data log the needles position and alot of things will become clear

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I doubt you're reaching the limit of the carb. More likely, you have a setup issue.

One of the USA based members spent a long time looking at needle profiles and the position of the dashpot piston for different load sites. Made for very interesting reading, but I can't recall the topic title or the guys username...

Have you got a wideband to determine your fueling or are you guessing that you need to modify the carb? My experience is that the stock carb and plenum restrictor is basically as perfect as you'll get ( except for the poppet butterfly valve). The engineers didn't arrive at that by pure luck.

Edited by TurboDave16V on 31st May, 2017.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

On 31st May, 2017 TurboDave16V said:
I doubt you're reaching the limit of the carb. More likely, you have a setup issue.

One of the USA based members spent a long time looking at needle profiles and the position of the dashpot piston for different load sites. Made for very interesting reading, but I can't recall the topic title or the guys username...

Have you got a wideband to determine your fueling or are you guessing that you need to modify the carb? My experience is that the stock carb and plenum restrictor is basically as perfect as you'll get ( except for the poppet butterfly valve). The engineers didn't arrive at that by pure luck.

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=159683

Evoderby

224 Posts
Member #: 9987

Amsterdam

I doubt you're reaching the limit of the carb. More likely, you have a setup issue. My experience is that the stock carb and plenum restrictor is basically as perfect as you'll get ( except for the poppet butterfly valve). The engineers didn't arrive at that by pure luck.

Interestingly enough I noticed that the Grp A turbo running on swiftune's dyno recently doesn't use a plenum but had a boost pipe running straight into the carb's mouth.

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 31st May, 2017 Gpametroturbo said:
By intro I race a GPA metro Turbo (computervision) and have problems with power delivery on anything that is not full throttle or on boost above 5000 rpm. I am thinking that the dash pot that lifts as a vacuum is created by Venturi effect is reacting unpredictably as the airspeed goes up to way beyond that designed. At 250+ Bhp (1.5bar) the airspeed through the carb could require a rethink of the jet bridge and Venturi holes under the dash pot piston. Is the airspeed under the piston drawing it and the needle down more than the vacuum is pulling the piston up? I will try to rig a simulator so we can phisicaly see what's happening but have any members come up with a solution already?

So why not explain your problem ? Your setup ?

And what power do you believe you have, or want to have ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 1st Jun, 2017 Evoderby said:

I doubt you're reaching the limit of the carb. More likely, you have a setup issue. My experience is that the stock carb and plenum restrictor is basically as perfect as you'll get ( except for the poppet butterfly valve). The engineers didn't arrive at that by pure luck.

Interestingly enough I noticed that the Grp A turbo running on swiftune's dyno recently doesn't use a plenum but had a boost pipe running straight into the carb's mouth.

Running without the OEM plenum is with hindsight what caused me most of my problems some 20+ years ago when I ran mine.
Back then I never fully appreciated what the restrictor/straight inlet section was for.

I ran open plenum to enable IC fitment etc and it did take ages working with the carb to get it all to work well. It was never perfect, but it was pretty good. Havent a clue what AFR's etc were, as no such thing as widebands etc back then, but I drove it daily for a few years and could run 25psi without issue ( well other than expected clutch/gearbox/HG related problems )

So as others say, the chances of being at the limits of the carb here, are very unlikely. And I'm near sure some guys with the Maestro's or Montego's still ran a single carb near 300hp too ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

fab

1497 Posts
Member #: 100
Parisien Turbo Expert

Paris\' suburb

Hello, to start 250 bhp+.. mega lol , bref.
your trouble seem to be associated by a bad carb set up as stated by members.
Start from a stronger spring ( you should have a green one to began) and needle then the advance curve can play a bit when this is right you can look at pitot tube to get rid of plenum restrictor but leave alone carb bridge and venturi hole.
SU can look like a bike carb but it's not teh effect on venturi holeis here compensated by dashpot spring so u fine tune the level of travel/by de-pressure with this

Home > Introduce Yourself > SU limitation
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: