Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > How are people plumbing the cooling system on their twin cam builds

JetBLICK

243 Posts
Member #: 1261

Droitwich

Are you running header or expansion tanks? How are you bleeding the system?

I found this pic whilst researching on the site. shows the waterways go quite high up in the head, much higher than the water outlet on the head.. Im wandering how or if this is dealt with. I'm planning on a front mount, so makes things a bit more tricky compared to the sidemount, as I've got to place the filler somewhere else..

Any pics of what others have done and have working?

Dan

JetBLICK

243 Posts

Droitwich

Just found this interesting set up on a youtube vid. Must be a open deck set up to be working how it is. But im wandering if you could do something where you come out the block into swirl/filler neck then back into the block if you were closed deck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkf16UafcZo

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Remember they are tipped on their side in a bike.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

JetBLICK

243 Posts

Droitwich

Yea exactly, obviously that area above the outlet fills up on a bike, but in a mini it must not, unless people are drilling and tapping for a bleed nipple?

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I just welded a small boss on the inlet face at the intersection of vertical and angled part, and put a 4mm hole through the casting. A small nipple and hose then heads back to the top hose.

You can just about see the boss behind the red fitting on the fuel rail, and the other end going into the top of the thermostat housing.

Edited by TurboDave16V on 17th Nov, 2017.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

JetBLICK

243 Posts

Droitwich

That's interesting, so you've added a self bleed/higher outlet, smart

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

TurboHarry went an even better route and moved the outlet higher (chopping out that lump of alloy with the big hole that was the k1100 engine mount... I looked at doing that as well, but decided I liked having the bracket there as it’s a useful point to lift the engine out with...

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

Dave,
What make is that connector on the left of your scuttle?
Looks like a neat solution!

Very nice engine bay

JetBLICK

243 Posts

Droitwich

Any pics? I cut that lump back already cos it was ugly :lol:

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

On 18th Nov, 2017 Nic said:
Dave,
What make is that connector on the left of your scuttle?
Looks like a neat solution!

Very nice engine bay

Looks similar to these.

http://www.trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/p179.html

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Are the two core plugs on the top of the head water? Was thinking about teeing off then and venting to header tank

Edited by minimole23 on 18th Nov, 2017.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Deutsch hdp20 47 pin.
Not cheap, but definately worth it...
I strongly reccommend the 47 pin as you have lots of spares, and some high-current as well as low current pins.

It’s worth getting a baggie of extra blanking plugs as well as the removal tools for the one time you put a pin in wrong lol
The kits on eBay (USA) come with a few spare pins & sockets though.

The mil-spec connectors (amphenol?) are good robust units, but don’t have the seals / strain relief of the deutsch and are solder only; but then again unless you have the pukka crimp tool (mine was a lucky car-boot Sale find), it can take a little practice to properly crimp the deutsch connector pins as you need to crimp in a way the pin stays straight...

Edited by TurboDave16V on 18th Nov, 2017.

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

I was just coming on here to ask if you used the tool.

Thanks for the info Dave and Jonny, some food for thought

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 18th Nov, 2017 minimole23 said:
Are the two core plugs on the top of the head water? Was thinking about teeing off then and venting to header tank

Attachments:

Edited by Sprocket on 19th Nov, 2017.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

JetBLICK

243 Posts

Droitwich

On 19th Nov, 2017 Sprocket said:

Thats interesting, do you bleed the system through those holes too?

Looks like you've had the same issue im having.. where the ecu and gauges use different types of sensors, so you gotta double up on most of them. Very annoying. - unless one's reading oil?

Edited by JetBLICK on 20th Nov, 2017.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

That looks like the standard mini temp sensor and the bosch 0280130026 that almost every ECU manufacturer uses.

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Just visited John Kimmins and picked up most of the stuff for the build including freshly machined block and head together with all the extras and asked him this question. His opinion is that the air will evacuate itself as the temperature rises if you leave the pressure cap off on the first start up. That is what I will be doing anyway.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Interesting Sprocket. Thats a useful place to put some sensors anyway.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 20th Nov, 2017 minimole23 said:
Interesting Sprocket. Thats a useful place to put some sensors anyway.

Yep, that is definately something I’d not considered; mine went into the lower thermostat housing, which I then realised wasn’t earthed so needed to run yet another wire! Rest assured; I’m plagiarising this idea the next time. *smiley*

R.Rodrigues

67 Posts
Member #: 8956
Advanced Member

Algarve/Portugal

I thought in the same place for the sensors, but always thought that was to close from the spark plugs and could interfere whit the readings.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 20th Nov, 2017 JetBLICK said:

On 19th Nov, 2017 Sprocket said:

Thats interesting, do you bleed the system through those holes too?

Looks like you've had the same issue im having.. where the ecu and gauges use different types of sensors, so you gotta double up on most of them. Very annoying. - unless one's reading oil?

To be honest, i'm not using the sensor anymore. That picture was from 2010 lol. I'm using an MPi thermostat sandwich plate now and the sensor is now in that. I'm still using the temp sender for the dash in the top of the head, but, the latest version firmware for my ECU now has a temp gauge output and i'm tempted to use that at a later date.

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 22nd Nov, 2017 R.Rodrigues said:
I thought in the same place for the sensors, but always thought that was to close from the spark plugs and could interfere whit the readings.

I don't think it matters much. you only have to look how close the K1200 coolant temp sensor is to number 4 exhaust port. The coolant temp sensor is only really there for fueling, the actual value doesn't matter much as long as the fueling is calibrated to what ever temperatures it does read. Being human, you tend to think too much about stuff when it doesnt really matter, so long as the value changes, and the fueling along with it, the sensor could be measuring 85 bananas for all its worth, as long as it is repeatable.

It may be precise, but it may not be accurate. It may be accurate, but it may not be precise.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 22nd Nov, 2017 R.Rodrigues said:

It's not really the proximity of the sensors to high voltage things like spark plugs, but the proximity of sensor wires to HT leads. Not so much for affecting the reading but because it can put high voltage "noise" onto any number of the ECU sensor inputs (because they all share the same the same CPU reference voltage) which can lead to all sorts of other issues.
So I would be more concerned where you run the wires rather than the sensor location itself.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > How are people plumbing the cooling system on their twin cam builds
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: