Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > BINI timing chain

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Gents

It seems the timing chain guides on the wife’s supercharged BINI have shit themselves. I did the tensioner a while ago but last night she has been out and came back reporting it sounding like a diesel at idle. Not a bad description to be fair.

Anyway after any info really on what sort of a job it is to sort it. Not looking forward to it as I know access is a swine in anything I’ve had to do to it.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

been nearly 4 years since I last done one, but IIRC, front end into service mode, OSF inner arch liner, engine mount, cam cover, timing cover and your in.

obviously im simplifiying quite a bit, its a lot of work, but i dont recall it being particularly hard.

As i recall you can get away without the timing tools but i'd buy them to be safe given how cheap they are.

the big issue youll face is if the guides have been pounded to bits, the sump and oil pickup are likely full of debris, at that point youll need to remove the sump, which IIRC is doable in situ but pretty unplesant.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

could do you a good deal on a nice Bini that is supposed to sound like a diesel

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

Thank you Denis, piss off Rob, LOLE

Like fuel 😂😂

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Member #: 9764
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

do a full timing chain kit on it.

they aren't to bad to do but make sure you change all the seals and you'll need a harmonic damper puller. make sure it has m6 bolts with it as most dont come with them.

also drop the sump chances are the timing chain guide has broken and ended up in the sump and the oil pick up will end up getting blocked.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

Right back to this

After arrival of no 1 daughter said BINI has been parked up since November waiting time/enthusiasm from me to sort it out

I've got the new chain kit complete with all the seals etc

What I'm after if anyone has them, is the timing tools to borrow/hire, I don't really want to have to buy them just for 1 job if I can avoid it......

Anyone have them, or know a mate who has them, or uses a BINI forum and might be able to arrange a borrow/hire?

Cheers
Tom

Like fuel 😂😂

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

Alright dude, john dropped me a text asked if i had one unfortunately i don't.

just a heads up though careful when removing the rockets as the little followers in the end can drop out and the plastic retainers arent a stock item at bmw anymore.

also rocket cover careful when you refit it the like to warp if done wrong and leak

if you round any bolts or lose any rubbers give me a shout i've got loads of spares of them ill chuck a few in the post for you.

On 28th Mar, 2018 Tom Fenton said:
Right back to this

After arrival of no 1 daughter said BINI has been parked up since November waiting time/enthusiasm from me to sort it out

I've got the new chain kit complete with all the seals etc

What I'm after if anyone has them, is the timing tools to borrow/hire, I don't really want to have to buy them just for 1 job if I can avoid it......

Anyone have them, or know a mate who has them, or uses a BINI forum and might be able to arrange a borrow/hire?

Cheers
Tom

Chalkie

1909 Posts
Post Whore

Northamptonshire.

ingore my comment about removing the rockers thought a cam change was being done. been a long day

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > BINI timing chain
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: