Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Another oil/water temp question

scott the joiner

461 Posts
Member #: 9229

newcastle upon tyne

Evening guys just been out in my metro turbo today & tonight doing some map adjustments with a mix of driving eg.hard & cruising I've got my oil temp gauge sensor in a sandwich plate between the filter & filter head I am getting readings of 120° bit to high for my liking no cooler fitted at present. I've got a 3core custom rad & it sits smaller in hight than the standard rad as my intercooler up top where the grill would be it's reading a little warm on the std gauge between half way & 3/4 my question is if I fit an oil cooler & bring them temps down do you think in will help bring my water temp down a little also? Thanks Scott

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

I would have thought bringing the oil temp down is going to reduce your water temp as well

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

where did you get the sandwich plate for the oil temp gauge? I'm wanting to fit one to mine to monitor too

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

I've run my Metro with the standard oil cooler, the MG Metro Modine oil cooler, and no oil cooler. None of them changed my water temp and it always sits below halfway when moving. I'll be going back to an oil cooler rad, as my oil temp in the sump was creeping up to 120 when cruising on the motorway in summer conditions.

burcy35

177 Posts
Member #: 10990
Advanced Member

Hornsea

When I was at mallory Friday it was a very warm day and I was struggling with the oil temp getting too hot at 118. But my water temperature didn't go above 80. But because I run a front mount low down on my clubby I have fitted a front spoiler or scoop some may say which has stopped the airflow under the car so no cool air is passing the gearbox and I have a big oil cooler fitted where my side mount was. But I do need to duct the oil cooler to make it more effective.
But apart from that it was a great day and a superb track and the minis certainly supprissed a few.

scott the joiner

461 Posts
Member #: 9229

newcastle upon tyne

I got the sandwich plate off me brother sure he just ordered from eBay. I mite try an oil cooler to bring that under control & if my water temp drops a little I will be ok if not I mite have to drill a couple holes in the bumper to get more air flow through even tho I didn't want to really or take the bumper off completely on the plus side tho my intake temp are great around 30° even in this hot weather

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

I went for the smallest mocal cooler which is great for the motorway and general diving. The track can see the oil temp creep up and normally stops the fun and millers didn't recommend breaching 110, so looking back I would have installed a larger cooler that I would then block part of it off on the road, I do use an oil stat.

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

JT

2742 Posts
Member #: 637
Post Whore

Hertfordshire

Rob Somerford minis sell a sandwich plate for oil temp gauge

My build thread..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=542985

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

and it also allows you to then fit the mocal stat sandwich plate *wink*

It does mean that I have to run the mpi style small filter, I just change it more.

Edited by gr4h4m on 19th Jun, 2017.

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

JT

2742 Posts
Member #: 637
Post Whore

Hertfordshire

Yes I use a smaller filter as it's too close to the subframe

My build thread..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=542985

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Another oil/water temp question
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: