Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > Supercharger inspection help!

RobMini77

2 Posts
Member #: 11600

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and forced induction. Looking at purchasing a Eaton M45 from a new mini. I managed to get a jonspeed kit for cheap so now I just need a supercharger.

Found this one for £100, which seems super cheap atm. (They're £200+ on ebay). However I'm worried about the blade damage. Whats everyone's thoughts on it?

I'm picking it up this weekend, so I'd love your advice before I go.

Cheers,
Rob

Attachments:

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

welcome to TM

im not sure you will get much love for superchargers on here if im honest

but i look at it like this,
for £100 you can get a damaged supercharger?
for £200 you can get a good working?
whats an extra £100,
if the extra £100 is an issue i would re evaluate your budget because i can guarantee there will be bits you need that you have not even thought about that total more than £100

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

I see your point Brett, but you could easily get a fooked SC for £200.

I know nothing about the tip condition of SCs, they look ok to me.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

These are notorious for the rota coating coming off with fuel going through. I don't run an eaton but the look ok I had some score marks on my sc12 where they meet, but I guess when you think about it, it will have some liquid in there and not just air, should help seal them up😀

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

yeah i agree, i dont know how to spot a good or bad one either, i think £200 for a good supercharger is cheap anyway, i did not know they was available for that sort of money

On 3rd Aug, 2017 wil_h said:
I see your point Brett, but you could easily get a fooked SC for £200.

I know nothing about the tip condition of SCs, they look ok to me.

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

RobMini77

2 Posts
Member #: 11600

Thanks everyone!! I should of confirmed the £200 units on eBay have 80000+ miles on them and have no guarantee. The low mileage examples are £350+

Also in terms of parts need, I have the inlet manifold, carb pipe and the decompression plate. So all I need now is:
- new engine studs
- lower pulley for belt
- gaskets & other small items.

By the looks of it, I think it's going to have cost around £300 all in to supercharge my 1275. Not bad I though. As it's low boost and progressive, I can also run standard bottom end without any problems, apparently :)

Thanks again for your input. Let me know if I've missed anything or if you know any other forums for FI minis !!

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

i would assume the rotor tips have contacted the housing due to worn bearings or a bit of dirt/grit has gone in there to create marks like that

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

That SC looks ok to me. I've seen a hell of a lot worse.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Another vote for it being fine.. Or at least as good as you will find. Even the low milage ones you used to get off the early Cooper conversions where the blower had literally run no miles had scoring on them.

300quid is very optimistic tho. You may get the thing bolted on for that but that's the easy bit! You have to think about the ignition timing for one. Then you have to have it set up.. The Jonspeed kit is also shite so you will probably end up binning parts to get it to stop icing the carb up and that sort of thing.

Home > Technical Chat > Supercharger inspection help!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: