Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Davies Craig EWP installation.

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Morning all,

I appreciate the Davies unit isn’t everybody’s choice and if I was to buy again possibly not mine either but funds dictate using it currently.
I’ve spent too many hours recently procrastinating over mounting my Ewp, just wondering what positions you guys who have used them have them mounted in as space is a premium for me.
The instructions suggest any orientation of the pump is fine post priming?
Has anyone had issues with the inlet to the pump being higher the than the radiator bottom hose?
I stumbled across a thread when searching something else of one mounted / plumbed into the core plug @ no4 end but cant find it again.
Any pics and words of wisdom greatly received.
Thanks in advance.
Shane.

burcy35

177 Posts
Member #: 10990
Advanced Member

Hornsea

Hi Shane,
I have a davies pump which i am very happy with. I have mine mounted under my headlamp in the inner wheel arch (clubby).
Its about the same height as the bottom of the rad. Providing there is no air lock in the pump i dont see a problem in mounting in a different position. I have the pump on the nearside, it takes the coolant from the bottom of the rad then fires it into where the manual pump was fitted. It worked fine with a side mount rad and now i have a front mount rad it works even better. Hope this is of some help.
Roy B

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

My proposed mounting point is above the N/S engine mount bracket close to the subframe tower (previously where the side mount rad’ outlet lived) with the inlet facing forward and outlet upward.
The pump inlet and radiator outlet are approximately 30mm (between centres) out of line vertically with the pump being higher. I was hoping the get the pump lower than the outlet or at least in line but a number of factors are prohibiting this.
I’m thinking this should be ok as it gives me the provision to tilt the pump to prime and still retains sufficient head of water in the rad’ when filling to flood the pump avoid air locks.
I made a cardboard mock up of the mezeire 136 pump this afternoon to see if I could improve things but it’s also quite a cumbersome beast.
Thanks
Shane

JT

2742 Posts
Member #: 637
Post Whore

Hertfordshire

I have a mezere pump fitted like so...

It works fine with my old minispares 2 core rad. Plus I have a scooter rad fitted aswell.
The turbo is plumbed in also, which I think puts alot of hest into the system.

Just realised that this was my first attempt. How it was last was plumbed up was slightly different with only one 8mm branch out of the cooper manifold. Which feeds the scooter rad, then from scooter rad to turbo.
I also fitted a bleed valve to the copper manifold to help perge air out of thst side of the system.

Edited by JT on 12th Oct, 2017.

My build thread..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=542985

clbm4n

62 Posts
Member #: 11458
Advanced Member

Melbourne Australia ... not a convict

I run a DC ewp80, 11in fan and the controller. it's been on the road for 1 month and it seems to do pretty well .....stuck in heavy traffic on the way home from work it runs 80 deg-ish on a 20 deg day with the base temp set at 77 deg. if the traffic is heavy I can wind the base temp down to bring on the fan/ewp earlier and on the 5 -10 deg run to work it reaches 78 deg on most runs. mime is plumbed out of the rear of the block from a core plug and into the rear of the head. I've had no problems with priming the pump or having it sit up higher than the bottom hose nor a worry with having warmed water run through it from the block .....

Attachments:

1977 Leyland mini Sunshine -- moleseted -- Named " Ray" becoming a 7 port efi slowly
1971 Nota Fang 145 bhp 5 port fun @ 450 kg
1969 Austin 1800 ute, 1800S running gear, tip rat and hardware store runner

shane

2619 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Many thanks for the reply’s,
I think I have a solution sorted.
Regards
Shane

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Davies Craig EWP installation.
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: