Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > Let's discuss breather systems...

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 25th Sep, 2017 TurboDave16V said:
Folks normally just drain and dump the catch tank fluids. If you did insist on returning them to the engine (why not if it is indeed clean oil - verify first) you'd need to put a ball valve or similar on the drain, opening it when you put the mini in the garage at the end of the day, and closing it before you next start it up. Otherwise, it's a almost a closed system, and no oil will drain to the sump with the engine running...
I guess you could put a solenoid valve on it, but you'd need a huge flow (large port) to effectively dump it.

On 25th Sep, 2017 Rammie2000 said:
So if i read all this correct. A good catch tank with steel wool in it with the top above the valve cover and a return to the sumpplug ( with a banjo fitting sandwich between a lengthened plug) and a breather on dizzy hole and fuelpump hole ( since in my example the breather hole from the clutch housing is taken for the oil retutn of the turbo) would be an ideal set up. ??

Gravity will ensure oil can return even while the engine is running, and when the oil return is below the level of oil, that is effectively a vale of sorts to prevent crankcase pressure blowing up that line

Even if this return was above the level of oil, oil will still have time to return without too much difficulty. You arent on the throttle all the time, and oil is still fairly heavy so it can still return ok. Worst case that it doesnt when running...it will again when you shut it down.

But for keeping smells away, routing the final breather into the inlet tract somewhere should take care of that.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Yeah, good point about the drain being in the oil hence acting like a valve, but it'll still have pressure on it which will ( I believe) reduce the velocity of the air in the breather line and reduce the ability for the air/oil mist to separate.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

The oil blocks any pressure from that side. There will..should never be enough crankcase pressure to blow oil up a pipe.

If there is, you have bigger things to worry about ! lol

It's a proven system, it works.

For convenience many have returned above the oil but it is less than ideal. Old simple fit Cossie stuff used to do that as there was a hole in the block that could be used easily.

it just means oil is a little less likely to return whilst the engine is running as you say there will also be crankcase pressure on the base of the can too.

I wouldnt be putting any valves in the line though. Let simple things like gravity do the work.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Home > Technical Chat > Let's discuss breather systems...
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: