Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > pushrod holes in block

paul wiginton
Forum Mod

5933 Posts
Member #: 784
9 times Avon Park Class C winner

Milton Keynes

Ive always had slight witness marks on my pushrods where they are contacting the block, have any of you lot ever opened them up a touch for clearance?

I seriously doubt it!

miniminor63

1849 Posts
Member #: 672
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

I had a chat about this with my engine builder. (Builds miglia and historic engines) He used to try to use custom push rods or open the holes up, but it ended up being more trouble than it was worth according to him. My engine also have these tiny marks on the pushrods

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Phil’s your man for the best idea, but didn’t andy have have to sleeve one head as it went though? I seem to remember on the post there wasn’t much meat?

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

In my experience, there's loads of meat in the block, unless you've ground a load off the outside if course,

I think I ran a 14mm drill trough to clearance for carbon pushrods.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Is there not pics of a chopped up block somewhere?

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

miniminor63

1849 Posts
Member #: 672
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

Thinking about it, they are also close at the top of the head, it might have been the head that was troublesome to enlarge.

That said, mine do not touch on dry build, but still comes up shiny after use. Due to slight bending/vibrations i guess, does the block act like a support for them? Do we risk bent rods if something i done to avoid them touching?

paul wiginton
Forum Mod

5933 Posts
Member #: 784
9 times Avon Park Class C winner

Milton Keynes

Looking at the two outermost, they are slightly larger than the rest anyway. Im only thinking of opening them maybe 20 thou or so and probably not all the way through but maybe just the top 1 inch

I seriously doubt it!

Earwax

109 Posts
Member #: 10368
Advanced Member

Australia

The blocks are a bit variable and the pushrod holrd at some small angle or some are ( if you were going to jig it up). I have bigger diameter lifters in my historic racer .875 i think. ( it is possible to go through and need to sleeve, but for the rubbing just file away ..... no problem and indeed better to put the mind at ease. I have seen a few of these, using OEM and aftermarket rods, i think it is related to rpm????

fastcarl

6962 Posts
Member #: 507
Fastest A Series Mini in the World

leeds/wakefield.

I've had rubbing marks, but it appeared to be they were form the head gasket miss match as the marks were at that exact place on the rod, this only happened on my super
high lift Nitrous cams.

carl

WWW.FORCE-RACING.CO.UK PLEASE CLICK HERE

slater

1030 Posts
Member #: 1291
Post Whore

Suffolk / Birmingham

Theres a bit in Vizards Bible about the carbon pushrods isn't there? Does it mention drilling them out?

Earwax

109 Posts
Member #: 10368
Advanced Member

Australia

hi lift cam rate , another possibility, ( good thinking)
the head gaskets on the issues i have seen are the MLS cometic ones, various thickness and all have had the block slightly recessed so that silly press rivet doesn't interfere with the mating surface. Mr K Calver does some oversize lifters.. but as Paul mentioned the rubbing is usually the top of the block end

Home > Technical Chat > pushrod holes in block
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: