Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Turbo x16xe

Pistonmad

3 Posts
Member #: 11641

Hi I've built my 1.6 16v Vauxhall powered mini and I am very happy with it but I think a finished project is a boring project so I'm going to turbo it I'm here for any tips. My plan is to mount a turbo at the rear of the exhaust under the rear subframe due to the fact that I have run out of space under the bonnet. I want to blow through my zx9r carbs. I'm running a canems Ecu. Anyone any ideas

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Someone on here has put a turbo under the boot. Worth a search to find it.

My tip would be to chuck the carbs in the bin and go injection.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Yep, I recall the "remote turbo" post that Will mentioned - and absolutely agree - ditch the carbs and go injection.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

I also remember.. I saved a pic of that somewhere...

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Pistonmad

3 Posts

Thanks for that. What turbo would you recommend? I'm going to run it pretty low boost to start with as I'm going to leave the engine standard it is a x16xel which is lower compression 8.8-1 1598cc. The only thing I've done to the engine is replace he rod bolts with arp items and replace the timing belt pullys with spd steel one. It made 150 bhp on the rolling road I'd be happy with a reliable 180bhp with a better torque figure. Does anyone know what sort of boost I'd need for +30/40bhp.. Thanks again for your help.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

You're going to need 8 to 10 psi, maybe less, I guessed a few things like what rpm limit you have.

No idea on the turbo, easiest way is to find one from a car with a similar bhp to your target.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Pistonmad

3 Posts

Thanks for your responses. Yes I do agree about the injection and throttle bodies they are infinitely more controllable and I know would make more power however I've got the carbs/manifold and Ecu That won't run injection so I'm going to stick with the carbs, I think they will make the power I want. Also out of interest I've been looking on some turbo bike forums and I believe these carbs are ideal for turbo installation as they are designed for a ram air inlet ie
inlet at the front of a motorcycle forcing the air in to the carbs a-la turbo.(of sorts). I'm wondering about having a stand alone oil tank/pump and cooler also rear mounted just for the turbo does anyone have any thoughts on this.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Turbo x16xe
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: