Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Off topic/non-mini help- the mrs' polo (again)

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

The mrs' polo again... (the one she wont let die as shes really attached to it)

Its a 2001 polo 1.0 mpi.. i noticed the other month alot of oil in the airbox n realised it was spitting oil out of the 2 breathers into the airbox so i disconnected them from the airbox so it wasnt swallowing oil, put a little universal breather on one and put the other into a bottle cable tied down the side (bodge catch can) this was fine like this up til now... where its spitting alot of oil out!!!! I had read that these engines can get clogged up so become heavy breathers??? But its filled this little bottle up within a week now *oh well*

Thanks in advance

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Little breather clogged with oil putting more pressure out the other one?

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

The breather with the universal filter is fine, the little one coming off the top of the cam/rocker cover is where all the oils coming from..

Some people saying that an oil drain can block so oil in there is blown out? Some saying rings are fried so pushing back air thru the cover?
Not sure about these responses tho *oh well*

shane

2618 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Have you done a compression test?
Could the crankcase be pressurising due to worn rings?
Head gasket letting go?
Or something stupid like overfilled with oil?

Shane

Edited by shane on 14th Jun, 2017.

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

You blown through it?

I've had trouble before those breather filters need cleaning regularly.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Shane- long time no speak (on here)
I will do compression tst but problem is its always in use to ever have any time to actually sort nowt, i am thinking rings are probably fucked as it did eat a plug a while back.. its defo not too much oil as its always needing oil because it throws it out

Jonny- this breather that the oils coming through is a tiny metal tube off the cam/rocker then to a pipe, the pipe isnt blocked and the metal tube is clear to see through

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Due to a lack of a mini I've not had much reason to post for the last (cough) 7 years, I have been drifting in and out for a while tho. I may start a build thread one day as I've been a busy boy lately.

If you do a compression test and find one of the bores is a lower pressure remove the plug and add a squirt of oil, repeat the test, if you see a rise in pressure it would suggest the rings.
If you need a tester i have one if you haven't got access to one.

Is there a breather block/manifold attached to the engine which is gummed up?
Have you blown down the hoses to see if there is a restriction?

Shane

On 14th Jun, 2017 D4VE said:
I will do compression tst but problem is its always in use to ever have any time to actually sort nowt, i am thinking rings are probably fucked as it did eat a plug a while back.. its defo not too much oil as its always needing oil because it throws it out

Jonny- this breather that the oils coming through is a tiny metal tube off the cam/rocker then to a pipe, the pipe isnt blocked and the metal tube is clear to see through
*Clapping*

shane

2618 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Due to a lack of a mini I've not had much reason to post for the last (cough) 7 years, I have been drifting in and out for a while tho. I may start a build thread one day as I've been a busy boy lately.

If you do a compression test and find one of the bores is a lower pressure remove the plug and add a squirt of oil, repeat the test, if you see a rise in pressure it would suggest the rings.
If you need a tester i have one if you haven't got access to one.

Is there a breather block/manifold attached to the engine which is gummed up?
Have you blown down the hoses to see if there is a restriction?

Shane

On 14th Jun, 2017 D4VE said:

*Clapping*

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Awesome look forward to seeing it done!

Thanks but loz is gonna lend me his, i shall do the check, and ive read up that there is a 'splitter' style filter for gases that could be blocked (sorry jonny if this is what you were refering to?) I shall try clear this out

BUT ive kind of stepped back n thought hang on?? Ive took these pipes off the airbox to stop oil getting in there but this one all the oil is coming out of.. well of course it will?!! If ya left the oil cap off n went for a drive theyd be oil everywhere!? So why would i think differently for this pipe of the same area.. yes ok maybe not loads of oil but apparently theres a one way valve in the box that can get stuck (hence the problem to start with) so ive just purchased a universal one way valve with same bore size as the pipe n ill give that a go..

jonny f

2091 Posts
Post Whore

Dorking

Not what i'm saying.
I'm saying blow through the little filter you have fitted to the other one. All the time its breathing it will slowly clog the filter with oil.
When those filters are saturated, it will be blocked and blow everything out the one you are saying is breathing heavily.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Off topic/non-mini help- the mrs' polo (again)
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: