Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > From may 2018 tax exempt cars will also be MOT exempt too !! 😮

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

That certainly changes things...

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

hazpalmer

1648 Posts
Member #: 9038
Post Whore

Carlisle, Cumbria

I'd still rather have a professional look over my car just for piece of mind. And don't the rules state its had X% power increase then it'll need an MOT

Turbo This..

1767 Posts
Member #: 9165
Previously josh4444

Australia, brisbane

just make sure it "makes" x -1 hp

steve1275

852 Posts
Member #: 951
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

This is a much bigger can of worms, read the documentation, modified cars will have to stay within the '8 point rule' which means no cutting the bodyshell. Otherwise it's BIVA and Q plate. Effective from May next year on all cars over 40 years old.

'Where does the engine go?'

shane

2623 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I’d be concerned that it would encourage more cars to be mascaraded as something they’re not in order to reap the benifits and potentially inflate the market for all things pre ‘73.
The other danger is (and we’ve all seen this I’m sure) is some of the standards of piss poor “repairs” or “modifications” to minis that have either been at shows or for sale at least with the MOT system it provides a minimum safe standard which can only be a good thing?

Shane

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

Stupid idea.

Not sure how or why they think it's a good idea.

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

For the likes of body modifications under the 8 point rule, does this count additions to the chassis (like braces between chassis rails) or just modification (cutting/chopping) of existing rails? I guess I need to do some reading...

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

steve1275

852 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Cutting rather than stiffenng of the shell.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

So bulkead boxes, flip fronts, sprint minis, tubbed arches etc all in trouble n gonna be q's? *oh well*

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 15th Oct, 2017 steve1275 said:
This is a much bigger can of worms, read the documentation, modified cars will have to stay within the '8 point rule' which means no cutting the bodyshell. Otherwise it's BIVA and Q plate. Effective from May next year on all cars over 40 years old.

I think you are wrong, the documentation is somewhat grey in areas, but, I will point to to this https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/exempti...ehicle-approval which says that vehicles over 10 years old are exempt from 'Approval' but it does not say whether if you then radically modify the vehicle whether that exemption becomes void........ Grey area !

Edited by Sprocket on 15th Oct, 2017.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

JT

2742 Posts
Member #: 637
Post Whore

Hertfordshire

Might also be worth checking with your insurance.

My build thread..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=542985

D4VE

2974 Posts
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

A quick google brings up forums all worrying about this for years... so not gonna worry just yet

Shauna

1043 Posts
Member #: 10424
Post Whore

Swansea boyo!

I saw this a few weeks ago.. I think the only people who are happy about it are the people who would let their car get to a failure stage and still do nothing about it!

They don't die, they just get faster!

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

I've been panicking generally for a good few years as I have an import but it's far from standard so I'm trying to figure if it'll end up Q or IVC but I think it might be ok. I don't want to have to inspect it in standard form then add the mods later as that's a bit iffy plus extra faff.

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

steve1275

852 Posts
Post Whore

Bromsgrove

Sprocket, I think you are quoting from type approval. The new legislation is all about MOT and tax. It uses similar rules, and I think from May next year we will have to be careful what we declare. There is more detail coming on the definition of modified vehicles for MOT purposes at the end of November.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

I can see the point in someone trying to do something.

For example: You an fit an LS1 engine to a 1930s chassis and keep the cable operated brakes. Not really safe.

the idea is to regulate this sort of modification. The problem is, that unless there is specific requirements to satisfy, who is to say what's safe.

Mr MOT man can't work to 'satisfactory' as a guidance. He also won't have testing facilities to test anything beyond normal MOT requirements.

Ultimately I doubt that it will have much effect.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

MikeRace

6549 Posts
Member #: 1149
#1 Basshunter Fan

Force Racing ICT Dept Manager Miglia Turbo Am frum Yokshyer tha noes!

I agree with Wil on this one. I think it will come down to the Mot'er in the end.

On 16th Oct, 2017 wil_h said:
I can see the point in someone trying to do something.

For example: You an fit an LS1 engine to a 1930s chassis and keep the cable operated brakes. Not really safe.

the idea is to regulate this sort of modification. The problem is, that unless there is specific requirements to satisfy, who is to say what's safe.

Mr MOT man can't work to 'satisfactory' as a guidance. He also won't have testing facilities to test anything beyond normal MOT requirements.

Ultimately I doubt that it will have much effect.

1/4 Mile 14.3secs 96Mph Terminal 10psi of boost.

Fibreglass Parts? - http://www.tdkracing.co.uk/
Split Rims? - http://www.force-racing.co.uk/

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 16th Oct, 2017 steve1275 said:
Sprocket, I think you are quoting from type approval. The new legislation is all about MOT and tax. It uses similar rules, and I think from May next year we will have to be careful what we declare. There is more detail coming on the definition of modified vehicles for MOT purposes at the end of November.

It’s all relevant. You have a mini that is older than 10 years old and is already registered, an IVA is not required whether rebuilt or modified.

The new rules are an extension of this. With the new rules though,what constitutes as ‘Radically Modified’ is down to 8 point rule, which is designed to highlight the vehicles destined for a Q plate. This rule has been around for years, it’s nothing new. To receive a Q plate the car will have to go through an IVA, which is then exempt by its own rules as it is older than 10 years?......

I see nothing new, other than maybe the DVSA trying implement what’s been in place for years.

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

10 year rule only referring to imported cars i think .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 16th Oct, 2017 robert said:
10 year rule only referring to imported cars i think .

Whatever.

The way I read it, Vehicle registrations for radically altered vehicles is based on the 8 point rule, if the vehicle points accumulation is less than 8, you need to apply to the DVLA for a Q plate and they may then ask for an IVA. IVA for radically altered vehicles then exempts a car from the IVA if it is older than 10 years. You get a Q plate. If the points accumulation is 8 or more, winner winner chicken dinner, keep your original plate *Clapping*

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations...storic-interest

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations...storic-interest

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

I have been sufficiently concerned at the proposed changes to sell my turbo A35 and move on to something else.
Difficult decision after 38 years with the car

Turbo Phil

4621 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

On 17th Oct, 2017 tadge44 said:
I have been sufficiently concerned at the proposed changes to sell my turbo A35 and move on to something else.
Difficult decision after 38 years with the car

Noooooooooo !!!!

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

I really don't understand what people are worried about.

Home > General Chat > From may 2018 tax exempt cars will also be MOT exempt too !! 😮
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: