Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Solid front subframe mounts

chris_evans

7 Posts
Member #: 11459

Cumbria

Morning all,

I am currently rebuilding my mini and decided to go turbo after the new paint was done. I have been thinking about solid front subframe mounts, as a lot of people on here seem to use them. Are they considered a necessity for turbo minis? Do most people run full solid mounts, or a mixture?

The downside of fitting them for me is that I haven't strengthened the toe board at the lower mounting position prior to painting. Has anyone ever just bolted them through a large spreader plate without welding it in place? Obviously, I don't want to be driving along at some point watching a fatigue crack slowly growing through my floor lol.

Cheers,
Chris

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Even the standard rubber subframe mounts eventually cause fatigue cracks, but the solid mounts do it more quickly.

They're not necessary, but do stiffen it all up.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Depends also on if u have std or removeable etc?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

chris_evans

7 Posts
Member #: 11459

Cumbria

Cheers for the replies guys.

I have a standard front end Dave. I imagine upper and lower mounts should be solid, as the flex in rubber upper mounts would transfer the stress to the lower mounts and the floor.

I am currently considering welding some plates in, as I imagine the plates only make a difference if they can't move over the toe board. I am just a bit peeved that I didn't think of it before I had the respray done. But I should be able to blow it over with a rattle can internally.

Cheers,
Chris

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Solid front subframe mounts
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: