Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Brake Pedal not fully 'returning'

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

The car is an 89 with servo and 8.4" disk brakes. All in reasonable condition. Rears are properly adjusted.

The car stops well enough, but the pedal doesn't return fully leaving the brakes slightly engaged.

If you lift the pedal about 1/2" it releases and is fine until the pedal is next pressed. Haven't driven it far, but it stops well at low speed.

The pedal feels like it is binding somewhere, so potentially the pin and bush in the pedal box. The clevis pin from the pedal was missing it's nylon bush leaving a load of slop, I've replaced that but it hasn't sorted the issue.

Has anyone any suggestions? I'm going to pull the pin out of the pedal box and inspect tomorrow if it is a bit cooler. MOT is booked for Saturday...

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Is the nut too tight on the pedal box crushing the clutch and brake together at the pivot point?

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

apbellamy

16540 Posts
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Fair point, will look at that tomorrow.

i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

I had this on the turbo. replacing the master cylinder sorted it in the end but could never work out why

apbellamy

16540 Posts

I was leaning towards that too. It's been sat for a few years so potentially a rusty bore.

More expense. Joy..

*hehe!*

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

the bit that through me though was that the pedal and mech should have returned even if the MC hadn't as they are not mechanically connected.

I used to have to put my foot under the pedal to lift it back and there was a noticeable 'click' or 'clunk' when it released suggesting it was catching on something

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

is the return spring ok ?

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

apbellamy

16540 Posts

That's exactly what I'm getting rob. Will check the pedal box and likely order a mc tonight. I reckon it has rusted in the bore whilst it ha been sat.

Steveie - it holds the pedal once you've manually lifted it.

*hehe!*

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

is the spring on the mechanism in the engine bay?

I got my master cylinder from Euro car parts of all places

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Never seen one in the engine bay. Any pictures?

*hehe!*

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Found the spring...

Pulled the cylinder off the servo, no change.

Pulled both clevis pins, no change.

Pulled the bell crank lever out. 2-3mm of play in the shaft and bushes. Servo rod returns as it should. Pedal still notchy....

Ordered pins and bushes for the bell crank and pedals plus the pedal spring. Hopefully can send some of it back...

*hehe!*

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

I'm sure mine has a spring on he bellcrank onto the bulkhead; i'll send you a photo

apbellamy

16540 Posts

I found the spring on mine. It's hidden from view with the bell crank fitted.

*hehe!*

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Found it. Took two hours of fucking about to get this free. As soon as I undid the nut the pedal seized to pin....

Brakes work as they should now, which is nice.

*hehe!*

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Brake Pedal not fully 'returning'
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: