Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Gt14

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Axel found a turbo in a skip yesterday (along with 3 Mini Special/Exaction wheels, but that's another story :) )

Looked it up and found that it is a GT14 of a Fiat 1.9 JTD. Looks ideal for Axel's 998 that I built for low boost 100hp.

Odd thing is that all these years turboing 998s and never heard of a GT14. Anyone else heard of it?

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

TurboTom

248 Posts
Member #: 7936

DK-8450 Hammel. Denmark

Ups. What is the bolt patern ? *smiley*

If i have more toys than you when i die, I WIN

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Flanges are odd. Turbine inlet that you can see is not T2/GT20 but similar. Turbine outlet looks like a GT1544 but need to check if they're the same.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Just to calrify, it came with the spare core and broken shaft but appears to have been rebuilt on a spare core as there's no play on the shaft and wheels look OK.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Nice skip find! I’m surprised that you can get conventional flange small Turbo units, many I’ve seen these days have the turbine housing as part of the exh manifold.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

TurboTom

248 Posts
Member #: 7936

DK-8450 Hammel. Denmark

This could be very interresting. Some of the 1,9 jtd turbos are listed as gt1544 aswell.
I can´t find the turbine inlet bolt pattern though.

If i have more toys than you when i die, I WIN

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I think that this is effectively an early version of the GT1544. Similar compressor but with a higher A/R on the turbine side 0.40 instead of 0.34. Turbine outlet looks very much like the GT1544.

I've always avoided the GT1544 because of the restrictive turbine but this looks ideal for a modest 998 turbo like Axel's.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

IIRC all the 1.9 jtd turbochargers from the pre-common rail 8v wastegated tiny things to the largest gt17v on the later common rail 8v engines are the same turbine inlet bolt pattern, was the 16v engine that had the manifolds and turbine housings cast as one piece.

EDIT some earlyier 16v engines may have came with split housing/manifold too. but i have never seen an 8v witha one piece manifold/turbo.

Edited by evolotion on 11th Nov, 2017.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

More photos of GT1444 here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TURBOCHARGER-TUR...EUAAOSwCJxaBGNh

Obviously too small for a 1275 but still of interest.

Paul R

4018 Posts
Member #: 1757
Back to Fucking Tool status

Swindon

I have a gtb1449 on my focus derv, turbo will give a max of 200bhp, would work well on a small bore I think.

Drives
-Ford S-max Mk2 Ecoboost
-Rover 100 VVC #2 - track project

Searching is all you need on TurboMinis

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Update, measured the turbine. Smaller diameter than the GT1544, so that would explain the higher A/R. Trim is 67 ish.

Not so sure that it is that much better than the GT1544 now but will still use it.... probably.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Gt14
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: